09 RDX nosies/turbo blow off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 08:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 RDX nosies/turbo blow off?

Hi all,
wife complaining about some vibrations, so I took the car for a spin for about an hour. aside from the main problem, which I started a different thread for so as to not confuse things, I heard some noises that may or may not be strange.
the car has about 110k miles, original owner.

I noticed when putting the car into drive, there was a growling noise like if there was a hole in the muffler, or maybe some aftermarket exhaust. it didn't seem like a big deal to me, but I never drive the car and she said this is a new noise. the sound wasn't there when I put the car into neutral or reverse or park, only drive and S (whatever S is, sport? slow?). the noise goes away when the car starts moving above 5 mph or so, but that may be more because i can't hear it over regular driving noise. there's not much more to describe about it, but I thought I would check with you guys in case this is a thing and some of you have seen it.

the other thing I noticed was if the turbo kicks in above the 50% mark on the gauge, I hear a whistling noise toward the rear passenger side of the car. the whistling gets more intense as the boost increases. I just assume it was some overload blowoff or something, but I have driven the car occasionally in the past and I think at some point I must have floored it once or twice, and I don't recall hearing that noise. is this standard or is this something I will need to look into?

thanks for any input

Old 09-13-2021, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 206 Posts
Hard to pin down your vibrations, but I would recommend looking into the front axles and suspension. At 110k miles you could definitely have some worn parts (struts, mounts, bushings, etc). Front axles going bad aren't too common, but I've read about it a few times on here so it's not unheard of.

As for turbo, some noise is definitely normal. You'll hear it most often around 2500-3000 rpm with moderate to heavy throttle - above that the engine noise probably drowns it out, and below that your variable flow valve isn't fully open and the turbo is usually pretty quiet, even if the boost needle is up.

Lastly, the growling noise...probably best to see if you can hear it from outside the car and get a better idea of where exactly it's coming from. A few pics of the exhaust on the underside will tell you if it's aftermarket or not.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Hard to pin down your vibrations, but I would recommend looking into the front axles and suspension. At 110k miles you could definitely have some worn parts (struts, mounts, bushings, etc). Front axles going bad aren't too common, but I've read about it a few times on here so it's not unheard of.

As for turbo, some noise is definitely normal. You'll hear it most often around 2500-3000 rpm with moderate to heavy throttle - above that the engine noise probably drowns it out, and below that your variable flow valve isn't fully open and the turbo is usually pretty quiet, even if the boost needle is up.

Lastly, the growling noise...probably best to see if you can hear it from outside the car and get a better idea of where exactly it's coming from. A few pics of the exhaust on the underside will tell you if it's aftermarket or not.
hi,
thanks for taking the time to reply

as far as the vibrations go, this thread isnt about them, i wouldnt expect anybody to figure out my vibration problem just from me saying theres vibrations. i have a different thread for the vibrations. this thread is for the couple things i noticed while taking the car for a spin to try and figure out what the vibrations were.

as far as the turbo noise goes, im familiar with how a turbo sounds typically. the whistling noise I'm hearing seems like it could be normal, but I never heard it in this car before and it seems like something has changed. maybe a something is leaking or broke now when it wasnt before. i havent yet been able to get under the car and look at the piping.

as for the growling noise, the exhaust is stock. what i meant was i was comparing the sound i am hearing to the sound of a hole in the muffler or an aftermarket muffler, i didnt mean that i had a hole in the muffler or i had an aftermarket exhaust and didnt know it. with that said, there could very well be a hole in the exhaust, but the noise would be there in neutral and park as well, and that isnt happening. if anything, i think the noise is related to the drivetrain, probably trans.

thanks again
Old 09-25-2021, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

So, I took a pal from work for a ride to see what he thought about the vibrations. During that time he took a look under the car (I hadn't yet looked under the car), and the exhaust pipe had come apart at the flange right before the muffler. The support arm that was once welded to the exhaust seems to have rusted out. The spring loaded bolts that were pulling the exhaust pipe into the flange rushed off the exhaust pipe. The pipe is just hanging there rattling. This also appears to be the source of the whistling noise under heavy boost.

The vibrations are still a thing, but at least I know the growling noise and the whistling aren't super critical at this time.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by gnojham
So, I took a pal from work for a ride to see what he thought about the vibrations. During that time he took a look under the car (I hadn't yet looked under the car), and the exhaust pipe had come apart at the flange right before the muffler. The support arm that was once welded to the exhaust seems to have rusted out. The spring loaded bolts that were pulling the exhaust pipe into the flange rushed off the exhaust pipe. The pipe is just hanging there rattling. This also appears to be the source of the whistling noise under heavy boost.

The vibrations are still a thing, but at least I know the growling noise and the whistling aren't super critical at this time.
If the exhaust is rusted that badly, you may want to take a look on the under side to make sure you don't have something important about to fall off.