R.I.P. Rims.....Possible Lawsuit Ahead

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 03:19 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry R.I.P. Rims.....Possible Lawsuit Ahead

Well, I guess its back to the stock OEM wheels for now...

NOTE: The story is long (sorry) so if you'd like the abridged version, just read the text in the italics.

Basically 2 roads that met at an intersection were uneven by 5" because the construction company tore out one road to be re-done, and didnt make a "ramp" to the 5" righter road. No warning construction signs, and I hit the 5" tall other road going 45mph. Bent totaled 2 rims and a tire and now im having to file a claim with the contractors insurance, and if they dispute, im taking them to court for the
damages...I was quoted the damages total just over $1000....so, back to the stock wheels until all this crap gets straightened out. The upside, I can use this $$ towards the new wheels Ive been wanting.

Most of you probably dont know but last Sat. I totaled 2 of my rims and 1 tire. Locally there was been tons of road construction with repathing & widening the roads. At one major intersection, they had torn out the East to West road and left the North to South road alone. This caused the N-S road to be roughly 4" higher than the E-W road. Usaully then the roads meet (at the intersection) they will lay down some asphalt like a "ramp" for cars because the roads dont match up anymore. This intersection was the exception, they didnt do that. Driving along minding my own business (no construction signs, no "bump", "dip" "slow" signs to be aware of) So i didnt think twice about it. I was goin threw the intersection at about 45mph and i was on the phone w/ my sister when all of the sudden, "BAM!!!" My car jerked up in the air, and my jewel case for my TV&DVD player broke off and fell to the floor. (my sister heard the "bam" over the phone and thought I had been T-boned & in an accident)

Anyway, I stoped to check the damage and noticed a "bubbled tire." I took my car to my local tire shop to have the damage inspected and while the car was in the air, they spun my wheels and showed me what i had feared. Both wheels on the passenger side were bent sooo bad that 1/2 the rim looked flat and was lobbing while spinnng. So basically, 2 of my wheels are bent soo bad that the car cannot be aligned anymore until i get new wheels. (the 1 bubbled tire is toast too)

I contacted the city and now im in the process of filing a claim with the Contractors/Construction company's insurance...If they dispute the claim, I will be taking them to court.

Oh yea, the damage total for 2 of my rims and 1 tire....Just over $1,000...
So, its back to the stock wheels until all this get settled out. Hopefully once I have my $$, I'll be able to use that toward the new wheels i've been wanting.

Just thought I'd share the story...sorry it was long...heres some picts....

-CJ

So now the new *project* is to wait for my deserved $$ and then put that towards my *dream wheels*
The downside is that I just found out the wheels I want was discontinued in the color I wanted. Soo...now I have to get them custom painted once I get them...
Old 09-01-2005, 03:23 PM
yadadaa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn man. that sucks ass. you better get paid now. good luck on the lawsuit
Old 09-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do they have any sign posted ahead of that break in the road? That tire looks like shit, I would of had a cow, a coronary, and a seizure if that happened to me.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Sorry to hear bout the rims, hope u get some money out of that shit, same thing happened to me except i hit a 4" deep ditch on the freeway going 80 mph and i got a potholed tire too... bent up my control arms and fucked up my alignment, I just paid for it out of pocket. Hope you have better luck than I do!
Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM
'07 November = STI

man.. hopefully everything turns out allright ... maybe there is a lawyer on this board that can tell wether you have a case or not..

anywho, good luck!

Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
Sorry to hear bout the rims, hope u get some money out of that shit, same thing happened to me except i hit a 4" deep ditch on the freeway going 80 mph and i got a potholed tire too... bent up my control arms and fucked up my alignment, I just paid for it out of pocket. Hope you have better luck than I do!
ouch
Old 09-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
good luck with the lawsuit. several streets in my city are getting ripped up and repaved. i accidently bottomed out entering an unpaved area because i forgot it was there and now i have to take a heatshield off on my cat. i got lucky though. i have heard of many ppl bending rims and destroying tires in town because of unpaved zones.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Who did this in

I can almost feel and hear that bump f-ing up your rims. GL with the suit.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
good luck with the lawsuit. several streets in my city are getting ripped up and repaved. i accidently bottomed out entering an unpaved area because i forgot it was there and now i have to take a heatshield off on my cat, because of the constant rattling.i got lucky though. i have heard of many ppl bending rims and destroying tires in town because of unpaved zones.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
Do they have any sign posted ahead of that break in the road? That tire looks like shit, I would of had a cow, a coronary, and a seizure if that happened to me.
That's just beat
Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 PM
how handsome I am

damn that tire has elephantitis - im so sorry!

GOod luck getting the $$$ out of the city's pockets..

-Alex
Old 09-01-2005, 05:39 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
those are not potholes, those are CREATERS my effin god..... sue them bastards!! and if u win ill feel good and my pain from scraping on ny roads will be better lol
Old 09-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Im No Superman

get thier arse
Old 09-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Thanks for wishin me luck. My dad actually knows the head of the "public works" dept in my city. Public works is who hires the construction companys & contractors and stuff. We sent that guy an email telling him what happened along with some pictures and he email up back saying that the city hires the contractor, but damages are the contractors fault, so he attached an Insurance form to fill out from the contractor. Im afarid once the insurance company see's its over $1000, they will tell me to go screw myself. If thats the case, Im getting a lawyer to send a letter to the insurance company, and if they still say no...then its court.

The problem is those tires are beand new and now ones ruined. The big issue is that because 2 of those wheels are soo bent, the car cannot be aligned, so therefor im ruining my good tires right now while still drivig on them. So, im going to have to go back to the 16" OEM's...except i dont have tires for them...so now i gotta pay outta my own pocket to get rubber for the 16's (plus i'll use them in the winter though)

Oh yea...look @ pict #2 of the intersection...no warning signs and if you look, you can see that the motorcycle is trying to sllooowwwlllyy go over the 5" bump, thus causing everyone elce to stop and it took soo long because everyone had to slow down that the light turned red and people are still in the intersection with their brake lights on...Talk about hazard!!

I've got enough pictures, + written documentation of the damages and cost from the Tires Plus place...so hopefully thats enough evidence and documentaion to prove my case and get my deserved $!!

So now, if i get the $1032 that they owe me, $680 of that is for the wheels. So i'll have $680 to add to my own $ outta pocket to get my wheels i want. + the custom paint which is another $200...soo basically I'll use the $680 they give me and I'll have to shell out another ~$700 from my own money to get my wheels & painted...

I really wasnt planning on spending $700 right now though... This sucks...I guess the custom trunk sub enclosure will have to wait for now...Another thing im actually thinking about doing is buying an extra wheel (5 total) and have one mounted in the trunk w/ the custom enclosure as a "full size spare" to match my others...but if i do that, thats another ~$325 for the extra wheel...

Crraappp...I need to win the lottery. <~ my friend just won $2200 on a scratch off ticket too!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:07 AM
O.G.

dyme that is a bent rim...looks like your tire got a tumor...sucks man...feel bad for ya...well hope things work out for you. one of my rims(stock) is bent too....sucks...but do what you godda do.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

That picture reminds me of mine...

Old 09-02-2005, 03:09 AM

:rolf hey KEN, what kind of tires are those?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:31 AM
Turbo + Sound = Hey-pee

Originally Posted by Acura3.0CL
:rolf hey KEN, what kind of tires are those?
Michelin Pilot Sport's 225/45/17
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by kensukikatayo
That picture reminds me of mine...

:barf:
Old 09-02-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm a Vagiterian.

That makes me want to cry.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:09 PM
sounds fast but its not

this is kinda off the subject.....about that lottery thing....my best friend's parents hit the OHIO lottery for 16 million about 6 years ago...... he hasn't really did shit since

I can't blame him