17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
OOOHHH EMMMM GEEEE I LOVE IT!!!!

What header do u have? Open hood pictures please

Last edited by DaInFaMMuS1; 06-15-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
probably the header we have. i saw him post in VTECkidd's thread. lol
Old 06-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Rockin the D2! Purple Pwr

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
oh my god. wow dude...you just did it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu that stance looks so hard. That's perfection man, don't change a thing...riding dumped has its negatives but keeping it O.G. deserves a level of respect.

I'm riding 9/7 custom rates on my d2's and honestly I wish I woulda stuck with the default rates or something like 13/9....especially since now I'm running into big rear rubbing issues with the 10" widths....sux0rs

but wow man, that looks...so effin perfect... well done
really when did u get custom rates. I thought d2 came with 12/7 ?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
oh my god. wow dude...you just did it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu that stance looks so hard. That's perfection man, don't change a thing...riding dumped has its negatives but keeping it O.G. deserves a level of respect.

I'm riding 9/7 custom rates on my d2's and honestly I wish I woulda stuck with the default rates or something like 13/9....especially since now I'm running into big rear rubbing issues with the 10" widths....sux0rs

but wow man, that looks...so effin perfect... well done
Yeah man, so far I've been sticking to the roads I know and there have't been many problems with scraping.

You have 9k in the front on a 3.0? That sounds like it would be way too soft to be as low as you are. So you just have rubbing issues and no problems with the suspension bottoming out?

Originally Posted by DaInFaMMuS1
OOOHHH EMMMM GEEEE I LOVE IT!!!!

What header do u have? Open hood pictures please
Header is just the generic KiddRacing RMF or Hytech knockoff. Fitment and quality is good, customer service was bad. I'll get engine shots this weekend.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Yeah man, so far I've been sticking to the roads I know and there have't been many problems with scraping.

You have 9k in the front on a 3.0? That sounds like it would be way too soft to be as low as you are. So you just have rubbing issues and no problems with the suspension bottoming out?
It is quite soft, but I put the d2's on full stiff all around...as its not really an option with my ride height and wheel specs. Ideally, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with like 15/10...sounds extreme to many but I'd rather have a super go kart ride than rub all the time out back. Seriously sounds like freddy kreuger is running his hands across the inside of my rear fenders when I go up an incline. Then again, I'm too stubborn to raise the car. Just a part of the game I guess. No bottoming out as far as I can tell. I have about 7 threads left up front and 4 threads left out back on my d2's
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 AM

It is quite soft, but I put the d2's on full stiff all around...as its not really an option with my ride height and wheel specs. Ideally, if I had to do it all over again, I'd go with like 15/10...sounds extreme to many but I'd rather have a super go kart ride than rub all the time out back. Seriously sounds like freddy kreuger is running his hands across the inside of my rear fenders when I go up an incline. Then again, I'm too stubborn to raise the car. Just a part of the game I guess. No bottoming out as far as I can tell. I have about 7 threads left up front and 4 threads left out back on my d2's
time for custom fenders.... boy....
Old 06-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Header is just the generic KiddRacing RMF or Hytech knockoff. Fitment and quality is good, customer service was bad. I'll get engine shots this weekend.
That's the general consensus on the header. Both me and Matt have it. If you drove the car w/o it before, you'd notice the performance gains though. Does its job very well, but the customer service does suck lol.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

FML

Drivers side front wheel doesn't hold air. Been filling it up every morning at 5:30 and then again in the parking lot at work before I head home. Now today, I find that the passenger side front was completely flat as I was leaving work. When I got home I filled it again and checked it 30 mins later and it's flat again. So we're back to the stockies

It sounds like it's leaking where the wheel splits. I should have resealed them before getting the tires mounted. It might be from the metal valve stems since I've read that they're notorious for leaking, but either way the tires needs to come off.

That's the general consensus on the header. Both me and Matt have it. If you drove the car w/o it before, you'd notice the performance gains though. Does its job very well, but the customer service does suck lol.
The dude puts on a good front, acting like the headers are in stock and ready to ship. Took over a month to get mine, but it's a nice piece. No leaks and the flange is stainless. I like it's brushed stainless instead of polished.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:19 AM

FML

Drivers side front wheel doesn't hold air. Been filling it up every morning at 5:30 and then again in the parking lot at work before I head home. Now today, I find that the passenger side front was completely flat as I was leaving work. When I got home I filled it again and checked it 30 mins later and it's flat again. So we're back to the stockies

It sounds like it's leaking where the wheel splits. I should have resealed them before getting the tires mounted. It might be from the metal valve stems since I've read that they're notorious for leaking, but either way the tires needs to come off.
you know it might not be the bolts... check the tire when they put it on their could be bubble on the sidewall. And just try to tighten the bolts and see if that makes a differences? I would do that before resealing it...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Don't think it's the bolts, I believe it's where the lip and barrel come together. I didn't add any extra silicone to what was already there. The tires look ok, I gave them a once over when they were removed. It might be the valve stems since the metal ones don't seem to seal as nicely as the rubber kind. I saw these metal sleeves on Amazon that slide over the rubber valve stems to give them the metal look. I might pick up a set of those.

Last edited by Blazin Si; 06-18-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,047 Posts
sounds like the center needs sealed, sucks bro
Old 06-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

It was the centers. I took the wheels to Discount Tire and they submerged them in their dunk tank. One of the wheels was leaking in like 12 spots. The other wasn't nearly as bad. Had them remove the tires and they scuffed the hell out of the lips.

When I got home, I sealed the wheels again with silicone. I don't know which type of silicone you're supposed to use. Since wheels get hot, would I need a type of silicone that won't get soft under typical driving conditions?

Here's some photos I forgot to post.

Yes, that is a cat on a leash.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Senior Moderator

CAI, wing, and a wiretuck and this thing would be so complete.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I might piece together a SRI from one of my old Civic intakes. The VTEC crossover is silent with the factory intake.

The OEM wing looks good, but I like the car more without it. You lose the sloping trunk which gives the CL it character.

You do the wire tuck first and post up a DIY and I'll follow. This car looks like it would be a nightmare to wire tuck. lol I'm not even sure what you could do with the ABS. It's a tough thing to hide and is an eyesore when everything else is tucked.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 AM

can you explain what happen to the center? i'm kinda confused? which part is the center?

gl finding a good sealant but find one that's waterproof and high quality
Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i just came all over my screen when i saw your car too fresh bro
Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can't get over this car dude! soo clean! did you take out your fender liners yet?
Old 06-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

I might piece together a SRI from one of my old Civic intakes. The VTEC crossover is silent with the factory intake.

The OEM wing looks good, but I like the car more without it. You lose the sloping trunk which gives the CL it character.

You do the wire tuck first and post up a DIY and I'll follow. This car looks like it would be a nightmare to wire tuck. lol I'm not even sure what you could do with the ABS. It's a tough thing to hide and is an eyesore when everything else is tucked.
Mine is already done bro lol

The tuck honestly took longer than the swap itself, and wasn't too much fun. Mine is not completely tucked, but it does look cleaner and makes it easier to work in the engine bay to me.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:02 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

that's just effin gorgeous man...seriously. And when you pop your hood, I get even more jealous. sick sick sick

sorry to hear about the leaking issue Yeah happens often when people disassemble/reassemble 3 piece'ers...I had quite a few mini leaks from my bolts not being tightened to spec when I re-24k plated them.

CCW has a good re-assembly vid...same general principles...regular weatherproof outdoor caulk works fine...you just have to apply it so that you make a complete seal. Also make sure to re-install your bolts in a cross-thread pattern (just like lugnuts), so that you don't run the risk of distorting the wheel face from too much pressure on one side.

Good luck bruh...I'm about to have to go through this hell too in a few weeks when I take the wisers apart to have the lips sent for re-finishing
Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by switchfootvz
can you explain what happen to the center? i'm kinda confused? which part is the center?

gl finding a good sealant but find one that's waterproof and high quality
It wasn't so much the center of the wheel, but where the barrel and lip come together. There was already old silicone holding them together, but it wasn't smeared across the gap. It was a just a bead and I was dumb enough to assume that it was good enough for the previous owner, so I let it be.

I kinda went a little overboard with the silicone, but I want to make sure I don't have to remove the tires again. The d-bag at discount tire doesn't care how time you put into polishing the wheels. They pull the tire off like just like they do on any steel wheel that comes through the store. After coating the wheels with Zoopseal, I have no interest in removing the scratches they left.

Mine is already done bro lol

The tuck honestly took longer than the swap itself, and wasn't too much fun. Mine is not completely tucked, but it does look cleaner and makes it easier to work in the engine bay to me.
Damn, I didn't know that. That does look super clean. Maybe if I find some time, I'll get started on it.

sorry to hear about the leaking issue Yeah happens often when people disassemble/reassemble 3 piece'ers...I had quite a few mini leaks from my bolts not being tightened to spec when I re-24k plated them.

CCW has a good re-assembly vid...same general principles...regular weatherproof outdoor caulk works fine...you just have to apply it so that you make a complete seal. Also make sure to re-install your bolts in a cross-thread pattern (just like lugnuts), so that you don't run the risk of distorting the wheel face from too much pressure on one side.

Good luck bruh...I'm about to have to go through this hell too in a few weeks when I take the wisers apart to have the lips sent for re-finishing
I totally did not tighten the bolts in a cross pattern. Just didn't think about it at the time. I never took the wheels completely apart. Only the centers were removed.

The silicone I used is much harder than the stuff that was already on there. Looks like I have to wait till later this week to get the tires remounted and find out if there are any more leaks. Discount Tire was closed when I stopped by earlier today.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 AM

It wasn't so much the center of the wheel, but where the barrel and lip come together. There was already old silicone holding them together, but it wasn't smeared across the gap. It was a just a bead and I was dumb enough to assume that it was good enough for the previous owner, so I let it be.

I kinda went a little overboard with the silicone, but I want to make sure I don't have to remove the tires again. The d-bag at discount tire doesn't care how time you put into polishing the wheels. They pull the tire off like just like they do on any steel wheel that comes through the store. After coating the wheels with Zoopseal, I have no interest in removing the scratches they left.

oh, shiz man.... you should have checked them out before putting the wheel on.... all your hard work down the drain...

hey better to go overboard with the silicone. Are you going to do the other wheels.

Man how can you take it to a place like discount tires? I'm really anal with my rims when i take it to shops.... I've find like two good shops who can do it without jacking the rim. You should ask the shop when they put the rim back on if they have a lip plastic cover while putting on the tire. My bro had that done to his rim.

but still your car looks hot... i'm so jealous atm with you, flip, and mitch.

My wheels status sucks... i need my fourth set of rims..... but i got some plans for the car....
Old 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

just a tip: if you ever take your wheels to a shop to get mounted/dismounted...cover up the lips entirely with a few layers of blue painters tape. it'll either protect it from damage if the workers are sloppy, but most likely when they see the tape they'll get the message to be careful
Old 06-21-2010, 05:12 PM

just a tip: if you ever take your wheels to a shop to get mounted/dismounted...cover up the lips entirely with a few layers of blue painters tape. it'll either protect it from damage if the workers are sloppy, but most likely when they see the tape they'll get the message to be careful
true that....
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by switchfootvz
oh, shiz man.... you should have checked them out before putting the wheel on.... all your hard work down the drain...

hey better to go overboard with the silicone. Are you going to do the other wheels.

Man how can you take it to a place like discount tires? I'm really anal with my rims when i take it to shops.... I've find like two good shops who can do it without jacking the rim. You should ask the shop when they put the rim back on if they have a lip plastic cover while putting on the tire. My bro had that done to his rim.

but still your car looks hot... i'm so jealous atm with you, flip, and mitch.

My wheels status sucks... i need my fourth set of rims..... but i got some plans for the car....
I'm not gonna sweat it. These are daily driver wheels, so they're going to get their scratches. After all the work I put into polishing them, I seem to forget that. I started this thread looking for a cheap beater wheel till flip saved me.

Discount Tire was convenient since I ordered another 2 tires from a local store. I'm not originally from NC, and I don't hang out at the meets or go to car shows. There probably are better, privately owned tire shops in the area. I've yet to find them.

BTW, your Emotion's are pretty badass. One of the very few forged wheels in this section of Azine. I'd love to have a set of those.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that when the tires get mounted. Just about everything I learned about wheels came from you. lol
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 AM

I'm not gonna sweat it. These are daily driver wheels, so they're going to get their scratches. After all the work I put into polishing them, I seem to forget that. I started this thread looking for a cheap beater wheel till flip saved me.

Discount Tire was convenient since I ordered another 2 tires from a local store. I'm not originally from NC, and I don't hang out at the meets or go to car shows. There probably are better, privately owned tire shops in the area. I've yet to find them.

BTW, your Emotion's are pretty badass. One of the very few forged wheels in this section of Azine. I'd love to have a set of those.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely do that when the tires get mounted. Just about everything I learned about wheels came from you. lol
ya, check them out... i've had my share of horrible shops ruining my rims. Firestone i Hate you..... lol

lol, funny that you say that cause i've had a lot of people think they are works... which is even funnier since i do have the work emotion lug nuts....

these wheels are actually 5zigen imperio m05 really old school which weigh about 19lbs.... and which are cast and spun... but they are really well designed...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Suzuka Master

swap looks awesome. i actually like the look with the stock intake. i think a JDM Prelude Type-S airbox would look awesome.

that sucks to hear about your tires and VTEC kidd's service. i had no problem with them at all.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

good stuff man, can't wait to see em remounted, and hopefully no leaks this time!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

nice radiator blazin. i have the same one. i wish the top and bottom tanks were aluminum. its kind of misleading on the website.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
i like acura

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
soooo clean. that bay is beautiful.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

i love our header but it looks like dick after a while. thats why i hate stainless steel headers. idk what i could do to change the look.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Tonight I stripped the silicone. This stuff didn't hold as well as I had expected. Looks like you're supposed to use a small bead and then smooth it out. Using too much is what causes leaks. I'll make a few stops this weekend and find a better sealant.

Originally Posted by 732xghost
i love our header but it looks like dick after a while. thats why i hate stainless steel headers. idk what i could do to change the look.
Brushed stainless is going to look like hell. If it's polished stainless, you can continue to polish it. I have one on my Civic and whenever it starts looking bad, I just remove the header and wet sand it. It always comes back looking like chrome and will go through the same gold/blue/purple phases that it did when it was new.

This header is 7 years old.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1277255686
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

werd

also remember to scuff up the lip and edge where the silicone is going to be applied with something like 400 gritt sandpaper to make sure it adheres well
Old 06-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Suzuka Master

that header looks great. i might have to do that when i find the time.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Word of advise to anyone sealing their wheels with silicone. There's a "USE BY" date somewhere on the cartridge. Be sure to check it out before purchasing. After 3 days of wet silicone, I finally looked into it and discovered this information.

The GE Silicone II cartridge I purchased from Lowes was 6 months out of date.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

so how far down did you put the coilovers? i was also thinking about running the same 40 series up front and 45 series in the rear.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blazin si u shud run a velocity stack on ur cl!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 732xghost
so how far down did you put the coilovers? i was also thinking about running the same 40 series up front and 45 series in the rear.
The rears currently have something like 4 or 5 threads left. The fronts can still probably go another 1.5". When the front tires wear out, I'm switching to a 45 series. The car has positive rake while the front wheels have about 1/8" gap and the rears are tucking by about 1/8".

In the photo below, there were a few threads left and the header has less than an inch of clearance.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
cant believe i've missed this thread...car looks great blazin! really diggin the rims and the stance. whats with the PA plates tho, arent you in charlotte?
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by South Jersey CL
cant believe i've missed this thread...car looks great blazin! really diggin the rims and the stance. whats with the PA plates tho, arent you in charlotte?
I'm lazy.

Actually, I just took the driving test last week. So the new plates and drivers license will be here soon.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

it looks great man. i have about the same header clearence, which sucks.

any lower would be insanity.

Quick Reply: 17" Wheels... I'm Dying Here...