Different window motor problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 12:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Different window motor problem....

Greetings all. I just bought a 2007 RDX for my son and trying to get it ready to pass inspection. One of the things that we had an issue with was the drivers side window going up and down slowly and sometimes not moving at all. We figured to replace the window motor/regulator assembly.

Putting in the new one and plugging it in, it only moves about a millimeter and stops. In either direction. So it is getting signal, but doesn't continue. Not only is this strange, but now the front passenger window is doing the exact same thing, where it was fine previously. The rear windows operate as expected, so it isn't the child lock switch.

I have read the procedures in this forum for resetting the given window, and attempted that, but in first or second position, the window (and now fr. pass. window too) still only moves a couple millimeters and stops. They do not continue. Before I replace the switch pack or the door harness, has anyone seen this problem before? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2023, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by JarretF
Greetings all. I just bought a 2007 RDX for my son and trying to get it ready to pass inspection. One of the things that we had an issue with was the drivers side window going up and down slowly and sometimes not moving at all. We figured to replace the window motor/regulator assembly.

Putting in the new one and plugging it in, it only moves about a millimeter and stops. In either direction. So it is getting signal, but doesn't continue. Not only is this strange, but now the front passenger window is doing the exact same thing, where it was fine previously. The rear windows operate as expected, so it isn't the child lock switch.

I have read the procedures in this forum for resetting the given window, and attempted that, but in first or second position, the window (and now fr. pass. window too) still only moves a couple millimeters and stops. They do not continue. Before I replace the switch pack or the door harness, has anyone seen this problem before? Thanks in advance!
Have you lubed the window track?
Old 08-04-2023, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you lubed the window track?
Does the glass move freely disconnected from regulator ?
Old 08-05-2023, 08:39 AM
9th Gear

Yea, unfortunately, I am past that. With the motor/regulator on the bench, both old and new, applying 12v to the primary motor wires, it runs up and down fine. When I plug either in to the car and try to operate the switch, is when it only moves afew millimeters in either direction. I am starting to think the switch pack and its internal controller is the culprit. I want to test everything before I spend $70 on a used one from ebay.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:18 AM
9th Gear

UPDATE: it was the $8 window relay, located near the fuses! Bench testing, the old relay worked fine, had continuity, but must have had high resistance internally. All windows work fine, as expected! And is the cheapest solution, after lubing the window tracks
The following users liked this post:
DaIll1 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 12:06 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice to see you got it fixed without paying through the nose . At least with a new regulator your son shouldn’t have the glass rattle while partially opened .

My son bought a 2008 RDX two years ago in a snowstorm and loves the ride and power to this day !

FYI .. checkout the radiator/ transmission cooler lines for corrosion if you haven’t. A real time bomb for sure.
The following users liked this post:
JarretF (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 07:53 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Chopperpilot
Nice to see you got it fixed without paying through the nose . At least with a new regulator your son shouldn’t have the glass rattle while partially opened .

My son bought a 2008 RDX two years ago in a snowstorm and loves the ride and power to this day !

FYI .. checkout the radiator/ transmission cooler lines for corrosion if you haven’t. A real time bomb for sure.
Thanks, will do!