Gawd, the RDX is Slow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Someone is going to have to explain to me what possible connection the vehicle stability assist has on the turbo lag.
I'd like to know as well..! Good question Fishbulb.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm not sure how to explain it, but there was a bit less lag. There was still turbo lag, but when mashing it with VSA on versus mashing it with VSA off, it felt as if I was being given power a bit sooner with VSA off. The turbo picked up around the same RPMs...I don't know how to explain it.

It seemed to be the same for the '07 TL I had as a loaner. I know I know, completely different car which is a completely different situation.

I guess it's just something one has to try? I wish I could explain it better.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's in your mind. Stability/traction control doesn't even work/intervene unless there is something out of whack.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
I bought this thing over a Land Rover LR2, an X3, and a Saturn Vue Redline because it was the fastest! I guess it's not fast enough. The only reason I didn't lose is because the Odyssey's top end wasn't there, but in acceleration from say 60 to 120, the sumbitch was beating me!
Finally! Maybe now Car and Driver will include minivan racing above 120 mph in their comparisons. It's about time they stopped covering up for so-called sports vehicles that lose their doors to Mom and the soccer team at 2 miles per minute.

....and maybe they'll start measuring cargo space in grocery bags instead of cases of beer. Who knew Mom's van was so cool?
Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMYO for most of this thread. PM is pure comedy! Go up against the almighty Odyssey when you know how to drive and you would not have been smoked. Why you're racing anyway? (and against a minivan too) is laughable unto itself . It's people who think they have the talent to "race" and screw it up miserably (as PM clearly demonstrated) who maim and kill. Grow up PM.
As for the abilities of the X- Once you know and understand how the turbo works- along with the paddles- try a nice windy/hilly road. That's where the X shines for me. AND Lots of top end when req'd.

T
Old 08-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those who love to "kick" butt on the street, forget the RDX, it's not meant for that...

Drive this: You look great in it and it will "boost" your ego...

300HP turbocharged... with the power to weight ratio that will make even the WRX STI shudder...
And it is affordable as well...

For those with middle-aged crisis (like the PM of this thread), the Focus RS will be the instant gratification you are looking for... Stop bashing the RDX...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Looks good, drives great!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
For those who love to "kick" butt on the street, forget the RDX, it's not meant for that...

Drive this: You look great in it and it will "boost" your ego...

300HP turbocharged... with the power to weight ratio that will make even the WRX STI shudder...
And it is affordable as well...

For those with middle-aged crisis (like the PM of this thread), the Focus RS will be the instant gratification you are looking for... Stop bashing the RDX...

That's great!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
thunder04, are you sure it wasn't a placebo effect!? lol.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lilfeat
Well done Plainsman. 1 Post and 42 responses.
Does anyone even think this person really has any of these vehicles?

I see him/her driving his mom's used Taurus.
;-)

I wouldn't talk, man. If your avatar is a photo of yourself you've got a lot to be embarrassed about. Dude, you looked whipped.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmmporter
That's great!!!
There's just one problem. It's a Ford. No way would I ever buy a Ford. I can't stand the family. I certainly won't purchase their cars.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
There's just one problem. It's a Ford. No way would I ever buy a Ford. I can't stand the family. I certainly won't purchase their cars.
but you have a GM car, a Saturn of all brands....hum.....
Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the world coming to? I almost got whipped today by a Honda Odyssey! A friggin' minivan! I had my RDX FLOORED and this Odyssey was pulling away from me! How embarrassing is that?

I bought this thing over a Land Rover LR2, an X3, and a Saturn Vue Redline because it was the fastest! I guess it's not fast enough. The only reason I didn't lose is because the Odyssey's top end wasn't there, but in acceleration from say 60 to 120, the sumbitch was beating me! What do they put in those Odyssey minivans?

The one small ute that I know is faster is the Subaru Forester XT with the turbo. It's in the mid-5's, which is a lot faster than the RDX, which shows up no better than 6.5, 0 to 60, in the best runs. At least the 2008 Forester XT was that fast. I can't say the same for the new redesigned 2009, bigger, fatter version.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my frustrations. Man that was humbling. And infuriating to know a doggone minivan - A FRIGGIN' MINIVAN! - just might be able to take an RDX.

Somehow people with RDX and TSX like to think they got cheap version of Lamborghinis. One is an SUV wannabe and the other one is a fancy Accord. Not that there is anything wrong with these rides, but don't expect either one to run like a sports car.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

lol the ford will kick your Saturn out of the boat ..

According to CR 2008

Lows of Ford (Generalization): Braking, fuel economy, engine noise, fit and finish
Lows of GM (Generalization): Fuel Economy, wide turning circles, braking, reliability, fit and finish

The overall score for Ford was 61, GM was 54, honda/acura was 78 (it beat out toyota/lexus!)

Only low for Honda/acura was road noise (which we can all a test to as being pretty bad lol but I can live with it, rdx is not bad actually in terms of road noise), toyota lexus lows were agility and steering wheel.

I'm not sure why you lost to an odyessy (most likely driver error, I'd love to take on an odyessy and prove to you that it was driver error but theres only a handful of ody's that would race :P if any
Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Looks good, drives great!

Gimme a break. You could say the same thing about virtually any brand of car. None of these car company closets is completely clear of skeletons. I'm willing to bet the Ford family doesn't give a darn if you don't buy their cars...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmmporter
Gimme a break. You could say the same thing about virtually any brand of car. None of these car company closets is completely clear of skeletons. I'm willing to bet the Ford family doesn't give a darn if you don't buy their cars...
It's the mid-life crisis thing... let's not all read too much into what he says anymore... it's gone to a point where the reasoning or rationale is non-existent... it's like trying to talk sense to my son when he was 3 years old... he didn't get it then but thankfully now, he's much older and IS getting it...
Old 08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mau108

Only low for Honda/acura was road noise (which we can all a test to as being pretty bad lol but I can live with it, rdx is not bad actually in terms of road noise), toyota lexus lows were agility and steering wheel.
If Honda\Acura stopped using Michelin as their OEM tire of choice the road noise CR always bitches about would be pretty much gone.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:00 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I cant remember if its in the RDX brochure, but I believe with VSA turned off it alters power delivery of the sh-awd and routes more power to the rear wheels and channels power for better sports driving....could be wrong but i need to check....i just had that lingering in my head but who knows