Driver Window Cable or Regulator Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
1998 2.3CL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Driver Window Cable or Regulator Issue

Looking at past posts, it seems that most of you have had a power window problem at some point, but I haven't seen any problems exactly like mine. Yes, I did search, but most other people who post either had the plastic part break apart, a snapped cable, or dead motor, none of which I have.

I was rolling the driver window up and when it got to the top of the track I heard a loud pop or snapping sound. The window stayed up but then fell down when I went over a pothole.

The window is on its track and slides up and down. The switch doesn't engage the window in either direction.

I have the panel off, and when I engage the switch, it tightens and slackens one of the cables but not the other. When I move the window up and down by hand, that same cable tightens or winds properly but the other cable doesn't wind.

Do I need to replace anything (regulator?) or is it some other problem? Can I somehow get that cable to wind properly without replacing parts?

Last edited by UWMU; 07-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Your Girlfriend is in my

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by UWMU
Looking at past posts, it seems that most of you have had a power window problem at some point, but I haven't seen any problems exactly like mine. Yes, I did search, but most other people who post either had the plastic part break apart, a snapped cable, or dead motor, none of which I have.

I was rolling the driver window up and when it got to the top of the track I heard a loud pop or snapping sound. The window stayed up but then fell down when I went over a pothole.

The window is on its track and slides up and down. The switch doesn't engage the window in either direction.

I have the panel off, and when I engage the switch, it tightens and slackens one of the cables but not the other. When I move the window up and down by hand, that same cable tightens or winds properly but the other cable doesn't wind.

Do I need to replace anything (regulator?) or is it some other problem? Can I somehow get that cable to wind properly without replacing parts?
Sounds like your regulator went out. Same went for me. It popped for me and I couldn't roll my window back up while I was on the freeway.

- RemieGino14 -
Old 07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
your window regulator went south for good. You need to replace it. The regulator and motor are one piece. Usually, the plastic at the top of the slide where the cable slides over breaks, or the internal piece in the motor goes. The design was horrible for our cars, I've gone through 4 on my drivers side so far.
The following users liked this post:
UWMU (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 AM
1998 2.3CL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I confronted the inevitable and removed the regulator and motor...and you're all right--the regulator is broken. What broke is one tiny piece of plastic that holds the bead on the end of the cable to the window lift.

I could have glued the cable back on with some strong epoxy, but I think I damaged the motor by playing with the switch so much after it broke.

I couldn't get the cable to come out of the motor far enough to attach it back to the window lift.

I guess the lesson is: if you suspect that your window regulator is broken, don't play with the switch until you can pull the regulator out and see if it's repairable. I think it would have been fixable had I not kept activating the switch.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Common problem for our vehicles. even if you repaired it you probably would have had to replace it later on..