My vibration story

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
My vibration story

Ok time to share my vibration story. Replaced all 4 tires 2 years ago, Michelin premiers A/S. At about 20k miles now on them. noticed they weren’t perfect when i got them, but tried to live with it.
About 3-4 months ago, started noticing a vibration at highway speeds or on certain accelerations. Progressively became more noticeable. Took in to a local alignment shop 3 weeks ago, a shop I have dealt with for years, to have them access the situation. They diagnosed bad front axles, especially the front driver side. They ordered new axles (both front sides) and replaced both front sides 2 weeks ago. They showed me the left front inner joint and it had a wear divet on the inside which was the cause of the vibration. Along with that, I swapped out the front strut assemblies and sway bar links (rusted beyond salvageable). They stated the vibration was gone. It was still there. It comes on soft, maybe around 50-55 and steadily gets worse the faster u go. I rode with the tech and we both found that when you do a U-turn maneuver (wheel cut all the way to left then slowly drive), there is a bump sensation. So they pulled all 4 wheels off and did road force & balance tests. Their machine is far more advanced than what most shops use (belle, discount, tire stores). All 4 were out of balance, but not bad. 1 had a road force run out of 52 and another was 43. Tolerance numbers for run out is 25 max. Meaning 2 tires have lumps on them. They were not able to balance that away. There was some improvement. But we are afraid even with new tires that are within tolerances, that there’s something else going on.
So we (me and the alignment shop) decided we would investigate the tires (going to belle where i got them under warranty) and if that does not fix the problem, gonna just live with it until it gets worse and is more obvious. One guy at the shop thinks the drive shaft is bent or out of balance and needs replacement. The shop has not ruled out the new axles could be bad. But would like to see the tires eliminated as the cause first before replacing the axles again.
Any thoughts out there?
Old 07-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Qualified Observer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Control arm bushings.