What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy What to do?

I took 98 2.3 CL to the dealer this morning to get it serviced, as I always do. This time my engine light was on. Came on because of low oil and Vtec malfunction. Fixed, fine. But the shop called and told me I have two more problems.

The first, my exhaust manifold is cracked. He qouted me $424. The second, which I suspected, was a cracked radiator tank, which will cost $578. Both very expensive and I don't think I can fix both right now, although I feel I SHOULD fix both.

If I could only fix one, which would it be? My guess would be radiator. My manifold isn't making any ugly noises yet and I certainly do not want my car overheating.

Should I take my car to another shop for cheaper repairs? I've always had the dealer work on my car.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:08 PM
~[τΏτ]~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are due for an emissions test soon, then you need to get the exhaust manifold replaced first. If the radiator is leaking, then you need to get that fixed first. Both of those parts with their associated gaskets are about $250 each if you were pick them up from a dealership.

You should be able to take your car to any respectable shop with ASE certified technicians and have this fixed without an issue. These are trivial repairs to them. Remember that dealer doesn't necessarily mean better. It really depends on the technician's experience.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Nakamichi, but make sure no matter what they stand behind their work. I took the car into Pohanka around here and they messed it up, but they were glad to fix any/all problems including replacing parts at no cost to me, instead of trying to pawn it off as a seperate issue requiring more $$.

You can pick up a radiator online and it shouldn't be that hard to install provided you have a place ot put your old coolant (ie not the sewer). You can get the radiator part for prolly under 120 shipped.

The exhaust manifold, you will have to determine if it is the top or the bottom portion. You could easily replace your exhaust manifold (header) with an aftermarket install.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
do it yourself...save yourself a load of money..
Old 05-25-2006, 07:47 PM
Red 2019 RDX ASPEC

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverCL97
do it yourself...save yourself a load of money..
If were mechanically inclined and had a place to do the work I would. But I'm not and I don't so I can't. Oh well.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 AM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by MCBfly
If were mechanically inclined and had a place to do the work I would. But I'm not and I don't so I can't. Oh well.
what u can do is buy the parts yourself on ebay or other online sources.. then get it installed at a shop.. it'll definitely save u atleast 30%.. cause they overcharge u for the parts also.. not just the labor
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
CLeanest in its CLass

Originally Posted by MCBfly
I took 98 2.3 CL to the dealer this morning to get it serviced, as I always do. This time my engine light was on. Came on because of low oil and Vtec malfunction. Fixed, fine. But the shop called and told me I have two more problems.

The first, my exhaust manifold is cracked. He qouted me $424. The second, which I suspected, was a cracked radiator tank, which will cost $578. Both very expensive and I don't think I can fix both right now, although I feel I SHOULD fix both.

If I could only fix one, which would it be? My guess would be radiator. My manifold isn't making any ugly noises yet and I certainly do not want my car overheating.

Should I take my car to another shop for cheaper repairs? I've always had the dealer work on my car.
i replaced my radiator and the part alone was $100. labor rates vary by shop but that radiator should only be about 1 to 1 1/2 hours of labor. as far as the manifold. as long as the bolts dont break id say about 2 hours labor. if they break then your looking at a lot more monies. im a technician and i had my rad. in and out in under an hour with a v-6 four bangers are way roomier to work with. find out what theyre labor rate is and how many hours theyre charging you. at my dealership we do $95/hour. then you can see if its worth it. and to the comment of dealerships arent always better. they usually are. cause they only deal with that make and have all factory parts that fit without a hitch. sometimes going to a shadetree mechanic because its cheaper ends up costing you more. thats my
Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 AM
Instructor

I bought a new koyo radiator off ebay for $100 and installed it myself...pretty easy to install, it took about 1 hour. You said the dealer is charging $578 dollars for a new radiator...you should ask them does it come with a blow job...that is ridiculous!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed mine. it was easy. make sure you bleed the system. do a search on how to bleed the coolant system. you can find a new header cheap on this site or on ebay or on av6 or at a junk yard. radiation should be on ebay as well