Newbie - Buy Now or Later?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie - Buy Now or Later?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've been the proud owner of a 2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S for seven years and have thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it does have 125,000 miles on it and a two-door car is just not working for me anymore, especially since my husband and I plan to start a family sometime in the next year. I really like the RDX.

I'm strongly considering purchasing a 2008 RDX sometime between now and the end of the year. Acura has been upping the incentives and financing options recently and I have to wonder if it will only get better given the economy, gas prices, and the release of the 2009's. I know that no one has a crystal ball, but things remaining the same, would it be a pretty safe bet that my best deal will come sometime around the the time the 2009's arrive? When will that be? Around September maybe? Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Instructor

2009's come in June, according to a lot of posts on this forum. There are some great deals now on 2008's ($5000 factory to dealer incentives on Tech Pkg vehicles).

However, you may kick yourself depending on the changes the 2009's come out with. I'd wait another week or so to see what the 2009's bring, then decide.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
ddb
Instructor

If you are planning to have a baby, the RDX is not the ideal car for baby and its gear. A rear-facing car seat requres that the front seat ahead of it be pulled up pretty far (we have a Graco Snug-Ride seat), which leads to very limited legroom for anybody taller than 5'5". You get a little more front-seat room if you install the child seat in the middle position of the rear seat, but then you lose the ability to fold down either side of the fold-down rear seats.

Also, with a stroller in the trunk (we have both a Graco travel system stroller and a BumbleRide Indie), there's very little room for much more cargo. It's totally fine for us, but I think a lot of people would want more space. Just something to keep in mind.

My 12-year old Subaru Legacy Wagon is much more space-practical for our family, but obviously doesn't have the amenities that my wife really wanted in a car!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:46 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
unless you get a truck with a 3rd row or a minivan...you will encounter a little difficulty here and there no matter what mid sized suv you buy. but by no means can the RDX not handle a family of 3.

the better bet here would be spend your money on a Pilot or MDX. A pilot would serve you better as your fam grows (more kids ya never know right) but at least you have the expandability you wouldnt get from the RDX. as much as i love the acura, id be a little hard pressed to buy it over a pilot/mdx if i knew i had a kid(s) coming.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

We're a family of 3, and we have no problems with the RDX as far as space is concerned. Like DDB says, you need to install the car seat in the middle position and move the passenger seat a little further to the front. One parent has to ride with the baby behind the front passenger seat. I find the space in the back sufficient for a stroller, groceries, baby essentials, my emergency kit. I guess a lot has to do with your stroller choice and the way you pack your car. BUT the RDX will have to go when we have our 2nd kid
Old 05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
unless you get a truck with a 3rd row or a minivan...you will encounter a little difficulty here and there no matter what mid sized suv you buy. but by no means can the RDX not handle a family of 3.

the better bet here would be spend your money on a Pilot or MDX. A pilot would serve you better as your fam grows (more kids ya never know right) but at least you have the expandability you wouldnt get from the RDX. as much as i love the acura, id be a little hard pressed to buy it over a pilot/mdx if i knew i had a kid(s) coming.
Yup, agree all around. If you don't like the larger-format SUV, you could also go with a Subaru Outback (wagon) or Forester - these would be my choice as I don't like the high stance of SUVs. Obviously you'd give up some of the luxury features you'd get with an Acura or similar car.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced

One thing to keep in mind is that the 09s may have a few more bells and whistles but I suspect that you would be paying close to MSRP and most likely unable to get the financing incentives. Given that some people have been getting under invoice for the 08s, I don't know how much lower you can go even if you wait.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patronus
2009's come in June, according to a lot of posts on this forum. There are some great deals now on 2008's ($5000 factory to dealer incentives on Tech Pkg vehicles).

However, you may kick yourself depending on the changes the 2009's come out with. I'd wait another week or so to see what the 2009's bring, then decide.
Are incentives really this good? I thought it was $1500 or special financing.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:49 PM
big shot.

edmunds is only reporting 1500 cash, with the low apr rates we are all aware of good through the end of june. its all a roll of the dice, if you wait, you also may lose inventory choice/availability of what you want. however, the 09's will not be selling at msrp, no way. Ull still be able to get a solid deal on an 09.

lets not confuse the acura rebate with memorial day discouting or specific dealer clearances.

is it possible to get 5k off an 09?....possibly, not right out of the box though, a dealer will still put up some stick to make some money.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We took the Acura "cabin camping" for Memorial Day weekend. My daughter is 2. We brought:

A large (75 can) cooler
Two medium backpacks
A 20" roll-aboard
A duffel bag
An umbrella stroller
Two copy paper boxes and one smaller box of food and charcoal
A 24 count flat of water
A 12 pack of coke
Our portable DVD player bag
8 shirts on hangers in a dry cleaning bag
And several plastic grocery bags of stuff

We put the stroller in the backseat footwell.

And...we left the cargo area "lid" in place. We could have easily fit another car seat and took a family of four if we didn't bring 40 lbs of charcoal to leave space for the fourth set of clothes.

My wife is only 5' 2" so space is not really a problem for her.

We also have a 2004 Forester XT. It is not even close in terms of back seat room. You can't just look at the footwell--the Forester's rear seat bottom is 3" (16" vs 19") shorter and 1" (13" vs. 14") closer to the floor. I have no qualms about having another kid (due at the end of August) and keeping the RDX.

We may look at something larger once the kids are out of car seats.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chicagoTL
Are incentives really this good? I thought it was $1500 or special financing.

I think the $5000 rebate is for our Canadian friends.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddb
If you are planning to have a baby, the RDX is not the ideal car for baby and its gear. A rear-facing car seat requres that the front seat ahead of it be pulled up pretty far (we have a Graco Snug-Ride seat), which leads to very limited legroom for anybody taller than 5'5". You get a little more front-seat room if you install the child seat in the middle position of the rear seat, but then you lose the ability to fold down either side of the fold-down rear seats.

Also, with a stroller in the trunk (we have both a Graco travel system stroller and a BumbleRide Indie), there's very little room for much more cargo. It's totally fine for us, but I think a lot of people would want more space. Just something to keep in mind.

My 12-year old Subaru Legacy Wagon is much more space-practical for our family, but obviously doesn't have the amenities that my wife really wanted in a car!
we had the same issue with out snugride. However, now that our baby is into the second stage reversable car seat, even though it is still rear facing because it is more upright the front seat space issue is not the same as it was before. As for the stroller, we have the bugaboo chameleon and there indeed isn't very much room in the back, though there is enough for groceries and the like. Usually when hauling baby gear and other stuff we have the /60 rear seat down, but after a second baby shows up I anticipate there not being nearly enough space in the trunk.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Man you guys must carry a lot of stuff around! The RDX is not huge in the back for sure, but we have yet to not have enough room. We only travel with an umbrella stroller, which helps. Ours fits up snug against the rear seat between the shock towers. Baby gear for us is a stroller and a diaper bag (which I forgot to include on my list above). Maybe a ziplock with extra sippy cups. Our main travel is by air (Texas to Ohio or Malaysia), so I guess we have become used to more stripped down travel.

Funny thing is for us, the RDX is the bigger vehicle that we bought for kids.

Another side note: 22.7 mpg on the trip to OK. Mostly two lane roads going about 65 to 75 mph (gotta love the southwest).
Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mvwood
...As for the stroller, we have the bugaboo chameleon and there indeed isn't very much room in the back, though there is enough for groceries and the like.
What if a 35lb dog was added to the mix? Will there be enough room?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM
ddb
Instructor

we had the same issue with out snugride. However, now that our baby is into the second stage reversable car seat, even though it is still rear facing because it is more upright the front seat space issue is not the same as it was before. As for the stroller, we have the bugaboo chameleon and there indeed isn't very much room in the back, though there is enough for groceries and the like. Usually when hauling baby gear and other stuff we have the /60 rear seat down, but after a second baby shows up I anticipate there not being nearly enough space in the trunk.
We're a few months away from going to a forward-facing seat (Britax Boulevard), which will free up a lot of room. If we have another baby, we can put child #1 in forward-facing seat behind the driver's seat and the rear-facing seat for child #2 behind passenger seat. We can make the stroller situation work in the trunk, even with two kids, but there will be very little room for anything else. I wouldn't want to do an extended roadtrip with this car if we have two young kids, but hopefully by that time I'll have a newer wagon that has more cargo space.

- DDB
Old 05-29-2008, 02:49 PM
big shot.

i dont see how a wagon clears up your 2nd row issues. if anything, like Brizey said, wagons 2nd rows are smaller and snugger with less usable space. ill take an suv seating position any day.

ya ive found it tough to fill up the rdx, even when my nephew comes (and his car seat), ive done ski trips, with teh skis boots, poles in side, luggage everything, never a problem, you guys must travel with some packed out cars.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
ddb
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMike1981
i dont see how a wagon clears up your 2nd row issues. if anything, like Brizey said, wagons 2nd rows are smaller and snugger with less usable space. ill take an suv seating position any day.
We have an RDX and a '97 Legacy Wagon. With the rear-facing child-seat installed, there is significantly more front passenger-seat legroom in the Subaru than in the RDX. It's not even a close comparison. PLUS, I can fit a LOT more cargo in the rear of the Subaru than I can in the RDX. Again, not even close.

ya ive found it tough to fill up the rdx, even when my nephew comes (and his car seat), ive done ski trips, with teh skis boots, poles in side, luggage everything, never a problem, you guys must travel with some packed out cars.
Roadtrips are no problem for us now with just one child. But let's say we have an infant and a 2-year old. Both need car seats, so rear-seat space is maxed out. At the minimum, we'd need to haul the following in the cargo space:

- 1 or 2 strollers
- Travel bassinet (for infant sleeping)
- Two suitcases (one for wife and I, one for kid's toys and clothes)
- Cooler (we usually bring our own food for roadtrips to save expenses eating out)
- Wife's other miscellaneous gear

Frankly, I don't think the above minimum cargo load would fit in the RDX cargo area. Plus, if we're planning to do any activities on the trip, such as hiking or skiing, then there a lot more gear that needs to go as well. And of course, even if by some miracle all this stuff fits in the car, my wife at 5'5" still has very little legroom in the front passenger seat due to the rear-facing child seat behind her.

Look, I'm not complaining about the car at all. We knew the size, and we were comfortable that it would be fine for our needs, with the assumption that we'd use the Subaru or get a newer wagon longer journeys if we ever have a second child.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX_A
What if a 35lb dog was added to the mix? Will there be enough room?
not a chance. The stroller needs the entire floor of the trunk so unless the dog wants to sit on top of the collapsed stroller, it ain't gonna happen without dropping the rear seat on the /60 side.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddb
We're a few months away from going to a forward-facing seat (Britax Boulevard), which will free up a lot of room. If we have another baby, we can put child #1 in forward-facing seat behind the driver's seat and the rear-facing seat for child #2 behind passenger seat. We can make the stroller situation work in the trunk, even with two kids, but there will be very little room for anything else. I wouldn't want to do an extended roadtrip with this car if we have two young kids, but hopefully by that time I'll have a newer wagon that has more cargo space.

- DDB
that's our plan too eventually with the config. We just got lucky I guess that our boy grew out of the snugride at 7ish months and so is in a convertable - while rear facing, it is more upright and so leaves more room for the passenger seat. I suppose, because the convertable are rated to 5 or 6 lbs, that we could have started with one, but they don't come out and having the bucket with a baby is worth whatever discomfort on the road.

The other thing I noticed to save a bit of room was you know how they say to make sure the carrying handle is right behind the car seat, well they just don't want it above the baby, but if you put it all the way back it gives an extra few inches for the front seat but does not pose any risk for the baby.

Oh, and not sure what our plans are yet, but I read that the switching to forward facing at 1 yr is the minimum, but the longer you can keep them rear facing the better as the vertebrae have not fused yet.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
ddb
Instructor

that's our plan too eventually with the config. We just got lucky I guess that our boy grew out of the snugride at 7ish months and so is in a convertable - while rear facing, it is more upright and so leaves more room for the passenger seat. I suppose, because the convertable are rated to 5 or 6 lbs, that we could have started with one, but they don't come out and having the bucket with a baby is worth whatever discomfort on the road.

The other thing I noticed to save a bit of room was you know how they say to make sure the carrying handle is right behind the car seat, well they just don't want it above the baby, but if you put it all the way back it gives an extra few inches for the front seat but does not pose any risk for the baby.

Oh, and not sure what our plans are yet, but I read that the switching to forward facing at 1 yr is the minimum, but the longer you can keep them rear facing the better as the vertebrae have not fused yet.
Yeah, we actually have a reversible seat in another car (Britax Boulevard), but it isn't any more space-efficient than the SnugRide. Our 23-pound 8-month old still fits fine in the SnugRide seat (rated to 30lbs) which is what we have in the RDX.

I think we'll be switching to forward-facing right around the 1-year mark.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
07 MDX Base

Originally Posted by ddb
If you are planning to have a baby, the RDX is not the ideal car for baby and its gear. A rear-facing car seat requres that the front seat ahead of it be pulled up pretty far (we have a Graco Snug-Ride seat), which leads to very limited legroom for anybody taller than 5'5". You get a little more front-seat room if you install the child seat in the middle position of the rear seat, but then you lose the ability to fold down either side of the fold-down rear seats. Also, with a stroller in the trunk (we have both a Graco travel system stroller and a BumbleRide Indie), there's very little room for much more cargo. It's totally fine for us, but I think a lot of people would want more space. Just something to keep in mind.
I agree with ddb. I enjoy my RDX but would not recommend it if youre planning to have a baby. I have a 11 month baby and kinda regret having the RDX due to the lack of space. Installing the rear facing baby seat will make you move the front seat foward which makes no room for someone to sit. Also, the trunk space is kinda small but does fit all your baby stuff (stroller, baby bags, etc..). I would recommend the MDX for the family.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Cruisin'

Now or wait until 2009's?

Back to your question whether to buy now or wait, I bought mine with tech a month ago and haven't regretted a thing. I got it for $33,000 plus TTL and dealer threw in pinstripe, mud flaps and tinted front windows.

Sure I see that the 09' are about to come out but I have been enjoying it for a month now and don't see any better financing or deals that I got then, or at least that much better. AND I'm sure that while the 09's may have minor changes, the prices won't be anywhere nearly as good as now. Go for it!! I'm glad I didn't wait it out.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ddb
We have an RDX and a '97 Legacy Wagon. With the rear-facing child-seat installed, there is significantly more front passenger-seat legroom in the Subaru than in the RDX. It's not even a close comparison. PLUS, I can fit a LOT more cargo in the rear of the Subaru than I can in the RDX. Again, not even close.

Roadtrips are no problem for us now with just one child. But let's say we have an infant and a 2-year old. Both need car seats, so rear-seat space is maxed out. At the minimum, we'd need to haul the following in the cargo space:

- 1 or 2 strollers
- Travel bassinet (for infant sleeping)
- Two suitcases (one for wife and I, one for kid's toys and clothes)
- Cooler (we usually bring our own food for roadtrips to save expenses eating out)
- Wife's other miscellaneous gear

Frankly, I don't think the above minimum cargo load would fit in the RDX cargo area. Plus, if we're planning to do any activities on the trip, such as hiking or skiing, then there a lot more gear that needs to go as well. And of course, even if by some miracle all this stuff fits in the car, my wife at 5'5" still has very little legroom in the front passenger seat due to the rear-facing child seat behind her.

Look, I'm not complaining about the car at all. We knew the size, and we were comfortable that it would be fine for our needs, with the assumption that we'd use the Subaru or get a newer wagon longer journeys if we ever have a second child.
Yeah, my daughter will be two and a half when the baby is born, so we are least six months from a car trip (both grandparents are an airplane ride away). So we will never need two strollers (even now my daugter only lasts about five minutes in a stroller). I guess our situation is different. My wife is shorter and my kids are going to be farther apart, and car trips are totally optional for us. Our travel bassinet is gathering dust in the corner of our game room. It has never left our house. So if you take that away and one of the strollers, your list is no problem in an RDX.

Glad I got to save the $10,000 over the MDX. I have driven my buddy's new MDX (2007), and it drives like a bus compared to the RDX. It's not bad, but its slower and is nowhere near as responsive. Be careful, too if you need tons of cargo: the rear seats are "lower" relative to the cargo floor, so you cannot stack stuff up as high before it can spill over into the backseat. It is deeper and wider, but has a higher floor to accomodate the folding third row. (He was on the Memorial Day trip and I compared side by side.)

To the OP: Take the deal on the '08 unless you really need the power seat. Just make sure you are getting a full year of depreciation better on the deal.