Several issues with 97 2.2CL

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Several issues with 97 2.2CL

I have a few issues that you guys might be able to help me out with

First issue is from the cooling/heating system. When it's on, I hear what sounds like birds chirping from the passenger side and it sounds like it's the fan that's behind/under the glove compartment. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I fix it? Winter is coming and I'll be running the system all of the time. I don't need birds with me everywhere I go.

Second issue is a four-wire plug which is hanging from under the glove compartment. The plug at the end of it is blue but I couldn't find where it plugs into. Any idea where it goes and what it belongs to?

Third issue is more of a question. When the ignition is set to the second position so the lights turn on such as SRS, etc. around the tach is the ABS light supposed to turn on as well? If it is, any idea why mine does not? And if not, how do I check to make sure my ABS is enabled?

Thanks!!
Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Instructor

#1 I have the same issue mate, i've never taken the time to look into it so im hoping someone else can give you some insight as to what it is. My idea would be to see if you can apply pressure/remove pressure (i applied) to any section of the outlet, or fan and stop the noise. I believe that i tried this once and it worked until i got my hand off of the spot. If that works, atleast we know a general section, and that something has come loose and is touching the fan.
Once we have this, maybe someone who knows a lot more about what is where, can help you easier.

#2 Sorry mate i have no idea

#3 If i remember right the ABS light does come on... if yours isnt on pull the cluster out and check if the bulb is blown. Replace the bulb and you should be good But wait until someone else can give confirmation on i being on, because i don't remember too well, but im 70% sure it should be on
Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-cl-problems-fixes-71/fan-problem-696050/
^here's a thread i made about my blower motor being noisy, the noise would come and go, but it is not the squeeky bird chirping noise you guys describe, but probably would be the same kinda fault if you only hear this sound when the fan is turned on for either hot or cold...
let me know if you have any questions about anything i've said or anything in my thread
Old 10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Wow thanks for the link I'll give that DIY a try when I get a chance.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dominicanwiz
I have a few issues that you guys might be able to help me out with

First issue is from the cooling/heating system. When it's on, I hear what sounds like birds chirping from the passenger side and it sounds like it's the fan that's behind/under the glove compartment. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I fix it? Winter is coming and I'll be running the system all of the time. I don't need birds with me everywhere I go.

Second issue is a four-wire plug which is hanging from under the glove compartment. The plug at the end of it is blue but I couldn't find where it plugs into. Any idea where it goes and what it belongs to?

Third issue is more of a question. When the ignition is set to the second position so the lights turn on such as SRS, etc. around the tach is the ABS light supposed to turn on as well? If it is, any idea why mine does not? And if not, how do I check to make sure my ABS is enabled?

Thanks!!
#2: I had to actually get off my but for this one. I went out to my car (also a 97 2.2CL) and got under the glove box. All i could see under there was the two wire blue SCS connector. And that little thing just plugs into a fake plug under the glove box. its right next to an orange 6 wire plug. you'll see it once you look under there.

#3: If you turn the key to the on position the ABS light should come on for a little bit while the ABS system performs the check. If yours is not coming on you might have a fuse that is blown and not getting power to the bulb or even simpler the bulb is probably just blown. If the ABS was not functioning properly the light would come on and set an ABS code to tell you so.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Cruisin'

I saw the fake plug under there and the loose plug actually fits into it, but I figured since it was fake that it wasn't meant to plug into that.
Why does it plug into a fake plug anyways?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cuz that little blue plug is whats called the Sevice Check Connector. Thats what is used to pull things like ABS codes and Trannsmission codes and even CEL codes the old fashion way. You plug the service checker into that or use a paper clip to cross the wires and if the ABS, Tranny, or ECU has any codes stored it will display them on the dash by "blinking" out the codes. If you have ABS codes the ABS light will blink, if you have Tranny codes the D4 light will blink and if you have CEL (Check Engine Light) codes the CEL will blink. A long explanation for a simple thing. lol
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Cruisin'

Ah so that's what that tiny plug is for. Guess I'll just tuck back under the glove compartment if it doesn't stay in its fake plug. Thanks for the info!

You wouldn't happen to have the repair manual for the car would you? I would like the page(s) that show all of the fuses and also the location of the factory amp since I don't see it near the jack in the trunk.