Put new brake pads on, amazing difference, highly recommend!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Put new brake pads on, amazing difference, highly recommend!

In some other threads people have been talking about the brakes on the RDX. Especially that they were less-than-confidence-inspiring. I also felt that they seems a little slow to respond, and found myself being extra careful to leave more space than usual between myself and other cars because of that loss of confidence in the responsiveness. Well, I didn't want to buy a whole braking system, and I have had great experience with just changing the pads on vehicles before, so I bought a set of EBC YellowStuff 4000 SUV pads for the fronts on the RDX.

First, in case anyone wants to know, the front pads are a breeze to install on the car. Lift the vehicle, take off the wheel, and there are only two bolts that you have to remove to switch the pads: one is the upper caliper bolt, this lets you rotate the caliper out of the way, and the second is a little bolt holding the brake hose in place, this gives you enough room to finish lowering the caliper all the way and completely out of the way. The old pads pull out, the new ones snap in, and voila', just swing the caliper back up, and bolt the two bolts back on. Put back your wheel, you are done with the installation.

I picked the Yelllowstuff 4000 SUV because it is the most agressive without being a true racepad that requires heating up. This is a street vehicle after all. However, EBC brake pads do require a 'break-in' period before they bed completely. It's pretty easy. basically it involves taking the car out for a drive, and repeatedly stopping from about 40 miles an hour, more and more quickly. It also requires about 100 miles of driving. Now, that doesn't mean the brakes don't work during that time, it just means that they are settling in. As you drive the car, you will notice that your braking is getting quicker and quicker. When you first start off, it already feels a little more responsive that the original pads, but after the 100 mile mark, it's amazing. It now feels to me like a BMW brake in terms of responsiveness, intial bite, and much quicker stopping.

While the break-in is occuring, you will also hear squealing while it settles down. It took me about 140 miles to get it to completely get quiet, but I've driven it all weekend about 200 miles, and it's fantastic.

I had high hopes and it exceeded my expectations. I would recommend these pads to any of you who want to feel that type pf confidence again in your vehicle.

The pads were about $100, but well worth it in my opinion. Installation of the pads took me about 15 minutes for each side.

If anyone is in my area of the world [San Antonio], I can help you install them in my garage if you have never changed brake pads before. Or if you want to see the difference, bring over your RDX, we can drive them back to back so you can feel the responsiveness vs your stock pads.

Anyway, I thought I would put forth my positive experience.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Cruisin'

is ebc yellow a semi racing pad?? I am looking to get ebc green. I think green will be better for canada winter.

can you post your ebc yellow part number please.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Racer

sweet - thanks for the tip!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Cruisin'

I also have just install a set of EBC brakes over the weekend... I purchase the Greenstuff 7000 SUV Pads...

As posted above... Installations was simple.... took me 30min for both side....

After the install... took it for a spin.... and GOD what i difference..... i no longer need to step on the brakes hard to stop the car.......

But i do notice there is a bit a squealing.... Hope this will go away later on.......

Higher recommended to anyone......It cost me $120 (CDN....Freaking Tax!!!).....
Old 09-04-2007, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good review and great purchase made!

I have considered many times for EBC pads, but sort of stayed away, due to the harder material used in these brakepads. Hence the tougher grip, it can be a llittle harsh on the rotors, so I stayed with oem pads for the civic. Noticed I said civic.

I am sure that you purchased awesome pads that performs, but I will have to pass on the RDX; although, I will buy a set for the civic. I almost had an encounter (civic) over the weekend with the stock pads and "brembo blank" combination. HAWK pads are also a good brand to buy.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was about to say, Great that you changed the brake pads, but what about the rotors man? they must take a hit.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Instructor

Cool! I've been looking for something to improve the RDX's stopping power. Has anyone tried switching the rotors for the RDX as well? http://www.innerauto.com/store/produ...=brake_pad_set

The above link recommends the EBC sports rotor with the application of their EBC brake pads.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:04 AM
Advanced

Questions and part #

First, here is the part number I ordered:

DP41743R

As someone else posted, you could go with the GreenStuff, it's still going to be better than stock [at least it sounds like it].

I talked with EBC about the pads being more agressive. According to them, it will reduce the life of the rotor by about 10%. Since rotors last a long time, if I can get 30,000 miles out of them, it was well worth it. I don't see why I can't get at least that amount. My previous cars all went closer to 60,000 before needing a rotor change, so I think I am being pretty conservative.

As for the squeal that someone else noted, as I said, and it says on the box, give it about 100 miles to set and the squeal goes away. On my box, it actually says that if you go 200 miles or so, and it hasn't gone away, they'll give you your money back.

For the person in Canada, there was a question about using it in the winter. These are street pads, the don't appear to have any temp limitations. Now, the RedStuff version full racing pad IS something I would not use, since it does have temp restrictions on it. But the YellowStuff for our vehicles is a street pad for heavy vehicles. There is also not supposed to be very much dust with the YellowStuff.

If anyone has more technical questions about things like that, you can also email the technical support at EBC Brakes, they are in the UK, so there might be a delay depending on the time you send the email, but they will respond. They seem like good blokes to me

technical@ebcbrakesuk.com

cartechnical@ebcbrakesuk.com

Thanks for the feedback, I just know that this was an area that people have had some regrets with, and I think this addresses it pretty well and doesn't take very much time.

Thank you, EBC for a well needed product.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:40 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Would you consider getting different rotors? or stick w/ stock.
I figure, if your going into the brakes, why not do the whole thing?
including changing the 07 suspension..hehe
Old 09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good info to have, thanks for posting it. I have found my RDX brakes to feel quite responsive for an SUV; maybe that's because I am used to driving my gf's XL-7 which is a monster to stop! Ha.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Advanced

No need for rotors

Nyjumpman,

I don't think I would change the rotors, I think the vehicle has everything it needs. It's just right, I don't want it to be toooo sensitive and I think a better rotor would be more than I want for my RDX.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

i'm glad your happy with it.
Us HOnda/ACura people always try to help each other out and show support
do you have an '07?
or 08?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Racer

Are there any brake pads out there that won't wear down the rotors? Or will this be typical with any sort of upgrade that we do?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:00 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by happywithmyrdx
Nyjumpman,

I don't think I would change the rotors, I think the vehicle has everything it needs. It's just right, I don't want it to be toooo sensitive and I think a better rotor would be more than I want for my RDX.
A better rotor is a GREAT thing for the RDX, particularly in the rear, fade city back there, Rear vented rotors FTW.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

I guess I t also depend os on the surface you drive on, (road basis)
cause i know in city driving/NYC - there's alot of cracks n what not..
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Instructor

Wow, great info! Stock RDX pads due tend to fade some. Three questions...

1. $100...does this replace pads on all four wheels?

2. Web site where I can purchase these pads?

3. Replacement sounds simple, but anyplace on the web with step-by-step pics of process?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not that it makes a difference for this thread, but I just picked up a set of EBC greenstuff for the civic at buybrakes.com - their coupon for $10 off (expires august 31) still works!

I drove the RDX earlier tonight and played with the brakes. I honestly do not have any complaints, although, it may seem a bit unresponsive at times, but it's managible. Unlike the civic, I do not drive as spirited in the RDX
Old 09-06-2007, 02:53 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon
Are there any brake pads out there that won't wear down the rotors? Or will this be typical with any sort of upgrade that we do?
When I had a Touareg (5300 lb SUV) I installed EBC GreenStuff pads on new OEM rotors. (The OEM pads had worn 4 mm into the rotors.)

The EBC pads were effective, quiet and low dust. After 35000 miles I had about .015mm rotor wear. Couldn't have measured it without my digital electronic caliper.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
When I had a Touareg (5300 lb SUV) I installed EBC GreenStuff pads on new OEM rotors. (The OEM pads had worn 4 mm into the rotors.)

The EBC pads were effective, quiet and low dust. After 35000 miles I had about .015mm rotor wear. Couldn't have measured it without my digital electronic caliper.
Thanks man. Just out of curiousity...how much wear can the rotors take before they need replacing?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Boon
Thanks man. Just out of curiousity...how much wear can the rotors take before they need replacing?
Min thickness is stamped on the rotor. Some companies publish min service thickness, but Acura publishes a refinishing limit.

From the RDX Service Manual:

Front disc measures 28 mm new and refinishing limit is 26 mm (page 19-15).

Rear disc measures 9 mm new and refinishing limit is 7.5 mm (page 19-27).

Some may interpret that to mean the disc may be refinished once if it's at the limit.

My take is 26 mm and 7.5 mm are hard limits; replace.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
Min thickness is stamped on the rotor. Some companies publish min service thickness, but Acura publishes a refinishing limit.

From the RDX Service Manual:

Front disc measures 28 mm new and refinishing limit is 26 mm (page 19-15).

Rear disc measures 9 mm new and refinishing limit is 7.5 mm (page 19-27).

Some may interpret that to mean the disc may be refinished once if it's at the limit.

My take is 26 mm and 7.5 mm are hard limits; replace.
Cool. Sounds like upgrading to the EBC pads might even keep the rotors lasting longer. Did you buy a set of 4? Or just 2 for the front?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:18 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking yellow stuff

I just ordered mine, looking foward to the additional stopping power!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Updates and answers to other questions here....

Someone asked if I did all four pads:
I only did the front pads, it stopped so well I didn't change the rears. It was a gigantic difference.

Someone asked about rear fade:
I've put on about 400 miles with the new pads. I don't experience any fade whatsoever with repeated braking from 70 mph. This is why I chose the yellowstuff over the Greenstuff version, to also remove fade from repeated stops.

Someone asked about pics:
I really should have, but I didn't take pics of the brake pad change, if someone wanted to do it, I could walk them over the phone while they were doing it, it's that easy. Then maybe they could take the pics and post them for all of us Seriously, if someone was interested in doing the change, I would give out a phone number and we could schedule a call, I'd love to help out another member that might be nervous about it.

No dusting whatsoever occurring with these pads either, much cleaner wheels than the OEM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Oh and...

Someone asked about year:
it's an 07

Someone asked about a web site:
Yellow and green stuff:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pr...model_text=rdx
or
http://www2.partstrain.com/partlisti...+Brake+Pad+Set
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 AM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow colored stuff...

Happy, did you install the regular yellow pads or the SUV yellows. I ask because im seeing that the Regular Yellow brake pads are "FRONT YELLOW STUFF BRAKE PAD SET -- Yellow Stuff, The Ultimate Race Brake Pad For Highly Tuned Cars On Both Street And Track". They seem like overkill for the RDX, So Ive also seen the SUV version of the yellows and was interested if those were the ones you actually have. Any feedback would help. I want better stopping power ASAP!!!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Did anyone try Akebono pads on RDX?
Old 10-06-2007, 12:05 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

do they only work for the 07 RDX?
what about the 08?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced

Yellow Stuff responses

I used the Yellow stuff because it was the best braking pad without going to a race pad [Red Stuff]. I figured since it is a heavy vehicle that the Yellow would be a better choice, since I would rather have a car stop even faster than I hoped for rather than be underwhelmed by the lower rated pad. However, I am hearing from people now that the Green Stuff Pad is also a really good pad and that people felt a tremendous improvement with it also. I'm sure part of this is personal preference. If you feel that the brakes are pretty good already then a Green Stuff pad might be just fine. I wanted to see what was the absolute best I could do with just a pad change, because if that didn't satisfy me, then I was going to put on better rotors, and if I thought I was close enough, I would add the EBC pads to the back brakes also. This way there was no second guessing. I suppose if the brakes just locked up so hard with the yellow stuff that I was unhappy, I know then I could just step back to the Green Stuff and be done with it. It's like a good intermediate step for me. The only real tradeoff was that it did take closer to 200 miles to break the squealling noise, then they went nice and quiet again.

NYJumpman 23 asked about 08, I check with EBC and they said it was the same pad as the 07's.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

thanx happy.
Appreciate the input.
I'm considering the breakpads, but will doing this kill the warrenty?
Or can i bring it acura and have them install it?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:47 PM
B A N N E D

They would only kill the warranty, if the pads were to be a direct cause of failure for whatever part that might be covered under warranty. Like if you're under 12K miles and 12MO, and the rotors were warped, they would not be covered under warranty.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Is everyone who thinks the brakes are soft driving an 07? I test drove the 07, and agree that the brakes were terrible. I bought the 08, and the brakes seem rather good. Any chance this is another minor improvement made to the 08?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:56 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Icenoir..could be the re-adjustment on the suspension on the '08.
But I personally think(who owns the '08 rdx tech) the brakes could still be improved
Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced

Warped rotors...

Brake pads themselves are not covered under warranty, but I suppose a rotor might be, even though it is a consumable. If the rotor warps, it's probably because it was prone to warping more than the pad. I did have a Honda that warped rotors, but it did that with stock pads.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by happywithmyrdx
Brake pads themselves are not covered under warranty, but I suppose a rotor might be, even though it is a consumable. If the rotor warps, it's probably because it was prone to warping more than the pad. I did have a Honda that warped rotors, but it did that with stock pads.
What is everyone's take on this? I just turned 15k miles on stock rotor and brake pads and I can feel that the rotor is starting to warp just like it did on my Honda Pilot. Do you think Acura would cover the warped rotors?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsherules911
What is everyone's take on this? I just turned 15k miles on stock rotor and brake pads and I can feel that the rotor is starting to warp just like it did on my Honda Pilot. Do you think Acura would cover the warped rotors?
Nothing to loose by trying. They might say that you drove thru a puddle when the rotors were heated from brake use though.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
B A N N E D

After 12K the brakes and rotors are not covered.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Meat Popsicle

The 01 CL and TL had some issue with brake rotor warping. They changed front rotors and new type pads on my CL at 21K.
No charge.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
After 12K the brakes and rotors are not covered.
Just wondering, is this stated somewhere?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Pro

Subscribing to this thread. Who ever decides to change their pads next, please...please post pics. Tks.

HappywithmyRDX: You don't need a c-clamp to compress the brake piston? Just simply snap the pads into place and bolt the caliper back on?

Quick Reply: Put new brake pads on, amazing difference, highly recommend!