Problem with car not starting... please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem with car not starting... please help!

Hello people, I have an 05 TL and have been having a problem similar to Tame Ladies that is listed below. The only difference is that I can bypass the ignition by running a jumper wire directly from my battery to the starter while the key is in the ignition (II) position and it will fire right up. This leads me to believe that it could be a problem with the ingnition switch or the nuetral safety switch. Does anyone have any helpful tips that would help me troubleshoot this problem, or possibly a wiring schematic for the ignition or nuetral safety switch? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!!!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread 03-07-2009, 7:26 PM #1 Tame Ladies

Trader Rating: (0)

Car Won't start help please 2005 TL
Hello you wonderful people. So I drive around all day great no problem then I park at grocery store. I come out of grocery store car doesn't start. Lights radio all turn on fine. We try to give it a jump but no ignition start. When I put in key I can get light radio, etc but no ignition sound on turn. You advice is greatly appreciated.
Tame LadiesView Public ProfileFind More Posts by Tame LadiesAdd Tame Ladies to Your Contacts

03-07-2009, 7:47 PM #2 csmeance

do you hear a rapid clicking noise? Also did you recently use the bluetooth system?

2007 MDX Sport/Entertainment - NGM/Taupe
l Crossbars + Roof Rails l Front + Rear Garnish l Auto Day-Night Mirror l All Season Mats l Zaino'ed Always l

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone
lZaino'ed Always l
csmeanceView Public ProfileFind More Posts by csmeanceAdd csmeance to Your Contacts

03-07-2009, 8:03 PM #3 Tame Ladies

no bloothoth
no bloothooth and I don't hear anything when I turn key maybe a regular click. My uncle said use remote and open close like 3 times maybe it locked against theft and to reset computer I will try this thanks
Tame LadiesView Public ProfileFind More Posts by Tame LadiesAdd Tame Ladies to Your Contacts

03-07-2009, 8:29 PM #4 Turbonut

It's in Park correct? Last week a fellow couldn't start his Accord as I watched from inside the restaurant, then he tried jumpers, no go. I went outside and even with jumpers, no sound and lights didn't flicker. Either starter, neutral safety switch, or not in Park. Looked inside and he had left it in drive. Threw it into Park and away he went.

If in Park and no sound when jumpers connected, either starter, neutral safety switch, or connections at battery bad.
TurbonutView Public ProfileFind More Posts by TurbonutAdd Turbonut to Your Contacts

03-07-2009, 8:49 PM #5 Tame Ladies

what is neutral safety switch I will search but what is that

03-07-2009, 10:23 PM #6 Tame Ladies

engine immobilized
one last question is it possible I immobilized the ignition. When I turn key I do see the antitheft red light blink once. If I accidentaly immobilized it where do I find info on how to removilize it. I did not get manual when I bought it. Thanks.

03-07-2009, 11:10 PM #7 csmeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame Ladies
one last question is it possible I immobilized the ignition. When I turn key I do see the antitheft red light blink once. If I accidentaly immobilized it where do I find info on how to removilize it. I did not get manual when I bought it. Thanks.

IF it is blinking red, that mean the key is not programmed with the vehicle. You will need to have the key programmed by a locksmith with a special computer. Be sure to bring all the keys that you use with the car as they will need to be reprogrammed too.

l Crossbars + Roof Rails l Front + Rear Garnish l Auto Day-Night Mirror l All Season Mats l Zaino'ed Always l

lZaino'ed Always l
csmeanceView Public ProfileFind More Posts by csmeanceAdd csmeance to Your Contacts

03-07-2009, 11:21 PM #8 Tame Ladies

sounds like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance
IF it is blinking red, that mean the key is not programmed with the vehicle. You will need to have the key programmed by a locksmith with a special computer. Be sure to bring all the keys that you use with the car as they will need to be reprogrammed too.

sounds like it cs what's weird is it's the key I always use

03-08-2009, 12:39 AM #9 juanclopez2786

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:

if the key wasnt programmed the "Immobilizer System Indicator" a.k.a. the green key next to the oil light would be blinking. if thats the case go and get ur spare key and drive off.

Check the starter
Check the starter cut relay.
Check the transmission range switch (A/T).
Check the ignition switch
juanclopez2786View Public ProfileFind More Posts by juanclopez2786Add juanclopez2786 to Your Contacts

03-08-2009, 1:09 AM #10 Tame Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanclopez2786
if the key wasnt programmed the "Immobilizer System Indicator" a.k.a. the green key next to the oil light would be blinking. if thats the case go and get ur spare key and drive off.

Check the starter

I'm afraid to report that my spare key did not start car and there is no green blinking light. I turn ignition key no effort by car to start I see red security light blink once on the turn but maybe that even does that when it turns on. I am freaking out. I will go tmrw and try to check other stuff out worse case tow it home and uncle will put code reader on Mon. I am back in my echo

03-10-2009, 8:02 PM #11 Tame Ladies

UPDATE it was the starter
Thank You wonderful people for your help. It was the starter. If you ever find yourself in a situation where battery works, but there is just a light click on the turn, it's the starter. Stepdad's Triple A arived on scene and hit starter and I drove it home. I will finally now have to get AAA) I tried to hit starter, but I noticed AAA hit starter a lot harder and pulled belt.

I felt like I had lost a child. GOSH I LOVE MY 3G TL. My baby is back and now runnin on Mobile 1. I will begin more modding this summer but I could never go too far because losing a transmission would probably give me an attack.
Even when I get my new Beamer my 3g will always be in action.

Cheers to great people on this forum, cheers to the 3G TLS'
Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok well it looks like youve got your answer right there.. the starter seems to have gone with your TL.

youd probably get better info posting this in the appropriate TL subforum though...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:37 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Originally Posted by Dirt80
Hello people, I have an 05 TL and have been having a problem similar to Tame Ladies that is listed below. The only difference is that I can bypass the ignition by running a jumper wire directly from my battery to the starter while the key is in the ignition (II) position and it will fire right up. This leads me to believe that it could be a problem with the ingnition switch or the nuetral safety switch. Does anyone have any helpful tips that would help me troubleshoot this problem, or possibly a wiring schematic for the ignition or nuetral safety switch? Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!!!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread 03-07-2009, 7:26 PM #1 Tame Ladies

Car Won't start help please 2005 TL
Hello you wonderful people. So I drive around all day great no problem then I park at grocery store. I come out of grocery store car doesn't start. Lights radio all turn on fine. We try to give it a jump but no ignition start. When I put in key I can get light radio, etc but no ignition sound on turn. You advice is greatly appreciated.

03-07-2009, 7:47 PM #2 csmeance

do you hear a rapid clicking noise? Also did you recently use the bluetooth system?

lZaino'ed Always l

03-07-2009, 8:03 PM #3 Tame Ladies

no bloothoth
no bloothooth and I don't hear anything when I turn key maybe a regular click. My uncle said use remote and open close like 3 times maybe it locked against theft and to reset computer I will try this thanks

03-07-2009, 8:29 PM #4 Turbonut

It's in Park correct? Last week a fellow couldn't start his Accord as I watched from inside the restaurant, then he tried jumpers, no go. I went outside and even with jumpers, no sound and lights didn't flicker. Either starter, neutral safety switch, or not in Park. Looked inside and he had left it in drive. Threw it into Park and away he went.

If in Park and no sound when jumpers connected, either starter, neutral safety switch, or connections at battery bad.
TurbonutView Public ProfileFind More Posts by TurbonutAdd Turbonut to Your Contacts

03-07-2009, 8:49 PM #5 Tame Ladies

what is neutral safety switch I will search but what is that

03-07-2009, 10:23 PM #6 Tame Ladies

engine immobilized

03-07-2009, 11:10 PM #7 csmeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame Ladies

lZaino'ed Always l

03-07-2009, 11:21 PM #8 Tame Ladies

sounds like it
Quote:

sounds like it cs what's weird is it's the key I always use

03-08-2009, 12:39 AM #9 juanclopez2786

Trader Rating: (1)

Quote:

Check the starter
juanclopez2786View Public ProfileFind More Posts by juanclopez2786Add juanclopez2786 to Your Contacts

03-08-2009, 1:09 AM #10 Tame Ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanclopez2786

Check the starter

I'm afraid to report that my spare key did not start car and there is no green blinking light. I turn ignition key no effort by car to start I see red security light blink once on the turn but maybe that even does that when it turns on. I am freaking out. I will go tmrw and try to check other stuff out worse case tow it home and uncle will put code reader on Mon. I am back in my echo

03-10-2009, 8:02 PM #11 Tame Ladies

UPDATE it was the starter
Thank You wonderful people for your help. It was the starter. If you ever find yourself in a situation where battery works, but there is just a light click on the turn, it's the starter. Stepdad's Triple A arived on scene and hit starter and I drove it home. I will finally now have to get AAA) I tried to hit starter, but I noticed AAA hit starter a lot harder and pulled belt.

I felt like I had lost a child. GOSH I LOVE MY 3G TL. My baby is back and now runnin on Mobile 1. I will begin more modding this summer but I could never go too far because losing a transmission would probably give me an attack.
Even when I get my new Beamer my 3g will always be in action.

Cheers to great people on this forum, cheers to the 3G TLS'