Interesting Service Experience Today $$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Service Experience Today $$$

So I bought my RDX in for a B1 today (19,xxx miles) . It's nice that the local Acura dealer is open Saturdays and takes appointments. I showed up at 7:45 right on time.

The SA proceeds to tell me that the B1 is $180.00 plus tax and waste disposal (total cost = ~$210.00). Since I was fresh from reading some of your posts about the service costs it was on my mind. I told the SA that it seemed a little high for an oil change and rotation; he "explained" since the RDX used synthetic oil it was more expensive. I suggested that at most it was maybe $25 more for the oil, but he was unsympathetic. I asked if he had any coupons or specials and he alerted me to the dealerships website that had a 10% off coupon, SA advised me to download the coupon and bring it in when the vehicle was ready.

Mrs. Rizzo picked me up and I went home and logged on; I checked the website and found the 10% deal, but I also noticed another deal "match any other dealers service special" .

Now I was off to Acura.com to look up all the other dealers in So Cal. I found several other dealers, one was $109 for B1, but the best of all was a dealer in Tustin (50+ mi away) for a B1 for $79.95 (synthetic and waste disposal extra). Cha-Ching!

SA calls about 2hrs later to inform that thte RDX was ready for pick up, so I asked if the "other coupon" deal still stood - he said yes so long it was apples-to-apples. I go back to the dealer and present the coupon - SA not happy.....complains that the coupon is for a dealer 50+ miles away, but accepts it. He wants to charge $49.95 extra for the synthetic oil . We discuss this for a moment and he concedes that a full synthetic oil change is $49.95 and we agree on an additional $25.00. Then he packs $39.95 for the tire rotation onto the bill. I point out that the coupon included the tire rotation, so that gets backed out.

End result was $125 including tax and CA waste disposal fees.

I'm convinced that these guys work on commission. I took note that he did not have to seek approval to knock $85 off the bill - a 40% discount.

With BMW you knew you were going to get violated when the "free" service ran out. Acura seems a little sneaky. With my 2006 Ford Ranger it was $29.95 for a oil change and inspection. The labor cost cant be that much more ?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Why even tell them to do B1 service? u know that its an oil change and tire rotation, so just tell them to do oil change and tire rotation, and ask how much each cost.
oil change should not be more than $60, and tire rotation another 20-30.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by russianDude
Why even tell them to do B1 service? u know that its an oil change and tire rotation, so just tell them to do oil change and tire rotation, and ask how much each cost.
oil change should not be more than $60, and tire rotation another 20-30.
Why does an oil change cost $60? That's ridiculous. My RDX is only two weeks old, but I've never been charged more than half that amount for an oil change for any other vehicle I've owned or currently own.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
Why does an oil change cost $60? That's ridiculous. My RDX is only two weeks old, but I've never been charged more than half that amount for an oil change for any other vehicle I've owned or currently own.
because RDX requires synthetic oil. believe it or not, but $60 is a good deal (from a dealer), some quotes $90 for an oil change. if you hear that crap, just buy Mobil 1 oil at wallmart @ $21, and oil filter, bring it to dealership (better go to Honda), and have them change it. They will charge you labor ($15-20), so your total cost will be $50.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you find out how much other dealers charged? Were they all Acura dealerships?

I feel like I am getting raped for my service and I need to do something about it.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by oasis3582
How did you find out how much other dealers charged? Were they all Acura dealerships?

I feel like I am getting raped for my service and I need to do something about it.
I live in an area where there are lots of Acura dealers, so I go to Acura.com and "search for Dealers". By clicking on the dealership name you can go to their website and most have a link to "service", some even have a link to "service specials" and quite a few had specials listed or coupons.

russianDude: I'm not about trying to cheap on on service on a $30k vehicle - I have no problem paying for the service at a dealership - I just resent overpaying. I dont have the time or inclination to do any of the service myself or go on a parts buying trip.... and I really resent being gouged.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
So I bought my RDX in for a B1 today......End result was $125 including tax and CA waste disposal fees.
It's interesing that the final figure matches fairly closely my dealer's quoted B1 price of $134.90 (B=99.95, 1=34.95) in PA. Even for CA I think they're padding heavily, and they would get away with it if it wasn't for advocates like yourself. Good work!

I hope you don't have to fight this battle everytime. I DIY now and haven't been to a dealer in years. The best part, I believe is not facing the kind of stress you dealt wth.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Suzuka Master

russianDude: I'm not about trying to cheap on on service on a $30k vehicle - I have no problem paying for the service at a dealership - I just resent overpaying. I dont have the time or inclination to do any of the service myself or go on a parts buying trip.... and I really resent being gouged.
OK, then don't complain about overpaying.
and BTW, B1 is
- oil change
- tire rotation
- bunch of inspections

I own Acura 2001 CLS (RDX is my second Acura), for which I paid $30K 7 years ago, and I've never paid for any inspections. Just things that need to be replaced. Never had any problems. But if you want to satisfy your paranoia, go ahead and pay (over 7 years it will cost you over $2K in inspections and checks). If you think its worth it, its your business.

PS. I wonder when you guys shop around between the dealers, and whoever offers you the lowest price for a service, how can you be sure they do all of those checks? Maybe the reason they can give you a good quote is because they skip number of "checks" and only do mandatory stuff such as oil change and tire rotation.
I know you trust your dealer, but I know for the fact from a tech who works at the dealer, and they offten times skip some "checks" and "inspections". They either skip them, or do very minimal checking... basically glancing over things and making sure they look OK.... You can never hold dealer responsible if something that was inspected fails few days later.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 PM

OK, then don't complain about overpaying.
and BTW, B1 is
- oil change
- tire rotation
- bunch of inspections

I own Acura 2001 CLS (RDX is my second Acura), for which I paid $30K 7 years ago, and I've never paid for any inspections. Just things that need to be replaced. Never had any problems. But if you want to satisfy your paranoia, go ahead and pay (over 7 years it will cost you over $2K in inspections and checks). If you think its worth it, its your business.

PS. I wonder when you guys shop around between the dealers, and whoever offers you the lowest price for a service, how can you be sure they do all of those checks? Maybe the reason they can give you a good quote is because they skip number of "checks" and only do mandatory stuff such as oil change and tire rotation.
I know you trust your dealer, but I know for the fact from a tech who works at the dealer, and they offten times skip some "checks" and "inspections". They either skip them, or do very minimal checking... basically glancing over things and making sure they look OK.... You can never hold dealer responsible if something that was inspected fails few days later.
That's nice. I'm very proud of you. Why dont you start your own thread about how clever you are by saving all that $$ over the years by not taking in your car to the dealer ?

My dealer gives me a checklist that specifies everything that was done to the vehicle. It's signed by the tech. Good enough for me.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Advanced

I wonder when you guys shop around between the dealers, and whoever offers you the lowest price for a service, how can you be sure they do all of those checks?
How can you be sure the guy who gouges you for top dollar does those inspections either? i went with my neighbor (a woman) to pick her ride up after a routine oil change and before we left the dealer, I suggested he check the oil level, just in case. Well, the oil was black as tar and it still had her NAPA oil filter on it. The BS Service Mgr. blamed the tech, of course and offered her to change the oil again for free! What a f'ing joke. What he didnt know was Jeanne was a lawyer. Hah!!!

I honestly believe that a tech gives the car a quick look see and if he smells money for the boss (belt replacement, evidence of fluid leaks, etc) then he reports it and you get the call you dread. OTW, everything checks out and your on your way. I'd shop for the best price too. Where I bought my rig, they do the "oil change for life" and "state inspections for life". So I'll get the $50 oil change done and see what they try to jack me for the other services.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 PM
10th Gear

Smile I get free oil changes for life from my dealership

It was part of the deal. I guess they do it for every car sold. I get Mobil one too!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBaron
It was part of the deal. I guess they do it for every car sold. I get Mobil one too!!!
From which dealer?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Suzuka Master

That's nice. I'm very proud of you. Why dont you start your own thread about how clever you are by saving all that $$ over the years by not taking in your car to the dealer ?

My dealer gives me a checklist that specifies everything that was done to the vehicle. It's signed by the tech. Good enough for me.
Do whatever makes you feel at peace with yourself.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Pote757
How can you be sure the guy who gouges you for top dollar does those inspections either?
I would not be sure in that either. Inspections in itself are not absolute. Its like you said, they are looking for something that is obviously wrong. Well, any decent mechanic during normal oil change will take 1min. look around for any visual signs of problems.