Owner's Opinions: RDX City Driving "Jumpy"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owner's Opinions: RDX City Driving "Jumpy"?

I was wondering if any owners out there can comment on how the RDX driving experience is in the city. I've found myself doing about 80/20 city-highway driving nowadays. I vaguely remember the RDX being a little jumpy on turns from a dead stop in my test drive last October...didn't bother me enough to really take note but I'm wondering if it'll become annoying in the long run.

Other online reviews and opinions have mentioned this sort of jumpiness too. Anyone find this is the case?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I often drive in NYC and I find the RDX to be great there. It feels solid on all those crappy roads and it zips around traffic like a small sports car and not like a 4000lbs SUV.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear

My driving ratio is about 80/20 as well and I don't think it is "jumpy". The suspension is tight, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by sasair
I often drive in NYC and I find the RDX to be great there. It feels solid on all those crappy roads and it zips around traffic like a small sports car and not like a 4000lbs SUV.
i know right! its eazy to forget that you are driving a 4000 lbs SUV
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DNPhotography
i know right! its eazy to forget that you are driving a 4000 lbs SUV
Exactly.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Instructor

I drive in upstate NY where pot holes are the norm and I have no problems at all.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Boon
I was wondering if any owners out there can comment on how the RDX driving experience is in the city. I've found myself doing about 80/20 city-highway driving nowadays. I vaguely remember the RDX being a little jumpy on turns from a dead stop in my test drive last October...didn't bother me enough to really take note but I'm wondering if it'll become annoying in the long run.

Other online reviews and opinions have mentioned this sort of jumpiness too. Anyone find this is the case?
I think it handles great as well but what exactly do you mean by jumpy?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Racer

Is the OP complaining about the suspension or the throttle?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
RDX Tech CGP/Ebony

It sounds like the post is referring to the non-linear engine response (turbo spooling up) from a stop. I think I recall one of the early reviews mentioning this about driving in a parking lot. I don't find it an issue but yes, if you push the throttle down and spin up the turbo when you didn't want to, it could be described as jumpy. It is a matter of being smooth on the throttle and getting accustomed to the throttle response. For some that may require a change to their driving style. If you have driven a manual it may come easier since you're generally more aware of feedback from the engine.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driving on the freeway: no problems. Driving in severe stop and go traffic (ie no turbo): no problems. Driving it in normal city driving can be a bit jarring as the turbo and auto transmission don't always seem to be in sync. The worst is when the turbo is engaging at the same time that the transmission is shifting gears. Switching to manual shifting helps a bit but you can't overcome it entirely.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by stappy
It sounds like the post is referring to the non-linear engine response (turbo spooling up) from a stop. I think I recall one of the early reviews mentioning this about driving in a parking lot. I don't find it an issue but yes, if you push the throttle down and spin up the turbo when you didn't want to, it could be described as jumpy. It is a matter of being smooth on the throttle and getting accustomed to the throttle response. For some that may require a change to their driving style. If you have driven a manual it may come easier since you're generally more aware of feedback from the engine.
I agree. I'm usually pretty gentle with the throttle until I get up to 30 or so, then I'll spool up the turbo if I need (or want) to. Using this method, acceleration always seems pretty smooth to me.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Racer

Yep, you explained what I meant perfectly. I've only ever driven automatics so that may be why I remember experiencing the "jumpiness". Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have a highlander. now THAT's jumpy!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 PM
From '04 TL to '07 RDX

I totally agree - and often find myself going manual in stop-n-go traffic
Old 06-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I first got it I found the throttle to be touchy - it was hard to get a reasonably sedate launch out of it. Nowadays I've adjusted and can start up more smoothly, but the throttle does still seem a little on the touchy side - as in, I can adjust, but I'd rather have more low-end control than to have to adjust.

I came from a manual and my impression would be that it is harder to adjust since a manual gives you much more control over what you are doing, but driving an automatic (and especially one with the throttle response characteristics of the RDX) is an experiment in meta-control - requesting one thing via control inputs in order to achieve the somewhat different outcome that you've learned will follow.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
RDX Tech CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by flar
I came from a manual and my impression would be that it is harder to adjust ...
I probably should have used the word "quicker" rather than "easier". I agree it can be frustrating trying to control more variables than you have inputs when you are accustom to full control. But, I find that having the manual mindset, I'm always aware of what the engine and tranny are doing and I find that helps with the learning curve. Without the tach and boost gauge, it would be a much slower process for me.

Of course my city drving is pretty flat (DC) so boost is unnecssary. I can see where city hills would require another level of throttle control.