What's Wrong With Acura?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 03:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
What's Wrong With Acura?

Consider this fair warning--this is going to be a long post!

I couldn't afford an Acura until my wife and I bought a 1997 Integra GS-R. So began our love affair with this company and their cars. At the time, we had shopped almost every compact sporty car in the $15K-$25K price range. Only Acura offered a high-performance yet luxuriously-appointed vehicle, along with a long warranty and top-notch customer service. Only at the Acura dealer we were treated as members of the family rather than as potential suckers.

We loved that car, so we next bought a 1998 CL. Again, we were looking for something sporty but not a sports car, combined with fine worksmanship and the best in customer service. The CL might as well have been designed just for us.

Now Acura has a complete lineup of excellent vehicles, running the gamut from entry-level to exotic sports car, coupes to sedans to SUVs. Every one is a winner in its segment, providing far more than you'd get from other automakers for the same price.

Yet still Acura isn't taken seriously. Acura is not spoken of in the same breath with BMW, Mercedes, and even Lexus. Acura vehicles are derided as "overblown Hondas", yet other car compaines (like Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti) don't seem to suffer the same.

So my philosophical question is this: Do you think that if Acura sold the EXACT same cars for ten thousand more that they would have that "snob appeal" that other luxury carmakers enjoy?

As a BMW owner, I can assure you that Acura quality and customer service is far superior across the board. And I know that Lexus makes fine automobolies, but are they worth the premium in price?

What do you all think? Should Acura be happy to be the "economy" luxury company? Can they boost their market image without losing their high value for what you pay?
Old 08-19-2001, 03:49 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's up ICEMAN.... yet again.. I agree and hear you... funny actually you post this... I was at dealership today having same discussion with the business manager(my buddy)...

I think they should be happy with it.. It opens the doors to both markets, Rich and the Mid-Lower class.. Mercedes, Lexus, BMW, etc.. are all known to be high rollers and if an average guy like myself were buying a car... I know not to look.. but with acuras great reputation, great cars, affordibility and reliability... I look there first and walk away with an affordeable, unbelievable car that is the same if not better than those over prices cars with badges that dont mean shit... Acura is known as a high end vehicle like those others but with their line starting from Integra up to the RL and MDX... They have been able to differ themselves frm the competition and allow themselves to be considered a mid price car with the full package as the lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc...

ADVANTAGE - ACURA!!!!