Coolant level

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant level

Believe or not, it was first time I opened the hood of my RDX since I bought it 3.5 months ago I was trying to refill the windshield fluid.

After I refilled it, I was looking at the coolant chamber as well. I notice that the coolant level in there is pretty low, the whole "plastic bottle" on the top is empty. I only see like less than 15% of it full. Is it normal ?

When I check the manual, the coolant capacity is supposed to be 3 times more than the windshield container. The windshield containter took almost the bottle of windshield fluid I had last nite. So, if the coolant chamber is 3 times bigger, the "plastic bottle" I can see on the top should be just a little part of the total chamber. I am just wondering if my coolant level is ok that low as I usually see the coolant level at least half of the bottle full (the portion I can see).

I guess it could be the way the RDX design. If you notice, its windshield fluid chamber is different than other cars as well. Need some expert's opinions ! Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Missin my TSX =(

great thread, i was meaning to start one like this, but i keep forgetting, but yea, when i opened my hood about a month ago, my coolent level was right below the Minimal line... should i fill it a bit more or just leave it?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced

The bottle that you're looking at is the "overflow" bottle for the coolant. Since the coolant system is a closed system, the coolant needs somewhere to go when the volume expands due to heat, so it ends up in the overflow bottle. Likewise, when the coolant cools, it will draw back from the overflow bottle. Obviously, a good portion of the coolant is in the radiator and circulating through the engine.

As long as the coolant in the bottle is btwn the max and min lines, it should be fine. If your coolant is "right below" the minimal line, just leave it for now... but check it once and a while to see if it keeps dropping.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Thanks

Originally Posted by Skeandhu
The bottle that you're looking at is the "overflow" bottle for the coolant. Since the coolant system is a closed system, the coolant needs somewhere to go when the volume expands due to heat, so it ends up in the overflow bottle. Likewise, when the coolant cools, it will draw back from the overflow bottle. Obviously, a good portion of the coolant is in the radiator and circulating through the engine.

As long as the coolant in the bottle is btwn the max and min lines, it should be fine. If your coolant is "right below" the minimal line, just leave it for now... but check it once and a while to see if it keeps dropping.

Thanks for the advice
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced

No prob. Just got schooled on that last summer when working on my motorbike!

Found a good diagram to back up my story as well:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system7.htm
Old 01-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Skeandhu

thanks dude.. well said
Old 01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Good question and anwser I was wondering the same thing.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just opened my hood for the first time in a while and noticed my coolant level was very low. Well below the minimum line. I don't remember noticing what level it was at the last time I looked. Can someone that just picked their's up look to see what level their's is at? I can't imagine it was this low when I bought it. Looks like something that everyone will have to keep an eye on to see how the level changes. I definitely need to fill it.....
Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Instructor

Yes, on delivery my coolant surge/overflow tank was below minimum as well. However, I checked the actual radiator level (by opening the cap: WARNING - DO NOT DO THIS IF ENGINE IS EVEN A BIT WARM OR HOT. DO THIS ONLY IF ENGINE IS COLD!) to make sure the coolant is there.

You can refill the surge/overflow tank to just above the minimum line, and you should be OK until the next scheduled service.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
I just opened my hood for the first time in a while and noticed my coolant level was very low. Well below the minimum line. I don't remember noticing what level it was at the last time I looked. Can someone that just picked their's up look to see what level their's is at? I can't imagine it was this low when I bought it. Looks like something that everyone will have to keep an eye on to see how the level changes. I definitely need to fill it.....
Mine is just about at the max line. I just got in from say an 45min drive. I will check again in a few hours after it is cooled to see if it goes down much and let youe know.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Instructor

After sitting for a while it is between the max and the min. line.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Always use Honda Long-life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. This coolant is pre-mixed with 50 percent antifreeze and 50 percent water. Never add straight antifreeze or plain water. The Type 2 has a much longer service life, about 5 years vs the old standard antifreeze which is typically a year or 2.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:20 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by Chas2
Always use Honda Long-life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. This coolant is pre-mixed with 50 percent antifreeze and 50 percent water. Never add straight antifreeze or plain water. The Type 2 has a much longer service life, about 5 years vs the old standard antifreeze which is typically a year or 2.
I almost topped of my overflow tank today -- it was below the min line -- but the stuff in there was blue and what I have at home is 50/50 Prestone/water that is the regular old yellow stuff. I figured I should research it first, so I am glad to see this note. Thanks Chas2.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sasair

I've had my RDX a month now. A week ago I decided to put in some Rain-X washer fluid and while under the hood checked my anti-freeze as well. Engine was cold, and outside temps were in the 10s. My coolant was also below the MIN line by about 1/2 inch. I just got back from a short trip, checked the level again, and it was right at the MIN line. Check it when the engine is warm and see if that puts it at MIN.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got back from the dealer where I had them replace my wiper blades, they were leaving streak marks and also had them fill my coolant. I'll have to monitor it to see how the level fluctuates. I don't believe I have any leaks as there are no drips in my garage or driveway....
Old 02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I dropped my car off today at the dealer I realized that I had never opened the hood on my car (I had seen showroom cars with the hood open, but I hadn't verified that my own car actually had an engine). So, I popped the hood while they were looking at the mileage and noted that the coolant overflow tank was at the max mark after a 10 mile highway trip to the dealer.

And I specifically avoided checking the oil in case I ended up not being able to get the dipstick wound back in and looked like a fool in front of the service personnel - thanks for the heads up on that one guys...