Gawd, the RDX is Slow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
I thought about the Z06, but that GT-R is just...well awesome. My dream car. But every time my wife reminds me of $70,000 a year for tuition and room and board that I have to come with, the dream fades. LOL. I could easily get my dream car if it wasn't for the brats. They better be worth it, in the long run.
I need to see one in-person. The GT-R is a bit on the heavy side. On the other hand, the wife doesn't drive a stick. Also, I'm sure there will be BT kits for the GT-R. But by the time you throw in just the BT for the GT-R, you could probably buy long tube headers, exhaust, intake and a Callaway blower for the Z06. I'm pleasantly surprised that the z06 mods are not terribly highly priced. The only gripes I have about the z06 is the plain interior.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SinCity
I need to see one in-person. The GT-R is a bit on the heavy side. On the other hand, the wife doesn't drive a stick. Also, I'm sure there will be BT kits for the GT-R. But by the time you throw in just the BT for the GT-R, you could probably buy long tube headers, exhaust, intake and a Callaway blower for the Z06. I'm pleasantly surprised that the z06 mods are not terribly highly priced. The only gripes I have about the z06 is the plain interior.
But the GT-R does have a lot of technical wizardry and AWD.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Meat Popsicle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done Plainsman. 1 Post and 42 responses.
Does anyone even think this person really has any of these vehicles?

I see him/her driving his mom's used Taurus.
;-)
Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by WantRDX
Are you sure it was an Odyssey? It could have been a Mazda Bongo.
Nah, I've grown weary of dusting RDX's (and Saturn Outlooks).

Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lilfeat
Well done Plainsman. 1 Post and 42 responses.
Does anyone even think this person really has any of these vehicles?

I see him/her driving his mom's used Taurus.
;-)

What I find interesting is... he has grown kids and probably in his late middle-age, and he is behaving like he was still in his early twenties...

Why the heck would 60-130 mph acceleration matter so much to a supposedly mature bloke??? boggles my mind...

anyway... as usual, we should ignore... really... we should ignore him... ummm.. really...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:34 PM
Pro

Well....if you are a car enthusiast, 60-130 will matter to you. No matter the age. Besides, what is "middled age" nowadays? 40+? 50+?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Well....if you are a car enthusiast, 60-130 will matter to you. No matter the age. Besides, what is "middled age" nowadays? 40+? 50+?
then you buy a fast (sport) car, not an SUV....people in the forum keep talking about 0-60 times and how much better the RDX is for beating this or the other car by a fraction (or even a full) second...who F-ing cares...not everyone is "racing" the 4,000lb SUV...To the average customer, the extra second will have zero to no relevance in the real world....
Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Go Buckeyes

+1 totally agree, the last time I check the fastest highway speed in the USA is 70-75mph, who cares about how fast you can get up to 130mph, (that should be done on a racetrack anyway)
Old 07-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrestrepo
To the average customer, the extra second will have zero to no relevance in the real world....
Beg to disagree here. The average customer needs a good 0-60 to navigate short freeway entry ramps or veer out of a stopped lane into a moving one. 60-130 might prove useful to pass people on 2-lane or 3-lane roads. However, if you do it, you'll likely end up with speeding and reckless driving tickets -- so I won't insist on this one.

As far as the "racing" goes... yes, I agree it's infantile... but you sometimes need to take the edge off... and it's a nice feeling when a "fat slob" SUV (or minivan, or truck) outruns a sporty Civic or something similar. Most men never grow out of dick-measuring competitions in all forms. It's the way we are wired. It doesn't mean all of us will buy sports cars, but it does mean we'll "race" one another from time to time.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by af145
Beg to disagree here. The average customer needs a good 0-60 to navigate short freeway entry ramps or veer out of a stopped lane into a moving one.
Most men never grow out of dick-measuring competitions in all forms.
Beg all you want...The HWYs have something called the on-ramp that allows you to keep moving, so the time that would matter is, say, 30-60, or 40-60. Now, if you really need to speed up to 130 to pass someone on the HWY I would think is better not to pass them.

Taking the edge off is one thing, I certanly do it all the time. "Racing" someone means that you and the other person know that are in a competition. Let me elaborate...One night driving home in a 1987 Saab 900S a guy in a Camry was driving side by side with me in a two lane hwy...he would speed up and slow down until we were side by side again, looking at me all the time...I was driving with my wife and decided to downshift and get away....I wasn't racing him, I was getting away from a stalker...My car was very slow, he caught up with me in no time, passed me and I slowed down....well, he slowed down too, we are side by side again and I try to get away again, same thing happens again...So, am I racing this freak? no!, I am simply avoiding him. Did he "smoke" me? I'd say yes since I wasn't able to get away, does that make my car a POS? well, the car was a POS, but not for that reason....If we were "racing", I wasn't informed of that.

Now, to dick measuring...if that's what this is all about we should do just that...measure them, put a sticker with the lenght and girth on the driver's side window and go with that...you pull up to a light see someone has one bigger than yours, don't need to race, just give him a nod and assume that you lost the race...how's that??

Oh, I forgot that people may start putting faux stickers next to it...15" type R, or 13" AMG.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lexia
I never did understand why the RDX got great acceleration numbers, it's rated at 240hp and weighs 4,000lbs with an auto/awd for more drivetrainloss, I test drove one and it didnt feel as fast as my husbands Volvo but it was snappier than my xc90

but really there is no operator error in a automatic car

finally found the root of your thinking.
--------------
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
big shot.

in reagards to speed(ing)....

in the world of SUV's....0-40, 0-60, those numbers are real world numbers in that they equate to every day driving performance. They matter. It matters especially in a truck. It matters when ur a city driving maniac who needs quickness. And yes, 1 second, 2 second differences matter and reflect the overall quickness and power one vehicle has vs another. Im not talking one car is faster than another, im talking the ability to accelerate the vehicle when need be. Id much rather be in something that has very strong 0-40, 0-60 potential than something that is a slouch. Top speed...could care less.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Pro

then you buy a fast (sport) car, not an SUV....people in the forum keep talking about 0-60 times and how much better the RDX is for beating this or the other car by a fraction (or even a full) second...who F-ing cares...not everyone is "racing" the 4,000lb SUV...To the average customer, the extra second will have zero to no relevance in the real world....

60-130 is important. For instance, many of the highways here on the west have speed limits between 70 and 75 mph which most people are cruising along at around 80 average on the slow side (this is pretty much the average on I-15 between LA and Vegas). That extra "oomph" could get you out of a tight spot when you have unyielding big rig drivers who are also driving around 80 mph. I-15 is mostly 2-lanes each way from Vegas to LA. Now keep in mind, this scenario is not necessarily (sp?) related to the RDX but merely pointing out that 60-130 is important to some people.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Go Buckeyes

SinCity - I will agree with you that people do go over the speed limit but even at 75 mph, you do take a chance with a ticket going over 85.
So I would say that yes a quick response up to 85 or so would be a plus, but not over 100 mph.
If you are going that fast that is racing (and in some states that is a go to jail offense) weather it is just you or you are trying to pass a Minivan.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you need to get up to 130 to pass some one, you don't have enough room to make the pass and shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

... or you're just an asshole.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
big shot.

up until a few years ago, montana didnt even have a speed limit....

theres places to drive, if someone wants to go 130 thats their choice, going 130 in an suv, that just i dunno they dont go together unless ur in something like a Porsche ...id be skeptical of wanting to do 130 in a body style like an RDX/x3 etc.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by af145
Beg to disagree here. The average customer needs a good 0-60 to navigate short freeway entry ramps or veer out of a stopped lane into a moving one. 60-130 might prove useful to pass people on 2-lane or 3-lane roads. However, if you do it, you'll likely end up with speeding and reckless driving tickets -- so I won't insist on this one.

As far as the "racing" goes... yes, I agree it's infantile... but you sometimes need to take the edge off... and it's a nice feeling when a "fat slob" SUV (or minivan, or truck) outruns a sporty Civic or something similar. Most men never grow out of dick-measuring competitions in all forms. It's the way we are wired. It doesn't mean all of us will buy sports cars, but it does mean we'll "race" one another from time to time.

Basically, all this talk about 0-60 and 60-130 times, is really asking if the RDX has enough torque to accelerate out of emergency situations...

It's got 260 lb/ft torque available from 2500rpm up...I think that is more than sufficient to pass a slower moving car on a fast freeway, merging against a fast moving trailer truck...

why is anyone even at 130 mph on a typical north american freeway???

I have made overtaking manuvers many a time on the freeway, but never one that necessitate accelerating to 130 mph. If the latter was necessary, that means the car I am overtaking is already at around 120-130 mph, which is pretty darn fast, so I wouldn't even consider overtaking him...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Pro

The 130 was tossed around by some else in here. I would agree that most passing manuevers would/should occur well below 100.

Can we agree that 60-90 is important?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
ddb
Instructor

The 130 was tossed around by some else in here. I would agree that most passing manuevers would/should occur well below 100.

Can we agree that 60-90 is important?
I'd say more like 30-90 is important, which covers both merging onto highways and overtaking situations.

- DDB
Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM
El Chulo...

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile debadged~deturbo'ed

Zero to any speed is important to me. If we didn't car about speed or power we would all be driving loaded CR-V's better gass milage and no acceleration right...?
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Zero to any speed is important to me. If we didn't car about speed or power we would all be driving loaded CR-V's better gass milage and no acceleration right...?
No, not true...power is not the only advantage on the CR-V...it is style, luxury, features, etc.
As a matter of fact, Ford is starting to offer the "everything" packages in their 4 cylinder Escapes (you had to get the V6 before to get them), they are also getting rid of the V6 emblems...so, no, acceleration is not the most important thing. Also, in case you didn't know, CRVs are being sold faster than RDXs...so more people are driving those loaded CRVs
Old 07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Intermediate

Beg all you want...The HWYs have something called the on-ramp that allows you to keep moving, so the time that would matter is, say, 30-60, or 40-60. Now, if you really need to speed up to 130 to pass someone on the HWY I would think is better not to pass them.

...If we were "racing", I wasn't informed of that.
There's a particularly nasty spot in Brooklyn: entrance onto the Belt right before a bridge. The entry lane is like 50 yards; sometimes people are just stopped on it, so you have to stop behind them. I'm sure this is not the only spot in the U.S. where road builders decided to save a few bucks at the cost of safety and convenience. So I insist -- you do need a fast 0-60! 130 is, of course, an exaggeration, but I'd say you need 60-100 from time to time. That said, I don't advocate going 100 in an RDX (or any other car) for an extended period of time.

As for your experiene with the stalker -- this guy was an asshole, period. You should've called 911 on him. Downshifting and trying to speed away was, in fact, "racing", which meant just playing into his hands. By "dick-measuring", I was thinking more of a short friendly dash from a traffic light. If the other guy acts like an asshole (tries to cut me off, wields weapons, etc.), I'm not going to "race" him: I'll slow down, change lanes if possible -- in other words, get away.

I'm not sure if Americans use the "dick-measuring" euphemism the way we do, but where I'm from, we use it to describe people's (mostly men's) desire to participate in competitions, often meaningless and a sometimes dangerous.

Peace!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^ Lol. Don't worry, we yanks fully appreciate and understand the term... Although a diagram would be helpful.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
big shot.

CRV vs RDX sales is really a apples/oranges sale. People may move up to the RDX because they realize what the CRV lacks (a real engine) or, they take the budget to heart and get a great SUV minus the driving experience. CRV's will ALWAYS be a top seller....theres at the least a 4-6k+ difference between the 2 (nav or not) Strictly talking EX-L model here. Thats a big move up for many people who are in the Honda shopping bracket. I love the CRV, but Honda lost me with the new one, heavily underpowered, gas mileage that is almost the same as the RAV V6, and no center console (still have to have those stupid captains chairs). More people are driving CRV's because they are ALOT cheaper than an RDX, and lets face it, when ur in the market for a CRV, MPG & sticker is at the top of your list or close to it, drivetrain...not really. and of course, everything else that comes along with Honda (reliability/resale)

i do agree tho...if companies want to be smart...having the 4cyl option with a full equipment list is the way to go these days
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by MMike1981
up until a few years ago, montana didnt even have a speed limit....
Not entirely true.

The old speed law in Montana was called "resonable and prudent". You were allowed to drive as fast as was reasonable and prudent for the vehicle you are in and the prevailing weather conditions.

Going 130mph in a Vette or a Porsche in good weather = not a problem.
Going 130mph in a SUV in good weather you're probably getting a ticket.

If you did get a ticket, it was a whopping $5 and it was for wasting gas, not for speeding.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
big shot.

yea reasonable and prudent = do whatever u want ,
Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

No, not true...power is not the only advantage on the CR-V...it is style, luxury, features, etc.
As a matter of fact, Ford is starting to offer the "everything" packages in their 4 cylinder Escapes (you had to get the V6 before to get them), they are also getting rid of the V6 emblems...so, no, acceleration is not the most important thing. Also, in case you didn't know, CRVs are being sold faster than RDXs...so more people are driving those loaded CRVs

Exactly... But when driving on fast moving freeways, it would be very good to have a car that can accelerate decently... Honestly, I would freak out driving a Smart car on a fast freeway, and dealing with merging fast moving trailer trucks...

Most cars would fit the above bill...

Some "folks" here are simply asking for a "ferrari" type car performance... they want to just feel that they can "kick" everyone's pants while on the road...
Unless "you" are driving the Porsche Carrera GT, Ferrari Scuderia, Lamborghini Gallardo... say not how many cars you have raced and beaten on the road... but rather humbly declare how many cars actually whipped your butt while you were driving the RDX...

The RDX is not meant to be a performance vehicle in the sense some folks here expect it to be... but neither is it slow...

Just enjoy the vehicle... it should have enough performance and practicality built int to put a smile on your face when you drive it... otherwise, change it and move on... And get this car.. .it should be mor than enough for "you"...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro

Well said Mav. I think we have been a little side tracked on this thread.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced

My experience to date with my RDX has been this;

It's a little slow leaving the line but once it gets going it has more than enough acceleration for real world driving, all the way up to about 90 MPH. At that speed aerodynamics and gearing, along with peak torque arriving around 4000 RPM and then falling dramatically, conspire to make acceleration above 90 MPH far less brisk. Other than the lackluster performance from a standstill, it delivers more than enough, even on the highway. I have gone well into the triple digits but that's just asking for trouble.

The RDX will not compete with a sport sedan with a lower curb weight and bigger engine at any speed. It's not supposed to. And with no aerodynamic advantage over a well designed minivan, especially one with a Honda v6 in it, it's not likely to beat that on the top end, either.

If I want to go fast I'm not getting in a car anyway, at least not one that I can afford. I have bikes for that. Anytime I think that any car (short of a Bugatti Veyron or the like) is fast, all I have to do is twist a throttle, even on my smallest streetbike, a CBR600RR trackbike that will run low 11 second quarters and tops out at 160. I won't even bother to drop stats for my street bike.

Bottom line... your automobile is not fast. Whatever you're driving.

Joe
Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by scudzuki
If I want to go fast I'm not getting in a car anyway, at least not one that I can afford. I have bikes for that. Anytime I think that any car (short of a Bugatti Veyron or the like) is fast, all I have to do is twist a throttle, even on my smallest streetbike, a CBR600RR trackbike that will run low 11 second quarters and tops out at 160. I won't even bother to drop stats for my street bike.

Bottom line... your automobile is not fast. Whatever you're driving.

Joe
I'd be too scared to ride a bike faster than 25 mph. The sensation of speed without nothing around me just makes me cra*p.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Advanced

I've seen 187 indicated (prolly more like 170 in reality, bike speedos are very optomistic) on a limited access highway with no cars, a nice straight, and no onramps. On the racetrack I've seen 155 or so. To turn fast laps, you have to stay on the gas as long as you can in the places you can, but this is not my favorite part of the experience. Toasting a set of knee pucks in half a day is. Any idiot can twist the throttle.

Joe
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Looks good, drives great!

Seems fast to me

I owned a 2002 WRX and a 2005 RL before the RDX and I can tell you that the RDX is pretty quick. There is some turbo lag, but there was also lag in the WRX, which was considered to be quite a quick car as well. The key to speed in any turbo vehicle, including the RDX is revs! Downshift a gear and you will definitely feel the power.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Let Vtec Kick In

Originally Posted by mmmporter
The key to speed in any turbo vehicle, including the RDX is revs! Downshift a gear and you will definitely feel the power.
Totally agree! I was on my way home from queens and it was late and empty, so I was in fourth going 50mph, kept my foot on the gas pedal and downshifted, and floored it. Next thing I knew, I was doing 75mph? and I had to shift up.

Power is definitely there if you use your paddle shifts.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Who the heck in their right mind drives over 100 MPH!?! I mean, sure, we all have "tested" our vehicles at one point or another. But, in all reality, driving 100+ MPH is just stupid. That said, the RDX has PLENTY of power anywhere from a roll to normal highway speeds. I have easily passed cars on the parkway simply by dropping a gear and punching the accelerator. The RDX is fast enough for me. I don't need to race anyone!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Who the heck in their right mind drives over 100 MPH!?! I mean, sure, we all have "tested" our vehicles at one point or another. But, in all reality, driving 100+ MPH is just stupid. That said, the RDX has PLENTY of power anywhere from a roll to normal highway speeds. I have easily passed cars on the parkway simply by dropping a gear and punching the accelerator. The RDX is fast enough for me. I don't need to race anyone!

well said, Carbon2008RDX...

I totally agree with your sentiments and I too question why people are so interested in the ability to hit > 100 mph in the RDX (or any regular street car). Just last Sunday, I was running a little late, and I was hitting around 80-85 mph on the freeway, very few cars around, and just for the 3-5 mins at that speed, made me a little uncomfortable. The RDX was very stable at the speed, but just knowing that I am moving at the speed on a regular roadway shared by other fellow drivers, made me more aware of the speed I was traveling at... I can't fathom doing > 100 mph on a freeway like that ever... I have hit > 100 mph, test-driving the bimmer E46 in a controlled environment, secluded old airport runway...

Like you said, the RDX is plenty torquey and fast enough for me... never once did I feel it was anemic... and yes, I too don't have to race anyone on a regular street to boost my ego or prove a point... it's a cross-over SUV, not a suped-up sports sedan...
Old 07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

I'll be honest, I have NOT read all the posts on this (Ok I am lazy!) but the OP must NOT know how to drive then, that has to be the only explanation!!
I have a custom built 350Z with well over 450 WHP so I kind of know fast.....now I am not saying by any stretch that the RDX is as fast but it certainly has a TON more power than any other UTV out there. I have been able to easily over take cars and truck with V6's in the RDX (when needed).
So some advice, stop trying to race someone in a minivan, who dosen't know how to drive either and just enjoy your truck. and if itsn't fast enough for you, go buy the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and there you go! ...

and just 1 more bit of advice, it is NEVER a good idea to FLOOR a turbo car. you want it to go nice and fast??? apply pressure firmly but evenly! don't smash it! ease into it...give it a try........
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL, never a good idea to floor it? WTF? You want max power, you go WOT.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
75+ replies on a troll of a thread... Wow... Hell, now I'm even feeding the troll...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
I know I'm adding to the replies but I thought I'd just throw in...

I was given an RDX as a loaner when my TSX was getting serviced. I had thought about buying an RDX, so I gave it a nice test drive. :-D I noticed a big difference in responsiveness when VSA was turned off. With VSA off a lot of lag was nonexistant.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thunder04
With VSA off a lot of lag was nonexistant.
Someone is going to have to explain to me what possible connection the vehicle stability assist has on the turbo lag.

Quick Reply: Gawd, the RDX is Slow!!!