Coolant Temp Indicator? Honda Flaw???? Bad waterpumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2024, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coolant Temp Indicator? Honda Flaw???? Bad waterpumps?

Does anyone know where the data is pulling from for the coolant temp indicator? I have a suspicion that reading may only be coming from the sensor in the radiator. Due to some personal experience it seems like my car may be over heating without the coolant gauge showing that data. I'm starting thinking about water pumps. There isn't any threads on water pumps. Is it possible water pumps are going bad, and the engines are getting hot spots? I have a hard time believing water pumps are making it to over 200k, yet I see no threads on water pump replacements. - and perhaps it contributes to premature failure of the turbo and exhaust manifold? This seems unlikely, but I can't help but think it's possible from my personal observations.

i'm gonna go check if p2226 has a flag for engine temps somewhere.
Old 06-09-2024, 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,487 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX_indy
Does anyone know where the data is pulling from for the coolant temp indicator? I have a suspicion that reading may only be coming from the sensor in the radiator.
It has to be one or both since they are connected to the ECU?
It appears the one at the radiator is OEM Denso & the one at the water pump is OEM Panasonic.

The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
Chopperpilot (06-09-2024), RDX_indy (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeta
It has to be one or both since they are connected to the ECU?
It appears the one at the radiator is OEM Denso & the one at the water pump is OEM Panasonic.
i'm gonna play around with my heat detector gun, to see if anything weird shows up. I know my suspicion is kind of silly, but It nags at me. My car has been low on coolant and still not overheating according to the temp sensor.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:02 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Is it low on coolant at the reservoir or low at the radiator. You will only encounter overheats if you are low at the radiator. Pop off the radiator cap and see if it is empty. I had a slight temp increase when i was low at the radiator due to a leak near the backside of the turbo. It emptied all of the air into the coolant reservoir and refilled the radiator.

The temp meter is garbage on most cars. My volvo has an enormous deadband on its analog style, and so does this rdx. As far as i know, the normal operating bar is between 84C -> 104C which is a big delta.

One way to check if your water pump is working is to see if your heat is working. After refilling the car with coolant i noticed no heat until i revved the engine to push coolant through the heater core.

Get under the car and look up towards the exhaust manifold, you have a major leak but no drips. The coolant must be evaporating through the tailpipe or on the exhaust below the turbo.
The following users liked this post:
RDX_indy (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 08:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yanga001
Is it low on coolant at the reservoir or low at the radiator. You will only encounter overheats if you are low at the radiator. Pop off the radiator cap and see if it is empty. I had a slight temp increase when i was low at the radiator due to a leak near the backside of the turbo. It emptied all of the air into the coolant reservoir and refilled the radiator.

The temp meter is garbage on most cars. My volvo has an enormous deadband on its analog style, and so does this rdx. As far as i know, the normal operating bar is between 84C -> 104C which is a big delta.

One way to check if your water pump is working is to see if your heat is working. After refilling the car with coolant i noticed no heat until i revved the engine to push coolant through the heater core.

Get under the car and look up towards the exhaust manifold, you have a major leak but no drips. The coolant must be evaporating through the tailpipe or on the exhaust below the turbo.

i have the car low on coolant in the radiator before, and still no overheating according to the dash. The car is burning coolant at a slow rate onto the exhaust manifold, best I can figure. never any white smoke, i've smelt it in the cabin a few times. I haven't been driving the car a lot.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a major leak in my radiator. According to my dash I've been within normal operating range. I did have to refill my coolant a few times since I discovered coolant under my car where I was parking. I have a new OEM radiator ready to install but have a few other things to work on first.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by mass978
I have a major leak in my radiator. According to my dash I've been within normal operating range. I did have to refill my coolant a few times since I discovered coolant under my car where I was parking. I have a new OEM radiator ready to install but have a few other things to work on first.
Be careful, these radiators are well known for trans cooler leaking and mixing oil and water. If it is starting to leak replace it asap. You don't want to need a new rad and trans.
The following users liked this post:
RDX_indy (06-15-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mass978
Change the rad. It’s not super difficult and it’s peace of mind. I was going to change mine until I realized it was replaced before based on how dirty it was and the wear on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by yanga001:
mass978 (06-18-2024), RDX_indy (06-18-2024)