Appearance/Convenience/Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 01:04 AM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dombey
Bloomington Acura-Subaru in Minneapolis has this installed on a showroom RDX, they charge $299 for it - it's 3M branded...and you can probably negotiate it down from there.
That is an OUTSTANDING price! I'm wondering what the film covers. With how these things are marketed, you can get a hood piece (just the leading edge or as much as 12" back), partial or full front bumper coverage, headlights, mirrors, A-pillars, etc. The kit I got covers the entire front fascia, deep hood, leading front fenders, mirrors, and the installer tossed in door handle recess protection.

Of course last week I was fortunate enough to be following a trucker who s-p-a-z-z-e-d at the wheel and went off-road, gravel storm in my face (I was about 200' back). There is now just one little white chip about 8 inches up from the film on the hood. Guess I was lucky.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just got Mr. Wong's pads in, even included dbl sided tape for the install! these things are nice and will def smooth out all the bins and what not!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr. Wong provided an excellent product and provided top notch service and shipping.
His RDX pads are highly recommended.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MakTypeR
Mr. Wong provided an excellent product and provided top notch service and shipping.
His RDX pads are highly recommended.
I got these too. No more pens & things sliding around in the center console or glovebox. Very nice!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Just bought them on eBay! Hopefully they ship fast!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
3rd Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
When I got the RDX, one of the first things I noticed was my girlfriend's irritated glances at the nice leather binder that holds all the factory RDX docs. It was sliding back and forth in the front passenger door pocket while I, um, drove around. In fact, I noticed that all cubbyholes were unlined in a very non-Acura manner. What?? Enter eBay and Mr. Wong.

I browsed and found PadsPlus advertising a complete kit for the RDX. I ordered, he delivered and then some. Each of the 15 rubberized foam pads was cut to fit. Each had a sticky label describing where it belonged. On top of that, he included a sheet of 2-sided tape squares and instruction on how/where to use them. Brilliant and a nice added touch.
My pads arrived very quickly from Mr. Wong. They fit perfectly and really help with the rattles. I appreciate each piece being labeled and the sheet of double sided tape provided. EXCELLENT PRODUCT!!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Cruisin'

Awesome service from Mr. Wong

Another kudos to Mr. Wong on the fast shipping of the pads for the RDX. Its fits them perfectly. Very well thought of to label all the pads, so takes the guesswork out of installing it. The double sided plastic tape is an added bonus.

Thank you Mr. Wilson Wong !!!
Old 01-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

PadPlus from Mr Wong

The pads from PadsPlus fit great. The front cupholder pads could be slightly improved, there is just about 3mm gap on the sides. I would recommend them, they make an already great vehicle just a little better
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Cruisin'

My pads arrived from pads plus today! They are a perfect fit and stop things from rattleing especially in the cupholders. Thanks Wilson Wong!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
User-approved

Update

Bump. It's been about 6 months since I parked this amazing vehicle in my garage. I've got 9500 miles on the clock, the MID shows 19.6 mpg overall average (enthusiastic driving), and I have 60% oil life remaining on my second fill. I try to run Shell 93 Octane. Since XLR8's exciting post on the Vortech mileage device, I installed 3 inline and am now selling my gas tank runoff to the neighbors at a charitable $2.98/gal. Kidding. I put the stuff in my Honda mower and snow blower, they're loving it.

Appearance: the 3M Clear Bra is still providing the best protection no one will ever notice. I've run the beastie through an automatic (brushless) wash at least once a week. There are no signs of those fine scratch lines that can happen, the edges of the film have not peeled, the stuff has protected me from gravel storms, so I'm good with it. The kit I purchased on eBay and had installed by a local 3M guy (he let me have his Bimmer 540i overnight, kinda fun) covers the entire front fascia and mirrors. He talked me into filming the door handle cut-outs.

I also transferred the blue interior LEDs from the TL I traded to the RDX. I purchased a festoon LED on eBay since I didn't have that style. The blue lighting looked fantastic with the black interior and aluminum accents in my TL - I wasn't so sure of the effect with taupe. No worries - to my jaded eye, we are talking show car here. The interior isn't just lit - it glows as if illuminated from within. Very interesting. Passengers and parking valets who see it for the first time are pretty pumped - my girlfriend just rolls her eyes. Practically speaking, it is very easy to read by - or look at maps, which I don't do very often because of the Nav system. The visor vanity mirror lites are still stock, because, you know, you don't want your face paint, I mean makeup adjustments, looking as if you're a Child of the Night (vampire).

Last item here is the spray can polish you can get at the Honda motorcycle dealer. The maniac who lives across the street ran over as I was backing out of my driveway one day and hosed my window glass, side mirror and door panel with the stuff, then proceeded to wipe it off and buff. I was impressed with the results. You can use it on any surface. He wouldn't do the rest of the RDX. Bugger.

Convenience: Mr. Wong's PadsPlus install for the console bin, glovebox, map pockets and elsewhere are a winner. The custom-cut foam pads have eliminated the irritating rolling and rattle of items in these storage cubbies. The 2-sided tape he included has been used where there are curved contours and they haven't come loose in 5 months. I'm going to put the tape on the pads for the map pockets since I didn't do that originally and my apparent use of the brake pedal as a boat anchor has caused those pads (and what's on them) to shift forward. I counted around 40 responses from other forum members regarding the pad kit - I'm glad that so many have benefited from this product.

Performance: maybe I went a little overboard when I did a take-off swap between the Michelin OEMs and a set of 255/45ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's. My feeling is that these skins have taken the performance of the RDX to the next level, no matter what the road surface. Over the last 6 months I've driven some pretty crazy combinations of snow, sleet, rain, black ice, interstate, local highways and mountain roads, and I have to say they have performed consistently, predictably, quietly and have left some pretty cool tread patterns to boot. OK, maybe the black ice raised my pucker factor, but short of studded ice-rated rubber, what wouldn't. The bottom line here is that each corner of the RDX told me what was going on - I could feel approaching limits when I pushed them and those limits, IMHO, were up there.

As I said in my original post, these tires are a match made in Heaven - combined with the SH-AWD capabilities and excellent dynamics of the RDX, I can't think of many road cars (er, vehicles) that have been so enjoyable in various driving conditions. Finally, my experience with Michelins over the years is that they don't get hard and noisy with age - at least the sporty ones don't. I've found that after a year or so, for whatever reason, tires tend to get hard and therefore less responsive when you need it, plus the noise factor becomes nasty. Two brands I've ridden on - Michelin and Yokohama - are the exceptions.

Last item in this diatribe - the HIR (Halogen Infrared Radiation) bulbs I got on eBay from Max Lumens that I swapped out with the high beams/DRLs. They rock. Those babies remind me of coming down fast and dark on an unlit strip, then flaring and flipping on the landers - it's like the sun coming out. They Will Cause Blindness with oncoming traffic and make anyone you are forced to flash feel as if they got 20 years-worth of X-Rays in a second. In fact, if you flash an oncoming moron, or even one who waited until the last moment to pull out in front of you on that 55-mph highway, you will see them and their vehicle interior features like it was displayed on a 1080p hi-def TV. Not for the faint of heart. When used for dark night visibility, just do it. They aren't white light and aren't meant to be, but function trumps fashion here - you'll see what's in front of you.

In the pipeline: second last item in this diatribe. I've ordered a Hidden Hitch and harness based upon reports in the RDX forum. I'm planning on replacing the fogs with a yellow beam that's been reported in the forum elsewhere - I want to see in inclement conditions and could care less about the pure-white stylin' statement. I'm not dissing anyone, I'm just saying that the driving I do requires the best possible vision solution in the worst possible circumstances. Plus it may eventually look cool, you never know.

Finally, I am looking for the perfect date between 2 aftermarket vendors, Hondata and CP-E, or someone like them. I think that a reasoned approach to an RDX performance bump would be highly desirable. There is no question that Hondata rules when it comes to ECU. CP-E has a brain trust with noteworthy accomplishments. To me, few sounds are more thrilling than a turbo spooling up to that piercing whine. Dentist office piercing whines excepted. Thrust Is Good. More Thrust Is Gooder. The future holds some interesting possibilities!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:52 PM
10th Gear

Thank you Mr. Wong!

I recently purchased a set of Mr. Wongs RDX pads for my 08 RDX and they were perfect! They came superfast, were easy to install and made a huge difference in keeping things from moving around in the bins and cup holders. They are well worth the $.

http://stores.ebaycom/PadsPlus?refid=store
Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SIK_SD
I recently purchased a set of Mr. Wongs RDX pads for my 08 RDX and they were perfect! They came superfast, were easy to install and made a huge difference in keeping things from moving around in the bins and cup holders. They are well worth the $.

http://stores.ebaycom/PadsPlus?refid=store

Times two! Fast shipping was awesome!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear

Smile PadsPlus inserts for the RDX

Just received my insert pads from Wilson Wong for my new RDX. They were purchased on eBay and I can't begin to tell you how great they are. They're precut for all the cup holders and bins of the RDX. Installation was easy and they really add a lot to an already fine car. I highly recommend this inexpensive accessory!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 PM
User-approved

PadsPlus x 3

7/2 I ordered a set for my solution to stretching mpg and hypermiling - the Bongo SE of an 08 Civic Si Sedan - and Mr. Wong had the goods delivered in the Saturday mail. On top of an excellent product, blazing fast service. Thank you again, Mr. Wong!

So. Any suggestions on keeping the tach in the frugal range below 6,000 and away from the seductive 6,000+ Screaming Banshee of Death?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation Extended Warranty vs Road Hazard

Originally Posted by Archivist
Hey all:

Just a quick update to my last question re: Discount Tires. For everyone's info, I've now had 3 no 4 new Lease Vehicles that I've gone to Discount Tires and "purchased" an Extended Warranty as if purchased from Discount originally.

I just priced my new RDX (sight unseen by local dealer) at $ 120/set (4) of OEM Tires - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. On my BMW X3 all 4 tires were replaced during my 3 years of Lease at least once at a total cost of ~ $38 @. Given that the tire (Bridgestone Turanza yada yada) cost almost $ 300 per, this was a pretty good investment. Can't speak for every Discount Tire, but mine seem most willing to do this as long as you have limited mileage on the tire prior to buying the warranty!

Regards - Dave
Dave

Are you extending the tread life to get free or almost free tires or are you just adding road hazard. I call my discount tire location and they will only add road hazard. I have a 36 month lease on a RDX 08

Danny
Old 07-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Got the pads in three days from Mr. Wong. Got free shipping which is normally almost $8. Work and look great. Wish Acura hadn't cut corners on OEM liners though. Does anyone know of a lift kit for the hood? The hood must weigh a ton.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM
3rd Gear

Just received and installed the Pads Plus liners made by Wilson Wong. They fit great and look OEM. You can find them on eBay by searching for seller padsplus. Well worth the investment IMHO.

stumo
Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

Got some padsplus liners a few weeks ago - just got around to putting them in today (have a new baby). They fit great and seem to hold things in place. Recommended.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
10th Gear

Mr. Wong crew member, just got mine today. They fit perfectly
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Intermediate

BleuM&M: how do you clean your front end with the 3M vinyl on - can you wax it or do you just use a clear plastics polish on the vinyl?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 PM
User-approved

Oiler, just use a non-abrasive wax or polish on it. I got a can of "Motorcycle Stuff" Spray Cleaner and Polish from the local Honda bike shop that's good on any surface, including the ClearBra. To be honest, I've run the RDX through the local brushless carwash with no ill effect - nothing sticks to the 3M, and after 9 months of weekly washes, paint and film remain flawless.

Of course, I always risk being flailed by deer whistles that were cleaned off the front bumper of the 74 Dodge RAM pickup that went before me. Luckily, the 2 places I go are very careful about how their equipment operates and what goes through them. I was kidding about the deer whistles, but I've heard about that happening elsewhere.

I just ordered a ClearBra for the Si from ILoveMyMotor on ebay. I'll let you know how that experience turns out.