Rattle in front end after brake job --need help !

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Rattle in front end after brake job --need help !

Hi guys. So I took my wifes 2007 RDX in for an inspection and STS tire said we need new pads and rotors all the way around. I have had this particular STS shop do brakes before with no issue a few years ago and have done other routine maintenance without issue.
UNTIL NOW. They gave me a ridiculous quote on OEM parts so I decided to buy my own brakes and rotors (duralast gold cmax pads and duralast rotors all the way around)
I had them do the labor.
Now the front end rattles near the right tire. I have brought it back to them multiple times and the last time they took everything apart and sprayed everything with silicone and said they didn't hear any noise after driving. And neither did I after I picked it up--but I only drove it a few miles. After driving it some more, I definitely hear the rattle coming from the front right side. It is not when I brake at all. Just when driving. It is more pronounced after I hit any type of bump in the road. Not sure what my recourse is here, apparently they no longer have the same techs there, and I have little to no faith in their ability to diagnose or fix the issue.
I do not know how to do brakes, nor do I have the time to do so.
Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:22 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Duralast Gold C-Max are nice brakes. I installed them on my RDX over a year ago, and they are silent.

1st possibility: They left caliper or bracket bolts loose. It doesn't sound that way and let's hope not, but you should verify.

2nd possibility: Missing or bent anti-rattle clips. The pads fit inside these clips and they do just what their name says. If the pad can move inside the anti-rattle clip, it will rattle over bumps with no brakes applied.

Put the car on level ground, in neutral, with female marriage unit in the driver seat. Push it forward and have her stop it with the brake. Then roll it backward and have her stop it. If the pad(s) has movement, it will clank or click when it shifts in each direction.

ps. Silicone spray will briefly cure on-brake squeaking, but it does nothing for off-brake rattling.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Duralast Gold C-Max are nice brakes. I installed them on my RDX over a year ago, and they are silent.

1st possibility: They left caliper or bracket bolts loose. It doesn't sound that way and let's hope not, but you should verify.

2nd possibility: Missing or bent anti-rattle clips. The pads fit inside these clips and they do just what their name says. If the pad can move inside the anti-rattle clip, it will rattle over bumps with no brakes applied.

Put the car on level ground, in neutral, with female marriage unit in the driver seat. Push it forward and have her stop it with the brake. Then roll it backward and have her stop it. If the pad(s) has movement, it will clank or click when it shifts in each direction.

ps. Silicone spray will briefly cure on-brake squeaking, but it does nothing for off-brake rattling.
Thanks for the reply. When you say "push it forward" do you mean with the car running or literally pushing it with the car off ? I assume you mean off but just want to be clear.
Also---when you put your brakes on--did u use the original anti-rattle clips from the OEM brakes or the anti rattle clips that came with the Cmax pads ?
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
I wire-brushed and reused the OEM clips, as they looked like better quality. The Duralast clips should work OK as well, but, I haven't used them.

The objective is to hear the pads shift inside the bracket, which is usually easier, when manually rolling the car. When she applies the brake rolling forward, loose pads will shift down in the bracket, making a metallic click. Roll it backward and apply the brake; loose pads will shift up and click.

Holding the brake and shifting between D and R applies the same pressure, if you let the car roll slightly each way. It's just a bit harder to hear.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
I wire-brushed and reused the OEM clips, as they looked like better quality. The Duralast clips should work OK as well, but, I haven't used them.

The objective is to hear the pads shift inside the bracket, which is usually easier, when manually rolling the car. When she applies the brake rolling forward, loose pads will shift down in the bracket, making a metallic click. Roll it backward and apply the brake; loose pads will shift up and click.

Holding the brake and shifting between D and R applies the same pressure, if you let the car roll slightly each way. It's just a bit harder to hear.
I wonder if the OEM clips can be used with the after market brakes. I am hesitant to even take it to any acura stealership for fear they will say--"oh those duralast pads are crap we need you to have OEM everything. Please write us a check for 800.00 and we will do it RIGHT."
FU acura.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
The OEM pads are crap too.