Had a loaner RDX for 4 days and my thoughts..

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009 | 07:48 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Had a loaner RDX for 4 days and my thoughts..

Took my 2001 acura CL type-s to the dlr and it needs it's 4th transmission and acura is only willing to pay 10% which leaves me with a $4200 bill to fix it but thats a diff story..
Well at least the gave me a 2009 RDX tech for the weekend and I liked it more then I though I would. The turbo is pretty nice with minimal lag and this truck get going at passing speeds. Starting from a stop the car is a little hesitant to get going but once the RPM's get to about 4-5k its nice...
The layout of the dash could be better and they could throw some wood in there.. I didnt really care for the silver and black radio navi setup. The car is more roomy inside then I though and everyone I know that likes SUV's loved it , I am not a fan of SUV's.. The truck is quick but I think my car is deff faster then the RDX and u feel the torque more in my car..
Overall I liked it more then I thought I would, would I buy one, NO but I would never buy a SUV would I recommend one to someone that liked SUV's yeah...
The other think that was not good was the gas miliage, when I tried to drive to get great gas miliage i was only able to get around 23 mostly HWY, but my normal driving like I drive my car I got 16.9, for a 4cylinder I think it should be a little better!
Overall u guys have a nice little truck!
Old 07-15-2009 | 09:13 PM
Styl1n

Well coming from the same boat, i had 4 tranny's with my TL's and mine was supercharged. driving it stock for two years then a year and half SC i would have a little diffrent input. Supercharged there is no question in top end on the TL it would murder a lottt or cars out there....i did but the RDX has wayyyyyy more torque than my stock TLs and felt like it has more torque than my SC TLs off the line.

throttle response in muchhh better and the turbo kick is great, i am looking to do the reflash and see what happens from there.

the RDX is tuned for the turbo to kick in around 2.5 or 3k RPM ,if the turbo started right off the line there would tonssss of wheel spin. i tried to spin tires in with this thing in the rain and it aint doing it...you can always have it tuned to have to boost kick in a little more early.

Not to say anything bad i Still Love my TL and i still have it stock i dont think i am ever going to sell that car. keeping it till it blows up
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:16 PM
B A N N E D

From: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Is there any chip to boost the turbo out for the RDX?
I work at saturn and our sky 2.0 liter turbo pushing 260HP stock.
GM makes a chip stage 2 that pumps 80 more HP outta the engine and the warrenty stayes , does acura offer a chip for it?
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:46 PM
big shot.

does acura offer a sporting version of anything these days? to answer your question, no lol
Old 07-16-2009 | 02:56 PM
Styl1n

The Hondata ECU can be tuned even more with some other bolt ons.
Old 07-16-2009 | 03:28 PM
big shot.

stoned -that sucks about the trannys. I dealt with the same shit with some accords...when you start to feel the slipst at 20k!!! o boy!!
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

StonedCL. LOL. My wife drives RDX. As much as I hate Acura for having to deal with transmission on my CL, I really like RDX.
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by MMike1981
stoned -that sucks about the trannys. I dealt with the same shit with some accords...when you start to feel the slipst at 20k!!! o boy!!
I bought the car new in may 2000 , I chose this car over a 330CI , A4 and IS300 becuz I knew i was gonna keep it a long time and I thought handas where reliable..
My first Tranny went at like 35K miles (fixed under warrenty) so right after I got it repaired i bought a Extended warrenty for $1500 (even B4 acura extended the tranny warrenty)
My second tranny went out at 98K nearly killed me doing 75 on rroute 80 and all of a sudded hit a brick wall and dropped to like 1st gear i did a 360 and luckaly no one hit me.. That tranny was fixed under the extended warrenty I bought and at the time I asked if I can purcase more warrenty and acura did not offer any more warrenty after 100K but the service writer said that acura re-designed the tranny and it is FIXED..LOL...OK well since i was no longer under warrenty i drove slow never used SS mode and changed the tranny fluid every 20K at the DLR and now again at 168K that 68k on the tranny the car downshifted from 60-20MPH on route 46 luck again no one rear ended me and Acura said I would need anouther tranny #3 and they would do me a faver and pay for 10% , so I had to pay $4100 for anouther faulty trans..
I found a local rebuilder that knew his stuff and is giving me 3/36 warrenty on his rebuild and installing Better clutch pack, end plugs and better TQ and a tranny cooler and using amsoil synthetic ATF for $3100..
I know i am not under warrenty but all my prevouse trans where fixed cuz of my warrenty and extended warrenty no help from them in the past and there acting like they did me a GREAT BIG FAVOR by replacing my first 2 trannies.
ANY DLR WOULD HAVE DONE THAT!!

I was gonna buy a 06 RL in a year or so but now Im prob gonna go with a m35X...

Dealing with acura corperate is horrible, and they DID goodwill many people in the past paying for the trans and person paying $900 for install I even talked to someone who had 227K and his tranny went and they paid for 50% so he paid $1900 total.. All i asked for was for them to split it 50/50 but they said im on the hook for this one since they did me a FAVOR twice and replaced 2 under warrenty that THEY got paid for!
Old 07-16-2009 | 07:50 PM
Racer

FINGERS CROSSED my 09RDX makes it at least 4 years with only BASIC maintenance. I don't think I'll ever keep a car past warranty unless it is a classic that I only drive on nice sunny days!

(I'd love a 69 Camaro SS with a 402...Midnight Blue with White Stripes).
Old 07-17-2009 | 08:38 AM
big shot.

...i thought at some point in 05, 06 or something, Honda/Acura released recalls etc for all the trannys...could have sworn i got them in the mail, but i dont remember...

my biggest concern will be the turbo down the road....if you read about the turbo in the Mazda blowing out, it makes you wonder how a turbo will last and remain reliable in an SUV/heavy daily driving application
Old 07-17-2009 | 09:47 AM
Pro

I'm not too worried about reliability, but the trans does feel a bit sloppy to me. Sometimes the shifts seem to happen in two stages. This could be for smoothness, but it sure seems like the same thing a 1990 Taurus drove like back in the day.

I also still have the odd missing issue between first and second. Happens every couple of weeks at 3/4 throttle. Between the first and second shift - I get a miss and a clunk. Very odd.

At any rate, I am happy with the RDX, but I would not buy it again. The lag off the line, unintuitive transmission and mediocre throttle response get tiring after a while.
Old 07-17-2009 | 10:05 AM
big shot.

At the time of its intro, i think it was the best thing out. A budget X3 that basically matched or outperformed it in every category. Today, compared to whats out there, the RDX performance is still top notch, but its a step down in everything else. All the tech gadgets in the world dont amount to much imo.
Old 07-18-2009 | 01:43 PM
B A N N E D

The best investment on ANY car would be a extended warrenty..
Acura sells extended warrenties really cheap compared to some other companies and the ACura warrenty covers pretty much everything , which also depends on your dlr..
Old 07-18-2009 | 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by StonedCL
The best investment on ANY car would be a extended warrenty..
Acura sells extended warrenties really cheap compared to some other companies and the ACura warrenty covers pretty much everything , which also depends on your dlr..
wrong, my Acura CL is a perfect example, never needed in first 7 years, saved $1500, so if I keep not buying extended warranty I will be saving money. yes, there will be time I'll pay, but all the savings for prior cars and years are worth it.
Old 07-20-2009 | 08:18 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by russianDude
wrong, my Acura CL is a perfect example, never needed in first 7 years

well...consider yourself lucky, but by no means is that typical.
Old 07-20-2009 | 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMike1981
well...consider yourself lucky, but by no means is that typical.
I don't have anything objective to back it up, but I have to believe that the people who don't have major mechanical problems are in the vast majority, and those who do are the lucky ones... it's just bad luck. Think about it--the car companies wouldn't sell extended warranties if they were losing money on them. You're essentially buying "breakdown insurance", or throwing money away betting your car is going to have issues. Particularly with Honda/Acura, that seems like a poor wager.
Old 07-20-2009 | 09:05 AM
Pro

Exactly, it's insurance, which means most of the time, the insurance company comes out ahead and the consumer doesn't. The peice of mind is worth it to some and you can certainly negotiate the price on it.

Even if you do end up needing it, a lot of the time the repair won't exceed the cost of the insurance anyways.

Last edited by cwepruk; 07-20-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2009 | 12:55 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I don't have anything objective to back it up, but I have to believe that the people who don't have major mechanical problems are in the vast majority, and those who do are the lucky ones... it's just bad luck. Think about it--the car companies wouldn't sell extended warranties if they were losing money on them. You're essentially buying "breakdown insurance", or throwing money away betting your car is going to have issues. Particularly with Honda/Acura, that seems like a poor wager.
if ur someone who owns cars and runs them into very high miles...ill buy an extended warranty all the time. Piece of mind, insurance, whatever you want to categorize it as, IS worth something, or else we wouldnt have it for anything. Frankly, many people dont keep cars long enough to yield benefits from a high mileage extension.

Personally, my fam has always kept/owned a specific car for long periods of time and used it as the beater do everything/pick up everything, always with an extended warranty, and its been great. if we are talking Honda's or something similar, keep in mind that the warranty is usually 3/36k which is basically nothing when ur putting on 25k a year, or that type of driver. So yea, cost me a grand now for coverage to 100k? thats cake, to me, sorry. Whether or not something happens, whatever, but to have that high mile coverage and to be able to put on WORRY FREE miles after the orig warranty runs out - which is about 1 1/2 yrs of driving, thats worth it, to me.

Now, for a higher priced/premium sedan, not sure if itd still be worth it because the mileage/yrs of coverage is usually at least double, and the powertrain is usually better, liek Acura's powertrain coverage, so an extended to 100k when the powertrain is covered to like 60 or 70 k, then yea, alot less value in that maybe ill take my chances.
Old 07-20-2009 | 06:06 PM
B A N N E D

Acurea extended warrenties are Cheap compared to other makes and models..
With all the electronics in the cars nowadys a extended warrenty I think is worth it.. For $1000 you cant buy much maybee 8 hours labor at a acura DLR and that is not counting parts.. And u dont know with a new car what can go wrong. Maybbe alot of small things but they add up hopefully u guys dont have to deal with the tranny B.S. that I am dealing with!