97 2.2 blown gasket / engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:22 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 97 2.2 blown gasket / engine

Hey everyone, I have a few questions. here's my situation ... I have a 97 acura 2.2 cl and I'm not the best at maintaining my car I slack on oil chngez big time !!! so anyway like 3 weks ago me n my bf drive my car about 80 miles away and before we go I tell him to add coolant because I knew I was almost empty and he never did. so we are driving back on an overheat for 60 miles in which he was driving and failed to inform me the car had been overheating for the last 60 miles... we go to stop and pay a toll and the car shuts off and smoke is coming from under the hood ... A LOT of it .. so we open hood and a hole had burned into the top of my radiator and was smoking horribly and my coolant was bonedry nothing left so he poured water in my radiator with the car still very very hot and al that did was produce tons of smoke. so we get it towed to the tow lot and put tat putty over the hole and it hardened and he drove my car home after adding coolant . now we live 10 12 minutes away n the car overheats by the time we get home. I try2 start it the next day and it won't turn over..it cranks but won't turn over and as I'm doing this coolant is boiling/being pushed through the white tank that holds it. a friend tells me the mottors blown nothing else causes coolant to be pushed out .. anyway my batteries been on its way out 4 a while so I decded a day later 2 jump my car and just crank n give it gas and try to get it started and it turns over but the car was shaking BADLY for about 4 minutes and then it stopped,I did not try 2 drive it and turned it off. anyways I'm hearing my engines blown or my head gasket is shot.. what do u think?

also I found 2 jdm engines but they're honda engines and I was told the crank sesor oil pump and alternator will need to be used from my old engine and I'm not sure but I think re routed in some way and the engine shop guy said some mechanics might tell me it can't be done . I'm confused about this .. only engines I can find [ used ] are jdms and they're honda engines.. if this is so and those parts need to be swapped with parts from my non working engine is it hard to do?

I'm sorry for rambling but I just don't have a clue and I've been without a car because noone can answer my questions !!!!!!!

thanks !!!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Unfortunately, you need to bring your car to a experienced Honda / Acura shop. Driving like you guys did was the absolute wrong thing to do. I wouldn't have kept going knowing the car was overheating that bad.

YES, you probably either blew a head gasket, cracked the block, or severely jacked up the engine in some other way.

But, every situation is different, and no one here can tell you how bad it is or is not. Every engine does not react the same to similar stresses. There are engines out there that probably would have thrown a piston during that experience, some just need seals changed, oil change, fixed up, and chug right along after that.

There is really no easy fix with that engine now, as the overheating is probably now going to cost you a rebuild, at the least. You didn't help the situation by trying to start it AGAIN, after you knew it had overheated that badly.

As far as the engines, I'll let the 2.x guys chime in on what ones to use. There are options, but it could get pricey, as any engine you get other than brand new might be in rough shape.

This is just my

Good luck
Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you for replying ! does it usually take quite a while for people to respond?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
sometimes it takes a while, but it all depends on the day of the week.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't even try to rebuild your engine... The way you described it, it seems that it not only overheated, but the engine has loads of wear due to lack of oil changes and such. The cost of a full rebuilt will be a lot more than a swap.

You have several choice:

Get a F22B1 from another CL OR from an Accord EX (USA) or EX-R(canada)

The other choice you have is getting an H22 engine from an older Prelude. It has more power, it costs more, its more complicated to swap, but it is also weaker than the F22B1...

I have a feeling that if you were driving another car without the F22, it would've blown a long time ago! I suggest you go for the stock option, just because of its durability!
The following users liked this post:
saiko_cl_duck (07-06-2011)