Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
TMO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC compressor pump

Hey guys,
I realy need some help with this,

a few days ago my AC pump started to make a really shitty noise plus everything seems to be shacking too. So I figured it needs to be replaced. I just bought a used one that FITS 95-97 Honda Accord 2.2L and 97 Acura 2.2CL and I believe it also fits a 98 2.3CL right?
I'm also on a tight budget cuz I just replaced the brakes and the Radiator so I'm thinking on replacing the whole AC compressor myself. The question is: is it pretty simple to replace? Anything I should be aware of if I do so? or should I just bring it to a professional?

Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
The actual replacement is pretty straightforward; Remove power steering, remove alternator, and remove compressor. Get an Accord or Acura shop manual to guide you. Installation is reverse of removal.

However (you knew this was coming!), you will need to discharge the AC system before disconnecting the compressor hose connections. You should drain compressor of old oil before installing, add 2-3 oz of lubricant to replacement compressor (if OEM it's PAG available from AC shop or online), replace the receiver/drier, thoroughly vacuum for 1/2 hr w/ vacuum pump, and charge the correct amount of R134a (~ 24 oz check under hood label). I would .

You could do all the installation and take car to a shop for oil injection, vacuuming and charging. AC shop should not charge more than $100 to vacuum and charge. Ask first!

good luck
Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Hey Texas

Is there anything that one can do to maintain the Ac compressor?

that vacum and charge sounds interesting.

Thanks for your time
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
There is no maintenance of AC fluids/gases. Vacuum and recharge is necessary if the system must be opened for repair. If you can isolate and protect the receiver/drier from air (moisture), you can re-use, otherwise a new one is best.

Honda/Acura AC systems are among the best in terms of longevity and ease f maintenance. Access to the evaporator is good on most models, compared to most US and European models that require dashboard removal to access.

regards
Old 04-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Old School Ridin Clean

Old 04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
TMO
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
The actual replacement is pretty straightforward; Remove power steering, remove alternator, and remove compressor. Get an Accord or Acura shop manual to guide you. Installation is reverse of removal.

However (you knew this was coming!), you will need to discharge the AC system before disconnecting the compressor hose connections. You should drain compressor of old oil before installing, add 2-3 oz of lubricant to replacement compressor (if OEM it's PAG available from AC shop or online), replace the receiver/drier, thoroughly vacuum for 1/2 hr w/ vacuum pump, and charge the correct amount of R134a (~ 24 oz check under hood label). I would .

You could do all the installation and take car to a shop for oil injection, vacuuming and charging. AC shop should not charge more than $100 to vacuum and charge. Ask first!

good luck
Now I have a problem. I went to get the AC compressor changed with the one I ordered online that fits a 97 CL 2.2L but apperently it doesn't fit my 2.3L. It seems like it is only the Clutch and Pulley do you think I can do this myself if I can find the right one or maybe use the one from the other pump I already have?

Thank you for the help.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 PM
TMO
Instructor

Originally Posted by TMO
Now I have a problem. I went to get the AC compressor changed with the one I ordered online that fits a 97 CL 2.2L but apperently it doesn't fit my 2.3L. It seems like it is only the Clutch and Pulley do you think I can do this myself if I can find the right one or maybe use the one from the other pump I already have?

Thank you for the help.
sorry I meant that it seems like just the clutch and pulley that is broken. Can I just replace the Clutch and Pulley by myself. if so where can I find a DIY?

Thank you.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Old School Ridin Clean

i would not do that job unless you have a good set of tools and help. If not goodluck.

That nut to take the pulley off is a bitch to remove without a impact gun
Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 PM
TMO
Instructor

Originally Posted by WineRed2.2CL
i would not do that job unless you have a good set of tools and help. If not goodluck.

That nut to take the pulley off is a bitch to remove without a impact gun
Thanks for all the info. I decided Il get it installed by a mechanic. I don't feel too confident to work on AC myself.

***NOW I HAVE ANOTHER PROBLEM. When my DRIVER door is fully closed, my power door locks (downwards) and my Passenger Window Down does not work from either the Driver and the Pass. Switch. ALTHOUGH when my door is HALF open, everything works fine. The Power locks works both way and Window Goes Down and up from both the Driver Door Switch and the Pass. Switch. Now I think there must be a short. But Where do I look for this and what are common places a short can happen in the Driver's Door?

Thanks.