engine shuts off after start up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:11 AM
new guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation engine shuts off after start up?

Guys I need your help, I have a 98 CL 3.0 auto and it was running perfectly fine almost two years but...until the other day, i went to the mall for one hour, came back and the car wouldn't start. My lights, radio, even heater blow would still work though. It cranks over but didn't start. I waited 5 mins and restarted the engine, that time it runs but when i let it idle, it would wanna die out as it barely idled at 1000rpm. So I drove it home while keeping my idling RPM steady by keeping my foot on the gas pedal in park position in red lights. When I ot home, I turned the engine off, restart and it would idle and stay on fine. So I went to work, and drove home fine without any of those problems.

The next morning, that problem would occur again. This time I would have to gently press on the gas while turning the key over to get the engine running, but if I let go off the gas pedal, the engine shuts off. I restart it with a press on the gas pedal but as soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal, it would want to die out. So as long as I keep my foot on the gas pedal, getting it up at a minimum of 2000 rpm, the engine would keep running. Funny thing is I'm not getting any check engine lights. I thought it was a weak battery so I tried on my spare new battery, same problem would occur. Car will only start when I turn the key and press on the gas pedal at the same time. Car will only stay on if I keep my foot on the gas pedal at above 1500 rpm, otherwise...shuts off. I have a quarter tank of fuel. Does this sound like an electrical or fuel problem? thanks
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Problem suggests a possible fuel delivery issue. This could be a nearly blocked fuel filter, failing fuel pump, or possibly an intemittent Main Fuel Relay (MFR). MFR's have caused starting problems for many Hondas and Acuras.

When you have a no-start condition, listen carefully for fuel pump to come for 2-3 secs on when keyswitch is turned to ON. You may have to get someone to listen w/ fuel cap off to be sure in a noisy environment. If no fuel pump noise, the MFR is a likely candidate for your problem. If you hear fuel pump, the problem is more likely fuel filter, or possibly failing fuel pump (less likely as Acura/Honda pumps are very reliable).

A fuel pressure check is required to confirm blocked fuel filter or sub-par fuel pump. Most simply replace fuel filter since it's relatively cheap to see if that fixes the problem. It's a bitch to check fuel pressure requiring a special banjo bolt adapter.

good luck
Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 PM
new guy

thanks for the response....i do hear the fuel pump turning on when turning the key to the "ON" position....there was one time, maybe about a month and half ago that I accidentally drove the car around with barely any gas at all. The car wouldn't start...and when I able to make it...i drove and suck up every ounce left until it finally shut off....had to call a friend with an aiding gas tank...

Could it be any other possible problem?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Read the entire post. The MFR is only one possible fuel delivery fault. Low fuel pressure would cause similar symptoms. However, this type of problem is difficult to pinpoint. You will have to either perform some tests or replace some parts.

good luck
Old 01-23-2007, 03:05 AM
new guy

problem was fixed...all i did was adjusted the idle screw on the t/b...i open it up all the way...car started fine but idle a bit high at complete warm up so i drove around just to get it wide open...then screw it back to the suggested idling rpm..car is now fine...weird.