Why does my sub sound much worse with a new HU?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my sub sound much worse with a new HU?

I installed a pioneer deh-p440 and my sub just does not bump as nicely as it did before with the stock head unit. It just seems that it doesn't put out the same nice bass waves. The sub was hooked through an adaptor into the rear speaker wire before, not through the stereo sub out. Any insight?
Old 04-03-2002, 08:59 PM
Turn Signals are good!

get a different head unit, Pioneer sucks... its a Wal-Mart brand.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:01 PM
What can I get ya?

Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL
get a different head unit, Pioneer sucks... its a Wal-Mart brand.

Pioneer does suck, but pioneer premier is not bad at all.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:02 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Pioneer does not suck...their headunits get good ratings...basically any aftermarket head unit will be better than the stock head unit...he just connected the sub the wrong way...if you don't get it fixed I'll take a look at ur sub at the April 20th meet...

CL'S
Old 04-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

I noticed this too when i put in my Clarion

It is because the line converter (what allows you to hook up rca plugs to stock radio system) has a bass boost gain thingy so it adds more bass to what your stock raido put out

My back window would move an inch or so with low notes b4 i got my Clarion now it just kind of shakes
Old 04-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Everybody Wang Chung

First pioneer doesn't suck, it may not be as good as eclipse or alpine. I do like the pioneer I have better than the eclipse I had.

I'm guessing that the difference is that your new hu doesn't put out as much voltage as the converter you had.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:42 AM
i like chicken

OK, here is my area of expertise.

first, pioneer does not suck, and actually they are equal or better than any other company on the market. let me explain why. some of you guys are basing the quality of pioneer where the product is sold. think about what you are saying for a second. that is the lamest excuse for degrading a company. pioneer sells more equipment at walmart every year than eclipse sells in every car audio shop in the country. PIONEER IS SMART FOR SELLING THEIR STUFF EVERYWHERE!!! think about it! they have enough resources and electronic knowledge that they can sell their products anywhere because of the low cost structure.

second, if any of you know anything equal to the average joe on the streets about car audio or even home audio equipment you would know pioneer is one of the best in the world. you get what you pay for, yes, but there is a point of overkill. eclipse stuff is over priced, so is PG. there are many, but i wont get into that.

third, if you know a bit more than the average joe about product specifications like db sensitivity, aspect ratio, VOX, preout voltage, % distortion, etc... you would realize that many of the companies out there are garbage. there is more to this stuff than many of you know. im not trying to sound like a god or anything but i spent YEARS researching and learning the behind the scenes stuff. i guaranntee i know as much or more than anyone on this board about this stuff. learn what the specs mean, then compare them, and then listen to different products on an RTA and you will see your difference.

i had alpine HU's all my life and i lived and breathed alpine, i went with the pioneer avx-7300 dvd and i will tell you it is 10 times better than any alpine HU on the market, hands down. i know a ton about this scene and i have still not learned 20% of the stuff that unit is capable of.

your entitled to your own opinion, and im sure you realize pioneer doesnt make crazy stuff like 2000watt subs and 4000 watt class D amps, but again that is a marketing strategy. just take my experience into mind, i got my last car published in AutoSound & Security for gods sake!

now to your question... it could be a few things. first the output voltage could be lower than your previous HU. something to look into is a line driver, which i can recommend 2, PG which runs you up to 8 volts, and audiocontrol which will take you up to 13 volts

your preout voltage may also be higher, which decreases your noise floor (on a spectrum analizer the noize floor is the very bottom line where your reading in the positive db's begin) and means your running a stonger signal to your amps/speakers, but it also means the voltage in the preouts is higher and can be more sentive to interference, such as 12v+, speaker wires sensitivity, or ground loops.

it could also be somthing simple like the preset frequency settings (measured in hertz or hz) on the different HU's.

check your ohm load too.

one last thing i can think of now is what us car audio buffs call the 10 rules to car audio. one of them is to never run a sub off a head unit. regardless of what you think, they are not designed to do so. are you even running an amp? if not, were you running the factory one with the factory HU? you are better off getting a low end class a amp to power a sub.

my $.02
Old 04-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by rmstoico
OK, here is my area of expertise.

first, pioneer does not suck, and actually they are equal or better than any other company on the market. let me explain why. some of you guys are basing the quality of pioneer where the product is sold. think about what you are saying for a second. that is the lamest excuse for degrading a company. pioneer sells more equipment at walmart every year than eclipse sells in every car audio shop in the country. PIONEER IS SMART FOR SELLING THEIR STUFF EVERYWHERE!!! think about it! they have enough resources and electronic knowledge that they can sell their products anywhere because of the low cost structure.

second, if any of you know anything equal to the average joe on the streets about car audio or even home audio equipment you would know pioneer is one of the best in the world. you get what you pay for, yes, but there is a point of overkill. eclipse stuff is over priced, so is PG. there are many, but i wont get into that.

third, if you know a bit more than the average joe about product specifications like db sensitivity, aspect ratio, VOX, preout voltage, % distortion, etc... you would realize that many of the companies out there are garbage. there is more to this stuff than many of you know. im not trying to sound like a god or anything but i spent YEARS researching and learning the behind the scenes stuff. i guaranntee i know as much or more than anyone on this board about this stuff. learn what the specs mean, then compare them, and then listen to different products on an RTA and you will see your difference.

i had alpine HU's all my life and i lived and breathed alpine, i went with the pioneer avx-7300 dvd and i will tell you it is 10 times better than any alpine HU on the market, hands down. i know a ton about this scene and i have still not learned 20% of the stuff that unit is capable of.

your entitled to your own opinion, and im sure you realize pioneer doesnt make crazy stuff like 2000watt subs and 4000 watt class D amps, but again that is a marketing strategy. just take my experience into mind, i got my last car published in AutoSound & Security for gods sake!

now to your question... it could be a few things. first the output voltage could be lower than your previous HU. something to look into is a line driver, which i can recommend 2, PG which runs you up to 8 volts, and audiocontrol which will take you up to 13 volts

your preout voltage may also be higher, which decreases your noise floor (on a spectrum analizer the noize floor is the very bottom line where your reading in the positive db's begin) and means your running a stonger signal to your amps/speakers, but it also means the voltage in the preouts is higher and can be more sentive to interference, such as 12v+, speaker wires sensitivity, or ground loops.

it could also be somthing simple like the preset frequency settings (measured in hertz or hz) on the different HU's.

check your ohm load too.

one last thing i can think of now is what us car audio buffs call the 10 rules to car audio. one of them is to never run a sub off a head unit. regardless of what you think, they are not designed to do so. are you even running an amp? if not, were you running the factory one with the factory HU? you are better off getting a low end class a amp to power a sub.

my $.02
I need to fly you down here when I redo my car stereo with Infinity References this summer. :P
Old 04-05-2002, 02:53 AM
i like chicken

Originally posted by Got Rice?

I need to fly you down here when I redo my car stereo with Infinity References this summer. :P
thanks! i will be in atlanta for nopi nationals this year, look me up!
Old 04-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

To give you some more background on this situation:

I am running a 2-channel Pioneer amp entirely dedicated to the sub. The amp is rated at 150RMS and worked great before.

One thing I have noticed about the output of this headunit is that it gives off very little bass. it just doesn't process low end bass like the stock one did. The stock rear speakers used to really bump nicely with the stock HU. Now, it seems like they just can't handle the power and give off very little bass and seem to struggle. That is one of the problems I think, I'm getting a lot less midbass because of this. I've tried turning the bass up on the HU and playing with it and it just isn't as low as the stock one was?

Same situation with the sub, I've turned up the bass boost on the amp and it sounds better but it just seems like the headunit does not give out low bass I've played with all of the various settings it has and can't get the full sound that I want.
Loudness set to medium helps, but starts distorting if the volume is turned up. I've tried using the HUs internal low pass filter for the sub and tried it with full sound and it doesn't help.

The RCA plugs are rated at 2V, I wonder if the line converter is higher. Maybe I'll try hooking up the sub to it rather than the rca's on the HU. I left the converter in there since the guy who installed it before spliced into the factory harness so I didn't want to mess with it. Do you think that could be making a difference since there is a line converter chilling there with nothing connected to it.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Instructor

Are you still using the stock speakers?
Old 04-06-2002, 03:25 AM
Instructor

Hey, I have the pioneer deh-6300 and my system pounds. I have 2 1000 watt mtx subs and I tried to put in an amp that was too weak and they didn't do anything. Now I have a huge amp and it pounds. Pounds so dayam much that my cars starting to rattle........