Appearance/Convenience/Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Appearance/Convenience/Performance mods

Hopefully at some point these topics will be subdivided by our Moderator. I'd like to share what I've run across while looking for enhancements to my RDX. This may not be news to some, but could be helpful to others.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM
User-approved

Appearance

I HATE stone chips. I usually lease my rides, so every dink on the finish is a thorn in my side when it comes to lease-end inspections. Cratered paint can add up to big bux. Even if you own, you want to keep your car nice. I tried the vinyl/fleece auto-bra route, but they are a pain when it rains/sleets/snows etc. So I explored clear protection and discovered one could pretty much cover their car in invisible armor. I went the rational route and opted for front end protection in the form of a 3M product. There are others. You will find a lot of merchants out there and covering the front of an RDX can run you over $800 retail for a top-notch job.

A favorite place of mine to browse is eBay. I found this guy called chipgardman who sold me a kit for my RDX at a really great price. The installation instructions compelled me (I'm left-handed, possibly dyslexic, maybe ADHD) to go to a 3M-authorized installer who did an excellent job and who also raved about the quality of the kit chipgardman sold me.

As the advertising says, it's the best protection no one will ever notice.

I also got an Acura rear bumper protective appliqué from H & A Accessories (not on eBay to my knowledge) that appears to be the same type film. I hope to browbeat my local dealer into a free install because I've been a really good customer (3 cars from them plus 3 referrals).
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM
User-approved

Convenience

More about stuff I found on eBay. I traded an Element for my RDX. Anyone who knows Elements will tell you the interiors celebrate hard plastic in really big ways. Hobnail floors, give me a break. One aftermarket item I found to be delightful was a liner kit for the numerous trays, holders and bins that minimized the distracting noise of loose items tossing about and even stopped some of them from moving around. It was a die-cut kit, dropped right in those storage nooks, that I took out when I traded, so if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll fork it over for next to nothing.

When I got the RDX, one of the first things I noticed was my girlfriend's irritated glances at the nice leather binder that holds all the factory RDX docs. It was sliding back and forth in the front passenger door pocket while I, um, drove around. In fact, I noticed that all cubbyholes were unlined in a very non-Acura manner. What?? Enter eBay and Mr. Wong.

I browsed and found PadsPlus advertising a complete kit for the RDX. I ordered, he delivered and then some. Each of the 15 rubberized foam pads was cut to fit. Each had a sticky label describing where it belonged. On top of that, he included a sheet of 2-sided tape squares and instruction on how/where to use them. Brilliant and a nice added touch.

Now my girlfriend is focused on my spirited driving skills. Thank you Mr. Wong!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:19 AM
User-approved

Performance

Many in the enthusiast community will argue that the single most significant improvement one can make in handling is in tires. The RDX comes with a very nice set of Michelin Pilot HX MXM4s which are rated by Tire Rack as Grand Touring All-Season tires. They scored 16th out of 17 tires in the class shown for consumer surveys. I would have expected better. The RDX certainly deserves better. This consumer has a bias for Michelin and Yokohamas - prior experience. Another Michelin scored #7 (MXV4 S8) and no Yokos on the list. The rest I wouldn't make a swing from. Well maybe I would. Time to move on.

The Michelins rode nice, were quiet, but displayed a high wimp factor in cornering and wet pavement (haven't had the frozen stuff yet). I wanted to keep with the stock 18" wheels because going to 19s or more wasn't practical with my daily drives which can cover all types of roads in all kinds of weather, drive times up to 8 hours one way. Bigger wheels = harsher ride. I have no desire to swap winter/summer tires or wheel combos, so I looked for OEM wheel solutions. And kick it up a notch. Found one.

I managed to talk my local Discount Tire (I know, NOT Tire Rack but they can be cool) into a take-off trade on my very low-mileage OEM Michelins for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, size 255/45ZR18. A match made in Heaven as I reported on my check-in post. Wider profile, quiet ride, better treadwear, OMG cornering and yes, more $$, but did I mention the smile factor. They are rated Ultra High Performance All-Season at Tire Rack and scored #3 of 15. I will rate them as #1 after my 8 hour trip to PA where it was raining and blowing so hard the pinstripes peeled off the sides of the RDX. I told my Acura salesman that other than that, the drive was excellent.

As for Yoko... they have the Advan S.4, same performance class, that actually scored 2nd in the consumer survey. This tire is less costly but is newer and less proven. It could very well prove to be a winner!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Did you happen to notice the Honda Press Release that said that the Michies were "exclusive" design for the RDX? (Stiffer sidewalls to support the hard cornering, etc.)?

The RDX is the first Acura with standard 18-inch wheels and tires. RDX comes with 18x7.5-inch aluminum alloy wheels paired with Michelin P235/55R18 99V high-performance all-season tires. These high-performance all-season tires are exclusively designed for the RDX, and have optimized sidewall rigidity that maintains vehicle stability in all load conditions. The low-profile tires also provide top class traction and braking in all weather conditions. In addition, an optional dealer-installed 19-inch wheel and tire package is available.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:57 AM
User-approved

Yes I noticed, and I can tell you that in comparison with other vehicles I've owned, the OEM Michelins were a very good match for the RDX and will be excellent for most drivers. Acura did a great job. My humble opinion is that the swap makes an even better match for this particular demanding driver without going to dealer-installed 19s (that don't ride on Michelins) or other options.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:06 PM
User-approved

Convenience - safety

No, I don't own stock in eBay (dang), but I promote good experiences. The RDX is the first vehicle I've had with DRLs and the second with HID low beams and halogen high beams (the DRLs). Some folks have modded the highs to HID which is illegal almost everywhere, used a blue-tint bulb and/or higher wattage bulb, both bad ideas in my opinion - blue/white light isn't the best for visibility, causes reflected glare, and more watts fry harnesses and fixtures.

I had an 05 Accord V6-6sp coupe that I put a set of Phillips +50 bulbs in the highs and lows - nice improvement over stock, better vision in nasty weather, but the bulbs have a shorter lifespan. And I wanted more light, of course!

Elsewhere in this forum mention was made of HIRs. Briefly, using advanced technology, these halogen bulbs use the same wattage as stock, have the same bulb life, but burn up to 75% brighter. Plus they are 100% legal. There's this gent on eBay by the name of hir_headlights who delivered me a set of Toshiba 9011s that are now in the RDX. I also bought a set of 9012s for my girlfriend's Accord.

The HIRs have a different fitment tab than the 9005s and 9006s, and Mr. Max Lumen (the eBay guy) was kind enough to mark the areas that need to be trimmed to fit, which can be done with nail clippers or a dremel. It took me all of 10 minutes to trim and install. They are a snug fit in the sockets.

To me, these lights are a big plus when it comes to visibility and safety. No, the light isn't bright white to match the HIDs, but man do they shine. I swapped just one bulb to make a comparison - what a difference.

If you're looking for a color to match your HIDs, these bulbs aren't for you. These bulbs are for people who want to see better at night and in bad weather. Thank you Mr. Lumen!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convenience - Thanks Mr. Wong

I also found Mr. Wong on eBay and can fully recomend his solution for the RDX. All of the pieces are exact fits and nothing slips when on top.

His communication during the sale was excellent and the shipping was very quick.

Thanks Mr. Wong!!!

Originally Posted by BleuM&M
More about stuff I found on eBay. I traded an Element for my RDX. Anyone who knows Elements will tell you the interiors celebrate hard plastic in really big ways. Hobnail floors, give me a break. One aftermarket item I found to be delightful was a liner kit for the numerous trays, holders and bins that minimized the distracting noise of loose items tossing about and even stopped some of them from moving around. It was a die-cut kit, dropped right in those storage nooks, that I took out when I traded, so if anyone wants it, PM me and I'll fork it over for next to nothing.

When I got the RDX, one of the first things I noticed was my girlfriend's irritated glances at the nice leather binder that holds all the factory RDX docs. It was sliding back and forth in the front passenger door pocket while I, um, drove around. In fact, I noticed that all cubbyholes were unlined in a very non-Acura manner. What?? Enter eBay and Mr. Wong.

I browsed and found PadsPlus advertising a complete kit for the RDX. I ordered, he delivered and then some. Each of the 15 rubberized foam pads was cut to fit. Each had a sticky label describing where it belonged. On top of that, he included a sheet of 2-sided tape squares and instruction on how/where to use them. Brilliant and a nice added touch.

Now my girlfriend is focused on my spirited driving skills. Thank you Mr. Wong!
Old 10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Modz

Hey just wanted to share some modz I did to my RDX. [IMG]Niagara082.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC00232.JPG[/IMG] [IMG]DSC00211.JPG[/IMG]

Not too sure how to post my pics. Hope it worked.
I've been seeing too many RDX's so I had to do something.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Cruisin'

Another for Mr Wong and Pads Plus, they are awesome! I didnt use the cup holder ones (to be honest, really didnt even want them), but all the others are great!
Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 AM
5th Gear

Worthwhile Upgrade

Nice addition to a nice vehicle these pads do get rid of the noise of coins or other objects in all the trays. Protests electronic devices too from banging around. Thanks for filling the need, they fit perfectly.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Xpel - clear 3m protection
i bought them for my headlights/fotlights/sideblinker(they come in one set)
OMG hard as heck to PUT ON..(except for the sideblinkers on the mirrors, those were cake).
Old 11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by clearwave1
I also found Mr. Wong on eBay and can fully recomend his solution for the RDX. All of the pieces are exact fits and nothing slips when on top.

His communication during the sale was excellent and the shipping was very quick.

Thanks Mr. Wong!!!
I also purchased these foam pads from Wilson Wongs store on ebay. Just like the other posters I am very satisfied. They do the trick. Sure you could make these yourself, I tried. I just couldn't get the right fit or the right material. Why waste your time. Thanks Wilson.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Wong's Padsplus- You guys are right, these things make everything stay where you put them. Why didn't I think of that?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
I managed to talk my local Discount Tire (I know, NOT Tire Rack but they can be cool) into a take-off trade on my very low-mileage OEM Michelins for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, size 255/45ZR18....
Thanks for the informative post, I was looking at the Advans myself, till you mentioned the Pilot Sports. They should be about 3/4 inch wider than the MXM4s.

Do you have any clearance issues with them? Any rubbing during tight turns?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:34 PM
7th Gear

Question Pads Plus & Michelin Pilots

Hey BleuM&M:

New owner here looking at your tips. I've not had any luck finding the PadsPlus that you mentioned on eBay, so would like a link if possible. Also how many miles did you have on your Michelin's before you were able to "trade". My son is picking up my new vehicle in CA and driving it to CO this week, but it might be best to send him to Discount first w/new tires vs waiting to get home w/1000 miles???

PM me if its a violation to post this info.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all the tips - maybe I can reciprocate after a bit. PS for those looking to compare, I'll be able to provide a live comparison w/my X3 (leased for 3 yrs) and the RDX within a month, should be interesting!

Regards,

Dave
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 PM
7th Gear

Talking Discount Tire - Extended Warranties

Hey all:

Just a quick update to my last question re: Discount Tires. For everyone's info, I've now had 3 no 4 new Lease Vehicles that I've gone to Discount Tires and "purchased" an Extended Warranty as if purchased from Discount originally.

I just priced my new RDX (sight unseen by local dealer) at $ 120/set (4) of OEM Tires - Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. On my BMW X3 all 4 tires were replaced during my 3 years of Lease at least once at a total cost of ~ $38 @. Given that the tire (Bridgestone Turanza yada yada) cost almost $ 300 per, this was a pretty good investment. Can't speak for every Discount Tire, but mine seem most willing to do this as long as you have limited mileage on the tire prior to buying the warranty!

Regards - Dave
Old 11-12-2007, 08:24 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the Padsplus post. Just ordered them!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 PM
User-approved

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Thanks for the informative post, I was looking at the Advans myself, till you mentioned the Pilot Sports. They should be about 3/4 inch wider than the MXM4s.

Do you have any clearance issues with them? Any rubbing during tight turns?
Nope, not one single clearance issue. My turns if anything have been tighter due to grip enhancement. They look like OEM fit which is what an Acura dealer rep also told me after he noticed something 'different' about my rubber.

I'm still trying to figure out the magic of these tires since they seem to bond with the pavement even in the wet, yet they have a 400 tread wear rating I would normally associate with unfriendly handling and noise on anything other than glass-smooth and dry surface.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:23 PM
User-approved

Mr Archivist: the eBay link to the excellent pad liners is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Non-S...QQcmdZViewItem . I will also PM you this link in case the forum mod rules have been trashed and this disappears.

I validate your post regarding for the replacement certificates (Extended Warranty) Discount Tire will sell you to cover OEM tires - they've done it for several of my vehicles. Folks, if you do this and end up bringing them shredded and melted tire debris (one of mine barely had a tire bead left), they will replace your tire, no questions asked. This is A Good Deal.

As for take-off trades, I delivered my RDX to Discount Tire with 47 miles on the clock. I did something similar with the Element I had a year ago. The local manager told me if there were less than 1000 miles on the tires, they would be willing to talk. As far as that goes, there may be tire dealers who may step up to the plate - nothing ventured, etc!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

More about stuff I found on eBay... Enter eBay and Mr. Wong.

Ordered these pads as well. They shipped quickly, were a perfect fit and Mr. Wong has great service!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:21 AM
7th Gear

Talking PadsPlus & Discount Tire Warranty

BleuM&M:

Thanks for the update and info on PadsPlus, on order. Also appreciate feedback on the Discount Tire Warranty.

For those interested - I obtained my extended warranty today for ~ $ 130 on the OE Michelins, which according to Discount Tire retail for ~ $ 245@.

Given my driving habits (different vehicle - BMW X3 and tire (Bridgestone Turanza)) I was able to return my BMW w/o purchasing a new set of tires (~ $1000 +/-) as all 4 had to be replaced by the Warranty.

As previously noted, folks that's a pretty good TRADE - ~ $ 250-300 total vs $ 1000+ or more if multiple sets needed in 3 years. Again just a thought for anyone looking to save a bit!

Dave
Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

I, too found PadsPlus had exactly the right set custom fitted to the RDX, and delivered my set, including full instructions, extremely promptly. Well done, Mr. Wong!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXTC
I, too found PadsPlus had exactly the right set custom fitted to the RDX, and delivered my set, including full instructions, extremely promptly. Well done, Mr. Wong!
Thanks to y'all I now have a set, too.

Thanks Mr, Wong.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Nope, not one single clearance issue. My turns if anything have been tighter due to grip enhancement....
I'm still trying to figure out the magic of these tires since they seem to bond with the pavement even in the wet, yet they have a 400 tread wear rating...
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S has a number of advantages over the stock HX MXM4:

higher treadwear----------------400 vs 300,
higher traction--------------------AA vs A (.54 vs .47 braking g-force),
higher speed rating--------------Y vs V (186 vs 149 mph),
wider footprint--------------------255 vs 235,
lower unsprung weight---------28 lbs vs 29 lbs,
lower chassis ride height-------13.6" vs 14.2" tire radius = .6" lower ride,
tighter turning circle-------------27.2" vs 28.4" tire diameter,

the only disadvantage I see is revolutions/mile 762 vs 731 means mileage will accrue slightly faster, and actual speed will be slightly lower than idicated (62.25 @ 65 mph) not significant if you are aware of it.

Overall nice choice!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:00 PM
User-approved

Originally Posted by 737 Jock

higher treadwear----------------400 vs 300,
higher traction--------------------AA vs A (.54 vs .47 braking g-force),
higher speed rating--------------Y vs V (186 vs 149 mph),
lower unsprung weight---------28 lbs vs 29 lbs,
lower chassis ride height-------13.6" vs 14.2" tire radius = .6" lower ride,
tighter turning circle-------------27.2" vs 28.4" tire diameter,

the only disadvantage I see is revolutions/mile 762 vs 731 means mileage will accrue slightly faster, and actual speed will be slightly lower than idicated (62.25 @ 65 mph) not significant if you are aware of it.

Overall nice choice!
Thanks! I just hate it when I nudge my RDX above 170 mph, knowing I can't sue if the tires fly off - another good reason for the Pilots! I figured my speedo would be off about 4% with the switch due to the revs/mile. I can live with it.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:47 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
Thanks! I just hate it when I nudge my RDX above 170 mph, knowing I can't sue if the tires fly off - another good reason for the Pilots! I figured my speedo would be off about 4% with the switch due to the revs/mile. I can live with it.
Well, with the Pilot Sports 170 is only 162.8, and your rated limit with the Y speed rating would be 194.2 on the speedometer. If we only had that V6....
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Instructor

No, I don't own stock in eBay (dang), but I promote good experiences. The RDX is the first vehicle I've had with DRLs and the second with HID low beams and halogen high beams (the DRLs). Some folks have modded the highs to HID which is illegal almost everywhere, used a blue-tint bulb and/or higher wattage bulb, both bad ideas in my opinion - blue/white light isn't the best for visibility, causes reflected glare, and more watts fry harnesses and fixtures.
I don't know if you know this, but the 2008 RDX comes with bi-Xenon headlamps. When I test drove my RDX, the sales guy showed me how to turn 'em on (I live around dark, unlighted, rural roads). Oh my God! Hi-beam Xenon's !!! Awesome!!!
Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
User-approved

Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
I don't know if you know this, but the 2008 RDX comes with bi-Xenon headlamps. When I test drove my RDX, the sales guy showed me how to turn 'em on (I live around dark, unlighted, rural roads). Oh my God! Hi-beam Xenon's !!! Awesome!!!
Well then. I know the HIDs stay on when I flick to the highs, but to my knowledge, they are not bi as were the units in my 06 TL. Please share!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Red face Kudos to Wilson Wong at Pads Plus

Bought Mr. Wong's set of pads for our RDX via eBay - and they are great. They fit exactly, look very nice (eg made to order), and do prevent stuff from slipping. Also, prevents the plastic at the bottoms of all these areas from being scratched. A real bargain.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
as far as i know the 08 is the same as 07, the hid is low beam only, for high beam hid stays on but is not bi-hid's the highbeam is halogen.

Yup just checked Acura's website. Go to standard features and click lighting.

"All RDX models are equipped with Xenon High-Intensity Discharge low-beam headlights."
Old 11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
You beat me to it neo, I went to:

Acura Media Newsroom, 2008 RDX introduction:

BODY & CHASSIS FEATURES

Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) low-beam headlights
Sounds like another knowledgeable salesman.....
Old 11-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 737 Jock

the only disadvantage I see is revolutions/mile 762 vs 731 means mileage will accrue slightly faster
Well - and if you live anywhere near snow, you certainly don't want to go with a wider summer tread over a narrower all-season!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 PM
User-approved

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Shortly after Valentines Day 07 we got a dusting of around 19 inches, then it got better with blizzard conditions, so you can rest assured I have no interest in running any kind of summer rubber: I'm not one to switch seasonal blends like those nutty gas refineries. Oh wait, they HAVE to because of ill-conceived EPA fictional requirements. Flame On!

I have back-to-back experience with the OEM MXM4s and the replacement Pilots in the wet. The difference was nothing short of astounding. The grip of the Pilot A/S was like this: when it first rains after a dry spell, the pavement is really greasy - lots of sliding around on the MXM4s, but uncanny hookup with the Pilots. Yeah.

I also based my decision upon prior experience in snow/ice conditions on Michelin Sport A/S rubber combined with actual user results posted on the Tire Rack website. The Pilot A/S is admittedly an aging design, but is still ranked #3 among its peers when the going gets nasty.

My experience thus far reveals a tire you can put onto your original wheels that is ultra-quiet and smooth but can make blood shoot from your ears if you decide to play roller-coaster. Just kidding, but the cornering improvement is gratifying.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:02 AM
10th Gear

How much are we looking at if we wanted to trade in our new OEM for these Pilot A/S? Anyone?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:29 PM
2007 RDX CGP/Taupe

Originally Posted by alinda
Bought Mr. Wong's set of pads for our RDX via eBay - and they are great. They fit exactly, look very nice (eg made to order), and do prevent stuff from slipping. Also, prevents the plastic at the bottoms of all these areas from being scratched. A real bargain.
Purchased and received a set of pads last week. Very nice product.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by grooks1
Purchased and received a set of pads last week. Very nice product.
Also bought a set of pads from Wilson Wong for my RDX, very nice product, highly recommended !!!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Intermediate

Bloomington Acura-Subaru in Minneapolis has this installed on a showroom RDX, they charge $299 for it - it's 3M branded...and you can probably negotiate it down from there.

I HATE stone chips. I usually lease my rides, so every dink on the finish is a thorn in my side when it comes to lease-end inspections. Cratered paint can add up to big bux. Even if you own, you want to keep your car nice. I tried the vinyl/fleece auto-bra route, but they are a pain when it rains/sleets/snows etc. So I explored clear protection and discovered one could pretty much cover their car in invisible armor. I went the rational route and opted for front end protection in the form of a 3M product. There are others. You will find a lot of merchants out there and covering the front of an RDX can run you over $800 retail for a top-notch job.

A favorite place of mine to browse is eBay. I found this guy called chipgardman who sold me a kit for my RDX at a really great price. The installation instructions compelled me (I'm left-handed, possibly dyslexic, maybe ADHD) to go to a 3M-authorized installer who did an excellent job and who also raved about the quality of the kit chipgardman sold me.

As the advertising says, it's the best protection no one will ever notice.

I also got an Acura rear bumper protective appliqué from H & A Accessories (not on eBay to my knowledge) that appears to be the same type film. I hope to browbeat my local dealer into a free install because I've been a really good customer (3 cars from them plus 3 referrals).
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AC11
Also bought a set of pads from Wilson Wong for my RDX, very nice product, highly recommended !!!
Received the set of pads for my wife's RDX from Wilson Wong off of eBay. Great addition to the vehicle.

Still can't believe Acura didn't add any rubber to the bins or cup holders on the RDX.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:46 PM
7th Gear

Thumbs up PadsPlus

Hey Gang,

Just got my PadsPlus from Wilson Wong, great product and recommended! I had one missing and Wilson sent it right out, so if you need and you do well designed pads in your cubby's, get'em!

Dave

Quick Reply: Appearance/Convenience/Performance mods