Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Acura's All Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!

Ok I really dont know how to explain the problem. But here goes. Sometimes when I start the car it wants to idle really low, causing it to shake, to disable it from doing so, I can revv it up a few times and it stops. However in hard acceleration, the car is really hesitant it will revv up and then drop down and revv back up almost like it cant get power. In actuallity it will thrust forward, act startled and then flyyyyy. Everyone tells me that it is the fuel injectors or fuel filter. Being Im 17 and dont make that much I want a for sure answer before wasting what little money I have. The only modifications done to me 97 CL 3.0 are a AEM short ram intake... Im hoping that someone has had the same problem and can give me a direct answer. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Old 11-10-2008, 12:10 PM
worki o w projct..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be various things, i had a similar issue in another car and it ended up being the oxygen sensor. I can't say that's your issue for certain though. sorry i can't be of more help. hopefully this shines some sort of light though
Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
yeah, it could almost be anything, I had this problem with a toyota and it ended up costing me $220 just to diagnose that it was a distributor component. I personally would take it to a mechanic you trust and not the stealership. Just take it somewhere that has good diagnostic equipment, preferably someone that wont take you for all you're worth. I actually just set up an appointment with my mechanic for an EGR issue, I know it would take me a whole day to figure out what they can diagnose in an hour or less. Most likely will cost $60-100 to diagnose and than, decide what you want to do. If you're not handy have them fix it, but whatever you do, tell them you want them to call before they do anything.
-------
not to drag this out, but when I went to toyota, they had the car two days and the second day they call and say, oh it's your distributor, I say well what componet...oh, well we cant tell, but you need to change it, we installed a new one and the car worked great, so we put back your old one and what would you like us to do, the part costs $300 and it'll cost $600 to install......wait,you put it in and it worked, so took it out and than told me just so you can charge me for putting it in again? long sotry short, ordered the part myself, brought it to my mechanic and had the whole job done for $230 +$200 for toyota to diagnose.... be wary.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A cheap thing you can try first is cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (IAVC). If you are not sure how you can google it, team-integra has a decent write up. Its worth a shot
Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 PM
¿baCon?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Myxomatosis
yeah, it could almost be anything, I had this problem with a toyota and it ended up costing me $220 just to diagnose that it was a distributor component. I personally would take it to a mechanic you trust and not the stealership. Just take it somewhere that has good diagnostic equipment, preferably someone that wont take you for all you're worth. I actually just set up an appointment with my mechanic for an EGR issue, I know it would take me a whole day to figure out what they can diagnose in an hour or less. Most likely will cost $60-100 to diagnose and than, decide what you want to do. If you're not handy have them fix it, but whatever you do, tell them you want them to call before they do anything.
-------
not to drag this out, but when I went to toyota, they had the car two days and the second day they call and say, oh it's your distributor, I say well what componet...oh, well we cant tell, but you need to change it, we installed a new one and the car worked great, so we put back your old one and what would you like us to do, the part costs $300 and it'll cost $600 to install......wait,you put it in and it worked, so took it out and than told me just so you can charge me for putting it in again? long sotry short, ordered the part myself, brought it to my mechanic and had the whole job done for $230 +$200 for toyota to diagnose.... be wary.

wow, i had the same thing on my tundra.... took them forever to diagnose the problem, then they call and say the part wont be in for 2 days and I'm still w/o a car... acura gave me a loaner from day one..... +1 for acura.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Acura's All Day

Odd U say that

Originally Posted by bRunCL
A cheap thing you can try first is cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve (IAVC). If you are not sure how you can google it, team-integra has a decent write up. Its worth a shot

When I bought the car 4 months ago from my mom, the IAVC went bad, causing the car to have a mind of its own, I cleaned it thoroughly and it ran great. Therefore I didnt think it could be that again because, the symptoms are totally different, I hope and pray that you are right because, Im looking for a simple, and inexpensive fix. My mom keeps telling me, "I dont understand why you have to have a $30,000.00 car, that isnt affordable to you". I love my damn car!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
worki o w projct..

hope it's a minor repair bro, i know its gotta suck. Just be careful and try to find a shop that's legit and doesn't try to dig in your pockets, sadly it's hard finding a good shop now days
Old 11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BadassAcuraCl
have a $30,000.00 car, that isnt affordable to you". I love my damn car!!!
When did our cars become $30,000 cars?

Also, my car does the same thing (at idle only)... seems to happen when it's low on fuel which makes me think its the fuel filter.

Last edited by DoubleSh0t; 11-10-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

I'm no mechanic, but it sure sounds like a fuel issue
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 PM
cool breeze

check your spark.
make sure the the plugs/plug wires and cap/rotor are in good condtion and not all messed up.