car randomly shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
me likes whats i's sees

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car randomly shuts off

so my car will randomly shut off, it bucks alittle but then either shuts off or runs fine for a little while. some days i does it and other days it wolnt. no idea what the problem is. i though it was the fuel filter being really dirty but i replaced it( btw it took four days and finaily we had to cut the fuel line to get it out and the nut holding it on was super seized on)but i still does it

its a 97 2.2 with 143K miles
do you need any more info
Old 01-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
When no-start occurs, listen carefully when you turn keyswitch to ON. You should hear a couple of clicks from under the dash and light whirring of electric fuel pump in fuel tank (quiet needed to hear). If nothing but silence, you probably have an intermittent main fuel relay (MFR).

MFR under the dash on the drivers side inside the steering wheel. Remove lower dash cover, knee bolster (steel X-brace) and access the relay haning on a metal bracket. Not easy to spot or remove. Google "honda main fuel relay" for some guidance.

If you hear the MFR and fuel pump, you probably have good fuel pressure and problem is electrical. Prime suspect is keyswitch contacts. If you notice the dash lights failing to come on when keyswitch is turned to ON, this is the problem. A new keyswitch assy ($30) and 1 hr diy replacement job. You can google "honda keyswitch replacement" for some good help and pics.

good luck
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
me likes whats i's sees

thanks
but it does not do it when i start my car it does it when im driving

i dont think its the key assembley b/c all the lights come on when i turn the key
it might be the MFR i have to check on that one

would that be a problem of it shuting off while im driving or only when im starting the car?

thanks
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Instructor

had a similar problem with my CL after having some head work done. I thought my trans was going because of the way it would jerk before dying. Turned out it was a loose ground wire the stupid mechanic didnt tighten up when he put my motor back together. It was a pretty serious mees of wires, and the one that was untightened was supposed to hook to the under side of the intake manifold. You might check all of your grounding connections. Basically it is like the car loses all electrical power to the computer and it shuts down.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Drifting

From your reply, it could be either the main fuel relay or keyswitch assy. Both can be intermittent, however description of loss of power, poor running suggests more likely loss of fuel pressure is causing the problem, so MFR seems more likely.

good luck
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM
me likes whats i's sees

ok so a honda mech. said it was the eletrical protion of the key assembly. does anyone know the name for this piece. or part number?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear

I had the exact same problem with my cl. It was actually a faulty ignition switch, and apparently it was recalled a few years back. Took mine to the acura dealer, and they fixed it free of charge.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CLeanLooking
ok so a honda mech. said it was the eletrical protion of the key assembly. does anyone know the name for this piece. or part number?
Part is readily available as an aftermarket part from auto parts stores. Easy installation; remove steering column top/bottom cover (5 screws I think). Back out two round head security bolts holding the switch assy (use sharp chisel or pick w/ hammer to release bolt and turn by hand). Rest is duck soup.

good luck