09 since last November... my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 since last November... my thoughts.

First. I did a LOT of research, and a LOT of reading on this site. Thanks to all those who have posted. Thought I would repay the board by adding my thoughts so far of this car.

Before deciding on the RDX, I test drove (and researched) the CRV, the CX-7, the Highlander, the RAV4, the Murano & the Rogue. I had created a large spreadsheet comparing the cars with all the features, etc. We felt that for the money, it was the best car available. I have not been disappointed. We ended up with the 09 Base in Grigio Mettallic (grey) with a taupe interior.

We have a 20 month baby and although the interior is not huge, we have yet to have a problem fitting in everything. Its great that the back seats can fold almost flat to the ground.

Safety - I feel really safe driving this car, which was one of the main reasons for getting it.

Handling - the SH-AWD is incredible. My wife was sold when we took it for a test drive in a snowstorm and we couldn't spin the car out in a parking lot.

Handsfree - I have an iPhone and it works like a charm. Great, great feature. FYI - My friends 09 BMW X3 does not have this feature which shocked me.

Stereo - I think the sound is great. XM is fun. And when I want to plug to the AUX, the sound is great too. I am not sure what people's expectations are, but I think the sound is great.

Turbo Lag - I really am not sure what people complain about. Sure, there might be about 1/2 second delay but when you need power, it is there.

Stiff Ride - Again, I am not sure what people complain about. I find the car very comfy. I would suggest that people need to readjust their seat.

I had the back seat squeak for a while and was driving me nuts, but I took it in and they repaired it with no problems. Told me there was a Service Bulletin for it.

Mediocre Mileage with Premium gas - My only real issue, but I knew what I was getting into and I easily offset this with all of the other things listed above. I have driven 10000kms so far (about 70% city) and I reset my trip computer after each fillup so I tend to watch it closely. Overall, my car is about 13.3 L/100kms. City driving it hovers around 14, and on the highway it hovers between 9.8 - 10.5 depending on conditions, etc. (Don't know the conversion to mpg.. sorry).

I will check back periodically, and see if anyone has any further questions.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Racer

Can someone convert his stats for MPG. I'm too tired to do it....lol
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
13.3 L/100km = 17.685307 miles per gallon

(You are too tired to cut and paste into the google search bar? Just cut his number with units then type "to mpg" and search--whamo google calculator to the rescue!)
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think your impressions are spot on.

For me also the only real issue is the mediocre gas mileage, but coming from a V6 pumping Premium I don't find it as much of a burden as some others make it out to be. But I guess anyone coming from a 4 cyl pumping Regular would feel like they were getting robbed at the pump.

As to the much-maligned ride quality, I agree with mark444 that I never felt unduly uncomfortable in my RDX. But due to its loud road noise it won't be my first choice for a long highway ride.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by red00tl
I think your impressions are spot on.

For me also the only real issue is the mediocre gas mileage, but coming from a V6 pumping Premium I don't find it as much of a burden as some others make it out to be. But I guess anyone coming from a 4 cyl pumping Regular would feel like they were getting robbed at the pump.

As to the much-maligned ride quality, I agree with mark444 that I never felt unduly uncomfortable in my RDX. But due to its loud road noise it won't be my first choice for a long highway ride.

I am puzzled by the "rough ride" and "loud road noise" comments too after my 2 months with the RDX.

First I think the RDX rides pretty close to as good as my 07 TL. Sure a little more bumpy here and there, but hell a bump is a bump and you are going to feel it in any car or suv. I'll take that considering this thing takes turns better than my 07 TL ever could! I always feel planted no matter how much I push it!

Second the loudness issue. Do people actually ride around with the radio off? With the Radio on even low volume (5-10) the road noise is in audible even at 80mph (windows up of course). Windows down ever car is "noisy"
Old 08-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
you get better mileage in the city than on the highway?
Old 08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks for the review. my sister is looking into the RDX and she also has a baby (8 months)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bgillette79
I am puzzled by the "rough ride" and "loud road noise" comments too after my 2 months with the RDX.

First I think the RDX rides pretty close to as good as my 07 TL. Sure a little more bumpy here and there, but hell a bump is a bump and you are going to feel it in any car or suv. I'll take that considering this thing takes turns better than my 07 TL ever could! I always feel planted no matter how much I push it!

Second the loudness issue. Do people actually ride around with the radio off? With the Radio on even low volume (5-10) the road noise is in audible even at 80mph (windows up of course). Windows down ever car is "noisy"
no way. RDX is the noisiest car ive owned. Wind/road noise level is unacceptable in this car. It needs better isolation, flat out. When the suspension is pushed or goes thru extended travel/recoil..the thunks and thudding, regardless of how 'sport tuned/tight' the ride is, is just too much. Im not complaining, as i really dont care and love the reflexes and stiffness of the RDX, but at times it just feels cheap and unrefined. Minor impacts to the suspension cause too much comotion that transmits into the cabin.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
big shot.

while an accord/tsx/tl will glide over pavement cracks, the RDX lets you know where every single one is, you feel it and hear it.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MMike1981
while an accord/tsx/tl will glide over pavement cracks, the RDX lets you know where every single one is, you feel it and hear it.

Is it possible Mike thatthe 09 might be a little bit better insulated for road noise than your 08?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
big shot.

i dunno, ive driven an 09 many times because my 08 was in the shop alot this summer...i cant say that i noticed a difference. Driving the RDX since 07 has made me do one thing that i never used to do, leave the stereo on NO MATTER WHAT. The turbo noises grow tired to me, and the crashing of suspension and unsettleness gets on my nerves now. It was cool in the beginning, because i think it contributes to the overall performance/sporting nature of the truck, but i grew tired of it quick..sometimes you just want to enjoy a nice quiet ride ya know?

I also drive a TL during the work week, sometimes back to back with my RDX...all i know is that in terms of ride quality (noise/vib/harshness/isolation etc) they are dissimilar.

the RDX is just harsh, to me. I kinda dig it, but its aggravating when I really just want to relax and cruise, its just a noisy car in operation, and a busy ride during times when you dont want it to be (id rather highway drive in a V6 Accord or TL etc). For twisty backroads and flying around the city, i wouldnt want anything else, but for leisure driving at the summer homes and highway trips in the winter to go skiing, i wish i had an awd sedan or more polished truck to spend 4 hrs in.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Racer

I've got a 5 hour drive coming up next week and I plan on doing it straight through without stopping. (Then obviously 5 hours back home). So that 10 hour haul should be a good test of comfort. It is ALL HW miles too.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Mike - I'm with you. I love the effect of SH-AWD and the very sporty suspension that gives the RDX such an awesome road feel, at the lack of comfort on less than perfect roads. Part of me wants a quiet cushy ride at times and part of me LOVES the sportiness the RDX has.

I really like the 2010 MDX redesign with 6-six speed which might be the best of both worlds. Except it's more car than I need not to mention a waste of $ to upgrade when I have a mint 2008 RDX. Also, I hate to buy a "first year" model when any mechanical changes made (hence 6-speed) until all the bugs are worked out. Maybe the 2011 MDX will be on my horizon unless Acura gets it together and makes some serious changes to the 2011 RDX.

Originally Posted by MMike1981
i dunno, ive driven an 09 many times because my 08 was in the shop alot this summer...i cant say that i noticed a difference. Driving the RDX since 07 has made me do one thing that i never used to do, leave the stereo on NO MATTER WHAT. The turbo noises grow tired to me, and the crashing of suspension and unsettleness gets on my nerves now. It was cool in the beginning, because i think it contributes to the overall performance/sporting nature of the truck, but i grew tired of it quick..sometimes you just want to enjoy a nice quiet ride ya know?

I also drive a TL during the work week, sometimes back to back with my RDX...all i know is that in terms of ride quality (noise/vib/harshness/isolation etc) they are dissimilar.

the RDX is just harsh, to me. I kinda dig it, but its aggravating when I really just want to relax and cruise, its just a noisy car in operation, and a busy ride during times when you dont want it to be (id rather highway drive in a V6 Accord or TL etc). For twisty backroads and flying around the city, i wouldnt want anything else, but for leisure driving at the summer homes and highway trips in the winter to go skiing, i wish i had an awd sedan or more polished truck to spend 4 hrs in.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
big shot.

and with my aggravation, the RDX would be close to perfect with selectable damper settings like the MDX...that way, we could have the best of both worlds...i think other than maybe a drivetrain option, a variable suspension would do wonders for the stock set up, and change the RDX's take it or leave it driveability
Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like the variable suspension. In fact, I would like to be able to make it even harder occasionally, then dial it way back for the bumper to bumper commute. As a plus it would probably help keep the rattles at bay.

Noise? My last car was a modified WRX. It was a wee bit louder than the RDX. (Actually, it was louder stock, too.) The Bridgestones I put on helped a lot for road noise. To a certain degree, all cars are loud here (DFW) because you drive over expansion joints constantly with all the concrete roads. The RDX has never really bothered my much with road noise (in fact, no car really has--just not something that bothers me--so I am a poor judge).
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While I don't find the RDX that quiet or refined, it's good enough for the most part. The ride is a bit annoying. I only hate it when it crashes. It does this over bumps than most normal cars have no issue with.

I think an EX35 would be more suited for my life (no kids) - though it's small even for car standard.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the firm suspension with the long travel. Makes me feel invincible as no road imperfection is going to bottom out the suspension. And maybe it's my sports car preferences and background, but the RDX never felt harsh to me, in fact I find it too isolating when I want some sportiness. Oh, also if they could get the TL nav system, and the now defunct accord v6 hybrid engine in it, it'd be perfect.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like how the RDX drives and handles. The ride is bumpy, but I don't find it harsh at all. I find that you feel everything on the road, but it isn't jarring. And I really don't find the noise to be excessive, either. Maybe it depends on the roads.

My other car is a Lexus ES330 and there is no comparison to the RDX in ride quality. But there is also no comparison in handling, either. The RDX is just such a pleasure to drive. I really like the Lexus because it is very smooth and very comfortable, but I still can't wait to get into the RDX. It is just way more fun to drive.

I would say that I prefer the ES on long road trips because it is so comfortable. They are about the same in gas mileage, so that's not really an issue.

I have absolutely no regrets about buying the RDX.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

I've had my 09 RDX since March this year. No problem so far.

I drove up to the middle of Oregon and back about a month ago for a camping trip. It was ~10 hours each way and I old stopped to fill-up and eat. I wasn't uncomfortable at all, even though I was coming off a smooth Accord V6. I don't think it's particularly noisy, but then I haven't spent a lot of time in anything from Lexus.

The RDX held all of our camping gear without any issues. Gas mileage didn't drop much either after it was loaded up, but it's still not very good at ~20 mpg. The passing power is there when you need it, even at 70mph. I got stuck behind some slow people on a long descent so it was nice shifting with the paddles instead of riding my brakes.

The handling is phenomenal. I'm still skittish about stepping on the gas during turns to kick in the SH-AWD. Generally I take it easy. It's only when someone fast is behind me that I push it (i.e., Porsche).

I didn't extend the XM radio after the trial period. They've been sending me fliers with deals so I might bite (go for the $77/year deal). I use my iPod through the aux jack and it sounds terrific!

I was going to get the Grigio with taupe interior, but got talked out of it. It's a bit cooler after sitting in the sun with the light interior, but dirt and grime don't show up as well with the ebony.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgillette79
I've got a 5 hour drive coming up next week and I plan on doing it straight through without stopping. (Then obviously 5 hours back home). So that 10 hour haul should be a good test of comfort. It is ALL HW miles too.
You should have no problems...

I have absolutely no complaints about the ride quality / comfort. A buddy and I took a road trip from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles, CA for the Long Beach Grand Prix. Taking turns driving, and only stopping for gas and quick meals, we put in 19 hours (1,155 miles) behind the wheel the first day. We both commented that neither of us were stiff or sore after spending so much time in the seats.

Similarly, no comfort complaints on the return trip, doing about 550 miles the first day, and about the 750 miles the next.

As for fuel economy, according to the MID I was averaging around 9L/100km (26MPG) running at 70 mph, and it dropped to about 11L/100KM (21 MPG) running at 80 mph. Even realizing that the MID is optimistic on the fuel economy front, I was still pretty happy with those numbers.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Pro

Rarely do first world countries have highways that make you hate the ride. It's the broken city streets that let you know it's not well tuned.

There are cars/CUVs out there that handle better, weigh just as much yet don't lose all composure over consecutive bumps or a sharp bumps.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 AM
big shot.

completely agree....the RDX falls apart on anything but a highway...yea its handling is awesome, but theres no reason why it cant be both great handling as well as a great daily driver. the suspension needs some serious tuning, like cw said...there are manyyyy vehicles out there that get it done, no reason why the Acura cant (even without active dampers)
Old 08-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Intermediate

I really wouldn't say it "falls apart" and I have never felt like it "lost all composure". I drive in Toronto and there are plenty of awful roads. I used to have a pickup before, and that would lose composure on bad roads. The back end would literally skip out to the side if you hit a bad section going too fast. I guess it depends what you are comparing it to.

I had a 2010 RX350 a couple weeks ago as a loaner. I was very surprised that the ride quality is only marginally better than the RDX. My wife and I both agreed we prefer the RDX overall.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Pro

I've felt it lose composure. It's not that common, but 2 or more consecutive bumps and it's like the suspension just goes super loose and gives up. It's very odd.

It's not that big of a problem, but when you do hit those bumps - you feel like you're in a 1978 truck for a second.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
big shot.

bang bang bang
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
I just try to approach nasty uneven pavement gently. It's a small sacrifice to enjoy the RDX's awesome SH-AWD and sporty complex on better roads.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mark444
Overall, my car is about 13.3 L/100kms. City driving it hovers around 14, and on the highway it hovers between 9.8 - 10.5 depending on conditions, etc. (Don't know the conversion to mpg.. sorry).
do you have the car reporting your fuel consumption in l/100km? I would love to see how you managed.
My car reports in mpg (US/UK style), but I would like it to show me the l/100km numbers.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Pro

Can't be switched as far as I know. Canadian cars are L/100km. It's actually somewhat surprising you can't switch the units in the MID.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cwepruk
Can't be switched as far as I know. Canadian cars are L/100km. It's actually somewhat surprising you can't switch the units in the MID.
canadians and also the whole Europe (except UK of course)
The Canadian RDX reports in l/100km?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Yup, Canada gets L/100km. We're metric. I really wish we could choose how to display, but we can't. That is one of the first things I asked the dealer.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:57 AM
2nd Gear

I should've done this for my original post. So I did the conversion from L/100kms to mpg. Here is what I have.

Overall (about 10,000kms = 6200miles) I have been averaging 13.3 L/100km (17.7mpg). During city use (a lot of stop and go) I hover around 14 L/100km (16.8mpg). When on the highway I am between 9.8 - 10.5L/100km (24 - 22.4mpg).

I am hoping that I have passed the break-in period and these numbers may improve slightly. I have noticed better mileage in the past month or so. And I generally only use Shell V-91 gas.

And the Canadian RDX's (at least my 09) cannot be changed to mpg.