window tint...damn cops

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:24 AM
The new ride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window tint...damn cops

Hey guys, I got pulled over yesterday JUST for window tint. They gave me a warning that says it has to come off in 10 days and i have to take my car to the local police station for them to check it out.

This sucks, does anyone know if they can pull you over for JUST the tint? I live in PA...and, I already know its illegal, i think its around 20%...but it was on the car when i bought it about 4 weeks ago. It looks so good and it was definitely professionally done. I would post pics but im in school, maybe sometime later.

So heres what I think...lol i wanna get out of this, i like the tint...possibly they aren't allowed to pull you over just for the tint, also, my car passed inspection 3 days before i bought it, they didnt take it off or say anything about it...isnt inspection supposed to make sure the car doesnt violate any state laws or regulations concerning motor vehicles? Hah, also, the police say the tint is a hazard to them and thats why its illegal. If it is dangerous to police, why would they put themselves in danger to pull me over JUST for that?? haha, any help is appreciated, 9 days to go.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 AM
nippon_wa 2.0

they can pull u over for the tint only.. and that's why i got 6 times.. only for the tints (5% all around).. and i paid like $500+ but i still have it.. and.. if u take off the front sides.. that would be fine..
Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuck it, just pay the ticket. Don't jack your tint. Cops are stupid. He was probably looking to take his sexual frustration out on someone. And if he could get you to fuck up your car through a power trip, even better for his self esteam. Fuck that, go to court or whatever, but don't jack your tint. You will regret it if you do.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Revelation 3:15-17

I've been stop only once by a trooper (woman) that lives in my block for having 13% all around and 35% in the front windshield. I ended up getting her cell # with no tickets.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
They can pull you over just for tint. PA has wonderful laws about tint. I don't remember the legal limit but it's like 35% or somethin. Pay the fine, and see what happens, I dunno about you having to show up to the po po station, that's just wrong.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by DivineCL
I've been stop only once by a trooper (woman) that lives in my block for having 13% all around and 35% in the front windshield. I ended up getting her cell # with no tickets.
NICE
Old 05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
...is now Carbon Fiber'd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ajtcl
Fuck it, just pay the ticket. Don't jack your tint. Cops are stupid. He was probably looking to take his sexual frustration out on someone. And if he could get you to fuck up your car through a power trip, even better for his self esteam. Fuck that, go to court or whatever, but don't jack your tint. You will regret it if you do.

^^ haha someone doesnt like cops! Hmm we really dont have that big of problem here in south cali, because its sunny. They only stop those ricer's. I know this one guy that has a fixed up Eclipse and the Sheriff riped the tint right off his window, and said "now take it off and get it fixed" haha.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:51 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
i have 5% all around and i got a ticket once. paid like 40 bucks and it was done with,
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Word..Just pay it..I don't know about the police station scenario maybe he was trying to scare you or something. Most cops are arrogant idiots anyway.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by hybridnrg
^^ haha someone doesnt like cops! Hmm we really dont have that big of problem here in south cali, because its sunny. They only stop those ricer's. I know this one guy that has a fixed up Eclipse and the Sheriff riped the tint right off his window, and said "now take it off and get it fixed" haha.
Holy shit, I would probably get arrested for freaking out on the cop if he did that to my car in front of me. Good tint's expensive too! that has to be illegal to physically do that to your car.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

i know in jersey you cant have the front two (drivers passangers) windows tinted at all. legaly. id find out.. cause technically they can impound your car for all kinds of stupid shit. if you have a muffler that isnt 50 state legal, which most arent. if you have no license plate lights, if your spoiler blocks the view out of the back window. even if your tires arent within a certain physical size as the origionals.(overall height) my father is a cop and every time i go home he gives me the stupid "radar detectors dont work" which i proved wrong with my rockey mountain scrambler....he was pissed... eather way id get it fixed just to show them and get it redone again.. its prolly gonna be cheaper.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:49 AM
BUY MY CL - see garage!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to work at a service station. Up until a few years ago, you could not pass inspection w/ tint, however, when the new emission test came out, they reworked some of the laws. The car can still pass inspection w/ illegal tint. The PA law is that the combined tint (factory and aftermarket) must allow at least 35% of the light to pass. The cops have guns to test. If they didn't test you, you may be able to beat it, but they would probably just go test it. If you don't go to the station, a ticket will be issued. Just pay the ticket, and keep in mind, this will continue to happen until you remove the tint. I'm 26 now, in the last 10 years, I have paid well over $500 for the tint on my cars in fines alone. Its worth it!
Old 05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Thats crazy yo, i got pulled over in ohio for speeding, i had 5% tint all the way around on my grand am. i rolled both the front windows down and she didnt say anything about my tint. i would of just paid the ticket and left it on if she did though.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:16 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by hybridnrg
If the tint was worth keeping, it wouldn't just rip off like that. I woulda ripped it off too!

That's why when you drive by a cop just open your windows or sunroof. I had a cop do a u-turn to follow me. I pulled into a minimart and chilled inside for a few minutes before I started driving again. Then I drove with the windows down cause there were some other cops out.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

It isn't that I don't like cops, I know some cool mother fuckers that are on the force. But, any cop that will pull you over, and give you shit about something he wishes he had, well. Fuck it. At least in Oklahoma there are no laws against window tint. Though, it is illegal to tint your windsheild below the sun strip.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:17 PM
The new ride

Thanks for the help, the police station visit was if i got it taken off to show them so i didnt get a ticket, otherwise they'll just mail it. I have to find out how much it will be, and if its a one time thing or if they send them monthly/weekly until you get your tint off. if its a 1 time $100 ticket at most its def. worth keeping. but if they keep fining me ill take it off and have it redone.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Soul Rebel

Yea well let us know
Old 05-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by Mulk
Thanks for the help, the police station visit was if i got it taken off to show them so i didnt get a ticket, otherwise they'll just mail it. I have to find out how much it will be, and if its a one time thing or if they send them monthly/weekly until you get your tint off. if its a 1 time $100 ticket at most its def. worth keeping. but if they keep fining me ill take it off and have it redone.
It's not a subscription.

Just go down there with a similar car, swap plates and vins and you're set.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:33 PM
BUY MY CL - see garage!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I might be mistaken, but i think it's the typical equip. thing = $92.50. The only way they'll keep getting you is if the same cop sees you again (you can pretty much guarntee he'll pull you then), or if they just decide to crack down. Good Luck!
Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
The new ride

Originally Posted by Motohip
It's not a subscription.

Just go down there with a similar car, swap plates and vins and you're set.
haha, subscription... actually a friend from work told me they had a friend who got a warning, and the officer said if they didnt remove the tint a citation would be sent to their house every week until they saw the car with no tint, but i thought that sounded kinda strange...

Thanks for the estimate jibber, right now im thinkin ill go ahead and take it off myself (the front windows only, a friend said i might be able to get away with that) then have it redone at 20% or 35%, right now i believe its 5% lol, on a sunny day with the sunroof open its BLACK...i figured maybe i could get away with something not quite as dark on the front rather than keeping what i have. besides theres a tiny wrinkle in the passenger side tint anyway lol and im picky about stuff like that.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Racer

In Alberta having tint on the front, side windows is illegal, so the driver can be seen. It took me two years to get pulled over for it, and I had it removed at that point. Most cops won't care about stuff like that (if I was a cop I wouldn't pull somebody over for something so inane), chances are you could go a long time before getting nailed for window tint again. I didn't have to show that I had removed it.

But if you are doing something you know is illegal then don't complain when you get pulled over.. they are doing their jobs. Just pay the ticket and get over it.

Originally Posted by Mulk
Hey guys, I got pulled over yesterday JUST for window tint. They gave me a warning that says it has to come off in 10 days and i have to take my car to the local police station for them to check it out.

This sucks, does anyone know if they can pull you over for JUST the tint? I live in PA...and, I already know its illegal, i think its around 20%...but it was on the car when i bought it about 4 weeks ago. It looks so good and it was definitely professionally done. I would post pics but im in school, maybe sometime later.

So heres what I think...lol i wanna get out of this, i like the tint...possibly they aren't allowed to pull you over just for the tint, also, my car passed inspection 3 days before i bought it, they didnt take it off or say anything about it...isnt inspection supposed to make sure the car doesnt violate any state laws or regulations concerning motor vehicles? Hah, also, the police say the tint is a hazard to them and thats why its illegal. If it is dangerous to police, why would they put themselves in danger to pull me over JUST for that?? haha, any help is appreciated, 9 days to go.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:40 AM
1 luv 4 CL's

I live in Crawford County PA. I have traveled alot and the only state I have ever been pulled over in the CL for tint was in this county, of PA. I have been caught exactly 4 times and everytime I get the same sh#t. They tell me the same thing everytime... your front 2 windows need to have 77% light transmission. Another words 77% of the light coming from the sun has to be able to pass through your windows into your car. I was told that there is no such thing as legal aftermarket tint in PA. The reason for this is because if they pull you over, they want to see what is on the other side of that window when they walk up to your car. If you think of it from their prospective, simple traffic stop, walk up, tinted window, window down, shotgun in lap, bang... you get the drift.

I've never been told to go prove that the tint has been removed at the station. I just have to have my mechanic sign the sitation saying that he took it off and mail it in. This does come with a fee($50), which isn't much.. all things considered, after all it is his license ( ) on the line. When it happens, I tell them it was removed, but when I was in Cali (any state) working for 8 months the sun was to much and I had it put back on. You can spend your money on whatever you want...right officer? The point is... Cops get bored and will pull you over for dumb sh#t. I still have the original tint job that I got 5 years ago in Cali. Do whatever you can to get out of it... lie, cheat.. it doesn't matter.. there must be a way. You dont tell them how to spend their money why should they tell you how you can spend yours?
Old 05-25-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by DivineCL
if thats not then i dont know what is...
Old 05-26-2005, 09:31 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Originally Posted by SilverCL97
if thats not then i dont know what is...
X2
Old 05-26-2005, 09:40 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wilp99
i know in jersey you cant have the front two (drivers passangers) windows tinted at all. legaly. id find out.. cause technically they can impound your car for all kinds of stupid shit. if you have a muffler that isnt 50 state legal, which most arent. if you have no license plate lights, if your spoiler blocks the view out of the back window. even if your tires arent within a certain physical size as the origionals.(overall height) my father is a cop and every time i go home he gives me the stupid "radar detectors dont work" which i proved wrong with my rockey mountain scrambler....he was pissed... eather way id get it fixed just to show them and get it redone again.. its prolly gonna be cheaper.
cops in NJ have hard-ons for tint. i took the tint off after i got arrested for a bench warrant for an unpaid tinted windows ticket.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 AM
Peace, Love & Acura

Originally Posted by Slooo97CL
cops in NJ have hard-ons for tint. i took the tint off after i got arrested for a bench warrant for an unpaid tinted windows ticket.
That is fucked up.......
Old 05-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Ted
Burning Brakes

Ramblings...