Old 06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
May sale numbers

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1097/releases/4528
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura is getting dinged pretty good. RDX is bad, but the TL is almost as bad and represents a lot more sales.

Look at the CR-V numbers. The RDX is really just a derivative of the CR-V, so it can survive at low volume since a lot of the basic engineering is paid for by CR-V sales.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
..........Look at the CR-V numbers. The RDX is really just a derivative of the CR-V, so it can survive at low volume since a lot of the basic engineering is paid for by CR-V sales.
Let's hope that Honda / Acura see's it that way also for some time!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the TSX did a lot better now
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Red face Incentives

Other than the 1.9% financing I have seen advertised, I wonder if Acura will do more for the RDX.

I remember a few years ago, the Ridgeline was expected to sell like 3,000 units a month & when it was falling short Honda started selling them under invoice. Now it consistently sells in the 3k/month range. Granted, this does not help resale value or the image of the vehicle but still ...

The RDX still sells well for its class, usually more than the EX35 or X3 so I it is not quite as bad as the RL. I do think that adding more features to the car while maintaining the price will help. If it had power passenger seats, auto dimming mirrors, LEDs & maybe even ventilated seats at launch, I think it would have done better. I hope the RDX is in line after the TSX for the diesel.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Sporty X type

I also noticed that the Hybrid sales from May of '07 compaired to May of '08, sales went down?? What's "up" with that?
Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Go Buckeyes

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
I also noticed that the Hybrid sales from May of '07 compaired to May of '08, sales went down?? What's "up" with that?
There are up 4% for the year, u also have to remember that they also sold Accord Hybrid's in 2007, and do not sell them for the 2008 model year. Except for a few leftover Accord Hybrid all the sale are for the Civic Hybrid.
May 2007 Accord Hybrids 439 - Civic Hybrids 4520
May 2008 Accord Hybrids 16 - Civic Hybrids 4676

year to date totals (2007)13895 (2008) 16322 for the Civic up 15.6%
Old 06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Sporty X type

Originally Posted by bialkoni
There are up 4% for the year, u also have to remember that they also sold Accord Hybrid's in 2007, and do not sell them for the 2008 model year. Except for a few leftover Accord Hybrid all the sale are for the Civic Hybrid.
May 2007 Accord Hybrids 439 - Civic Hybrids 4520
May 2008 Accord Hybrids 16 - Civic Hybrids 4676

year to date totals (2007)13895 (2008) 16322 for the Civic up 15.6%
I was just talking about the month of May, '07 compaired to May, '08. That's what they showed on that report........
Old 06-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Racer

I tried to trade in the RDX the other day. To make a long story short, they were less than receptive to having another RDX on the lot to try to move.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
I tried to trade in the RDX the other day. To make a long story short, they were less than receptive to having another RDX on the lot to try to move.

Hi Fishbulb! I have to ask why you want to trade the RDX. I am actually looking to lease an '08 hopefully soon if the prices keep falling and IF I can sell my 2005 Accord. Being a teacher, I need something with a little more room. I test drove it the other day and loved it. However the dealer here quoted me $2000 down 36/10,000 miles per year for a Tech package is $570?! I am just curious as to you wanting to trade. Gas milage?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bamagirl77
Hi Fishbulb! I have to ask why you want to trade the RDX. I am actually looking to lease an '08 hopefully soon if the prices keep falling and IF I can sell my 2005 Accord. Being a teacher, I need something with a little more room. I test drove it the other day and loved it. However the dealer here quoted me $2000 down 36/10,000 miles per year for a Tech package is $570?! I am just curious as to you wanting to trade. Gas milage?

Why would they even bother quoting such a bad lease? Glad you walked. You should be able to buy the car on a five year note for that kind of payment.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Racer

Mileage is a concern, but quite frankly, I just find it to be a compromise car that isn't particularly good at anything.

1) The power is there, but it isn't very accessible. It is a heavy car with small displacement engine, so its very sluggish off boost, so when you need power, you dip into the gas, and by the time the turbo kicks in, there's too much power. The transmission is fairly sluggish as well. If you see a gap in traffic, you're thinking, I've got 240HP, I can easily slip in. Well, by the time the power comes on, you've missed your chance. Its just too unpredictable and annoying to modulate without a true manual transmission.

2) There's a very firm suspension, which is great for a sports car, but it isn't a sports car. It is too heavy to be much fun on curves, so the tradeoff on the flinty ride isn't really seen too well. Passengers in my RDX routinely complain about the rough ride.

I think its fine for someone with money to spend on gas, who is looking for a safe, slightly oddball (for Acura) car. I think that the engine and transmission just aren't a good match for a fairly heavy vehicle, which despite its weight and mileage, doesn't offer a great deal of utility over a small hatchback.

If you were in Canada, I'd offer you a deal on mine!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Mileage is a concern, but quite frankly, I just find it to be a compromise car that isn't particularly good at anything.

1) The power is there, but it isn't very accessible. It is a heavy car with small displacement engine, so its very sluggish off boost, so when you need power, you dip into the gas, and by the time the turbo kicks in, there's too much power. The transmission is fairly sluggish as well. If you see a gap in traffic, you're thinking, I've got 240HP, I can easily slip in. Well, by the time the power comes on, you've missed your chance. Its just too unpredictable and annoying to modulate without a true manual transmission.

2) There's a very firm suspension, which is great for a sports car, but it isn't a sports car. It is too heavy to be much fun on curves, so the tradeoff on the flinty ride isn't really seen too well. Passengers in my RDX routinely complain about the rough ride.

I think its fine for someone with money to spend on gas, who is looking for a safe, slightly oddball (for Acura) car. I think that the engine and transmission just aren't a good match for a fairly heavy vehicle, which despite its weight and mileage, doesn't offer a great deal of utility over a small hatchback.

If you were in Canada, I'd offer you a deal on mine!
Since no Acura has a V8 you have to deal with the lack of low end torque. However, over time you get used to it and knowing when to get into the high end of the torque curve comes naturally, albeit at the cost of gas mileage. The transmissions on all Acuras are designed for the best compromise between acceleration and gas mileage. As far as a "rough" ride, do your passengers really mean a "firm" ride? There is a big diffference in those terms. The RDX has won praises from a variety of auto authorities. I am looking forward to owning one of these jack-of-all-trades. I'm sorry the RDX has not lived up to your expectations.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
Why would they even bother quoting such a bad lease? Glad you walked. You should be able to buy the car on a five year note for that kind of payment.

Hi Brizey! I thought the EXACT same thing. I thought that was absurd too. Does the manager think I am an idiot? I was HOPING I could get into one for about no more than $2000 down and between $425-$450 for a 36/10K year lease. Am I being completely unrealistic? I just thought with the economy and gas prices and the fact that my local dealer had had the SAME 5 RDXs for WEEKS now. Obviously they are NOT selling here on the Gulf Coast. My salesperson is really very nice and professional. It is the sales manager that is the problem. I am not sure what their deal is. This is the only dealership for about 3 hours in either direction.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Hi Brizey! I thought the EXACT same thing. I thought that was absurd too. Does the manager think I am an idiot? I was HOPING I could get into one for about no more than $2000 down and between $425-$450 for a 36/10K year lease. Am I being completely unrealistic? I just thought with the economy and gas prices and the fact that my local dealer had had the SAME 5 RDXs for WEEKS now. Obviously they are NOT selling here on the Gulf Coast. My salesperson is really very nice and professional. It is the sales manager that is the problem. I am not sure what their deal is. This is the only dealership for about 3 hours in either direction.
An idiot? No, but probably gullible for the "good cop" "bad cop" sales pitch/routine, or so they thought. You were being played. Times are rough all over and the car dealers are trying to make as much profit as possible. Since most Acura dealerships sell only a few cars a month, compared say to Honda, they have to try harder to make a profit, and in good times they make a lot of profit even if they give you a so-called good deal. There is no way you can win the car buying/leasing game. The cards are stacked against you. Never ever tell a sales person what you want to spend, or what payment you can afford. Let them give you the figures and then haggle the price down to what you think is fair. Then you both will be happy.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Burning Brakes

You might have to drive to Houston where there are mulitple dealerships to get a better deal. Here in Dallas, I e-mailed all the dealers and picked the one that was the most upfront. I told them what I wanted: a 2007 RDX in Carbon Bronze/Taupe with the tech package. I told them I expected a price in writing. Two of them sent me e-mails asking me to call them to discuss what I was looking for. I was like ? One quoted me a great price immediately. Guess who I bought from?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Meat Popsicle

......Does the manager think I am an idiot?
Sounds like he was clearly hoping you were.