Transmission slips, but only when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission slips, but only when hot?

Hello, I have a 99 CL 3.0 with 147,000 miles on it. Sometimes the transmission slips as it shifts, or it hangs for a few seconds when I put it in drive. This only happens after I've been driving it for a while.

Some days it doesn't happen at all. Yesterday after driving it for 70 miles it started doing it bad. Like the car was in neutral, and I had to let off the gas for it to shift, or just keep pressing on the accelerator until it finally caught. After about 10 minutes of that, the problem went away.

So I'm trying to figure out what to do. Mechanic says the tranny's going and I'll need a rebuild, but why would it work fine sometimes? Problem goes away after a bit. Mechanic also said it could be the pressure switch.

I'm planning on changing the fluid (last done at 107) and putting a bottle of Lucas in.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas about the problem? Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would look into getting your shift solenoids and torque convertor solenoids replaced. However, if one of your gears is shot, this won't help and you'll have to replace the whole transmission. I had similar issues with the transmission flaring up and replaced the solenoids. It's doing okay now. Does it slip while it's already in gear or only when changing from one gear to another?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
4th Gear

Hi, thanks for the reply. It only slips as it shifts (and by slip I mean it's as if it's in neutral for a second or two), once it's in gear it stays there. And then it will go away. Some days it doesn't even do it. I would think if a gear was shot, it wouldn't work fine most of the time, right? How can you tell if it's the solenoids?
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyyl
Hi, thanks for the reply. It only slips as it shifts (and by slip I mean it's as if it's in neutral for a second or two), once it's in gear it stays there. And then it will go away. Some days it doesn't even do it. I would think if a gear was shot, it wouldn't work fine most of the time, right? How can you tell if it's the solenoids?
I would say that you can't tell for sure if it's the solenoids without replacing them. Based on my experience though, it's worth considering it. Replacing them fixed my transmission issues, at least for now. My symptoms were also heat related and although my car wasn't quite going into neutral between shifts, it was flaring up (by this I mean there was significant hesitation, the revs would climb a bit and it would then bang into the next gear). I have a post on here that tells about my experience. Search in Problems and Fixes for 99 3.0 CL Transmission Slipping or something similar and you should find it. I hope that helps.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear

01 mdx transmission slips

01 mdx trans slip when hot
Believe the Transmission fluid temp sensor is going out. I replaced bot 3rd and 4th clutch pressure switchs and wasn't it. I also read where the immobilizer can cause problems if it's older. Good luck.