Want a Little More Bass

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want a Little More Bass

Ok guys. I did a search and have read 100+ posts from those crazy Cl-S er's and all of their stereo upgrades. Shoot, I'm an older guy and just want to get some more Bass out of the stock
Boss system. Can anyone please tell me key things I would
need to know and "listen" for as I drive around to various auto
stereo install shops, including some of the chains, so that I don't spend too much.

Truthfully, if the stock speakers can handle the extra Boom, boom, I don't really want to change them. But damn, there's
no bass and I gotta have just a little bit more.

When you respond, please understand that I've never, ever upgraded a car stereo before, so if you don't mind, tell me specifically what components I should ask for, and will need to
get some Boom Boom. (just a little more, not metal rattling)

Thanks. MHM
Old 09-18-2002, 07:19 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
If i were you i would get an infiniti basslink. It is a 10 inch sub with a 200 watt amp in one small easy to hook up package. I have heard numerous good things about it from the ppl that want some more bass but not window rattling bass. I believe they list for like 400 but can be found much much cheaper

Heres a pic of it and a link for the lowest prices. If i were you i would make sure it was an authorzied dealer and highly recommend crutchfield if you are doing the install because they are very helpful and have great service (well from what i have ordered) which explains there higher price but its up to you.

If you dont want to do that you could always get a sub and amp. I have an infinity kappa 10 and love it
Old 09-18-2002, 07:19 PM
DamnThisHobby'sExpensive!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ive got 2 12" Alpine Type S subs with 450 watts runnin to them via fosgate. Thats enough bass for me...i also installed a gain control knob to control the amount...Anyone dynomated their 1gen CL trunks?? my trunk lid rattles like a mo fo and i need to dynomat it or somethin...anyone know how much $ it costs or whats good to use to stop the ratteling?
Old 09-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

i have two xtants with an amp and they hit harder than my friends Alpine typeS 12's. :P

if you want more bass the best thing would be the infinity basslink. you dont have to worry about overpowering the speaker, mounting the amplifier in a separate place etc etc.

oh... and try to stay away from those bass tubes.. the sound quality is not all that great.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Pimpin with style

Im guessin you have the Bose Amped System in the car that comes factory, it looks like you kinda want to replace your stock speakers for some better upgraded speakers, the ony thing about that it if you replace any part of your factory system, you'll need to replace everything cause you can not replace only one part (it was design this way by Bose, atleast thats my experence with the Bose Amped System)

By the sound of it you dont want much bass, so I say go to your local sound store and ask about probly one 10' or 12' inch sub woofer with a sealed box and a 2 channel amp with just enough power to push that speaker, and they should know how to hook it up to your factory system, what 1stGen has brought up looks like a cool set up, might be waht your lookin for

that would be the cheepest way, but if price is no object, and your lookin into replacein the whole system, if thats the case, just ask and Ill explain what you need there
Old 09-18-2002, 09:23 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys, you have answered my question. I will go around
to the various hi-fi stores and look for the Infinity Baselink 10" subwoofer and amplifier in one unit. That's the kind of simple, not too much thought put into it that I am looking for.

Thanks. Will post additional question if any of these "techies" try to upsell or confuse me. By the way, spending $250 to $350 would suit me just fine. Really do not want to replace the whole thing.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 30CLstyle
Im guessin you have the Bose Amped System in the car that comes factory, it looks like you kinda want to replace your stock speakers for some better upgraded speakers, the ony thing about that it if you replace any part of your factory system, you'll need to replace everything cause you can not replace only one part (it was design this way by Bose, atleast thats my experence with the Bose Amped System)

By the sound of it you dont want much bass, so I say go to your local sound store and ask about probly one 10' or 12' inch sub woofer with a sealed box and a 2 channel amp with just enough power to push that speaker, and they should know how to hook it up to your factory system, what 1stGen has brought up looks like a cool set up, might be waht your lookin for

that would be the cheepest way, but if price is no object, and your lookin into replacein the whole system, if thats the case, just ask and Ill explain what you need there
I thought you can change the H/U of the bose setup and not have to change the whole thing? I was talking to a friend, and his friend has a CL with a aftermarket deck in it, from what i've read here I thought you couldn't, but he had one set up? Can this really be done with good quality sound?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:18 AM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by Acura3.0CL
Ive got 2 12" Alpine Type S subs with 450 watts runnin to them via fosgate. Thats enough bass for me...i also installed a gain control knob to control the amount...Anyone dynomated their 1gen CL trunks?? my trunk lid rattles like a mo fo and i need to dynomat it or somethin...anyone know how much $ it costs or whats good to use to stop the ratteling?
I love the Alpine subs.

I got a dual voice-coil 12" Type R sub running 1000 watts from my Sony Xplod amp in a ported box that takes up half the trunk. Shits got kick.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:03 AM
Don't hate the PLAYA

Originally posted by mazor1
Thanks guys, you have answered my question. I will go around
to the various hi-fi stores and look for the Infinity Baselink 10" subwoofer and amplifier in one unit. That's the kind of simple, not too much thought put into it that I am looking for.

Thanks. Will post additional question if any of these "techies" try to upsell or confuse me. By the way, spending $250 to $350 would suit me just fine. Really do not want to replace the whole thing.

Hey, your in smyrna so I'm assuming you know where the big chicken is right? Take a right there so you will be on roswell rd. a mile or two down on your right hand side there is the Source car audio install place. Good luck
Old 09-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Thanks ATl-CL. Have eaten at the Big Chicken too many times,
so thanks for the Source. I'm headed out in a little bit to check
on local prices for the Infinity Baselink 10" It sounds like just
what I'm looking for, but I don't want to install it myself. Thanks
again.
Old 11-10-2002, 12:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Hey, I just got my basslink and went and bought some monster cables to install the basslink with, has any of the first gens completed the installation of the basslink? Trying to figure out what I need to do with wiring them in
Old 11-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Advanced

for those of you still interested in buying this and you have an american express gold/business gold ($75/year) or american express starwood preferred guest card ($35/year) there is a way to get this at a good deal from an authorized and trustworthy store.

simply put, buy at crutchfield for the superior customer service (or your local stereo-install store) and have amex pricematch a shady internet store. amex will send you a check for the difference!

$399 (crutchfield price)
- 224.98 (lets go digital price)
------------
$174.02 check from amex for pricematch

it's like paying crutchfield $224.98 instead of $399! amex rocks! the savings from pricematching covers the card's annual fees over and over.

Originally posted by mazor1
I'm headed out in a little bit to check on local prices for the Infinity Baselink 10" It sounds like just what I'm looking for...
Old 11-10-2002, 02:55 PM
Advanced

upgrading the sound in your car is a good thing.
i upgraded with a sony xplod w/remote+780watt logic amp.
and 2 10 inch. subwoofer in the trunk.
sounds awesome. After the upgrade i went for a little drive
in nyc, (time square ,the clubs and all that)

made my 97cl look and feel off the hook

97 cl 5spd. flamenco black pearl
cia intake
eibach springs 1.5 drop
kyb/agx adjustable shocks,
decals,clear corners
780 watt 4 ch. amp w/2 10 inch subs
xplod sony radio w/xm +remote
(more to come)
Old 11-11-2002, 07:28 AM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

my advice to you, for whatever its worth.. do NOT be a cheap ass!!!
change out to a good (alpine) HU...
Get good (focal) components...
get good (JL, PG, etc) woofers and amp...
Old 11-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I dont think being cheap is why he wants something simple. All he wants is alittle more bass. Why would he go out and spend all that money, he is basically happy besides the bass issue

Originally posted by Casper98CL
my advice to you, for whatever its worth.. do NOT be a cheap ass!!!
change out to a good (alpine) HU...
Get good (focal) components...
get good (JL, PG, etc) woofers and amp...
Old 11-11-2002, 09:15 AM
all stocker

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sc0rpi0
for those of you still interested in buying this and you have an american express gold/business gold ($75/year) or american express starwood preferred guest card ($35/year) there is a way to get this at a good deal from an authorized and trustworthy store.

simply put, buy at crutchfield for the superior customer service (or your local stereo-install store) and have amex pricematch a shady internet store. amex will send you a check for the difference!
hey scorpio!
i haven't heard of that pricematching benefit from amex???
and i have an amex gold too.

mmm.... let me ask my fiance.
she works at amex in manhattan.
it's great to have an insider with the amex business!

i got my amex gold card for free!
(and we're not even married yet)
Old 11-11-2002, 02:28 PM
Advanced

this is the best thing about amex gold! take advantage of it!

there are terms to the *Best Value Guarantee* so ask your fiancee about getting a copy of it. there's stuff in there like you can't pricematch used, clearanced, or auction items; $200 maximum pricematch difference allowed per item, $2000 in pricematches per year; you have 60-days to find the best price...the terms are very reasonable and you get the check in a about 2 weeks after filing a claim!

Originally posted by Acura Sensei
hey scorpio!
i haven't heard of that pricematching benefit from amex???
and i have an amex gold too.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:42 PM
all stocker

Originally posted by Sc0rpi0
this is the best thing about amex gold! take advantage of it!

there are terms to the *Best Value Guarantee* so ask your fiancee about getting a copy of it. there's stuff in there like you can't pricematch used, clearanced, or auction items; $200 maximum pricematch difference allowed per item, $2000 in pricematches per year; you have 60-days to find the best price...the terms are very reasonable and you get the check in a about 2 weeks after filing a claim!
thanks again.
i will definitely look into this benefit.
this will also solve my problem with my current pursuit to buying a receiver through a friend at best buy.
this way... i can buy it at best buy... and receiver the price difference from amex by searching for the cheapest price online.

now why didn't my fiance tell me about this?
time to give her a spankin' tonight!
:P

i'll get back to you guys about what i find out
from my amex gold.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:11 PM
all stocker

this is what i found under the benefits terms for the amex gold card.
by the way... there are more than one gold card.
mine is the Rewards Plus Gold Card.

i'm questioning what they're stating when they say, if you see a covered item advertised in PRINT for less than you paid.

do online retailers qualify???

(copied from amex's website...)

Best Value Guarantee
With the Best Value Guarantee, you'll pay the lowest price available on items purchased with the Card. If you see a covered item advertised in print for less than you paid within 60 days of the purchase date, we'll refund the difference to you, up to $250 per item.5

5 Best Value Guarantee assures the lowest price available on purchases made entirely with an eligible American Express® Card in the U.S. Refunds are limited to $1,000 annually per Card account. We will gladly honor your request for a refund on a savings of $10 or more. For more details or to file a request for a refund, call 1-800-557-8317. Coverage is subject to certain terms, conditions and exclusions.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Acura Sensei
i'm questioning what they're stating when they say, if you see a covered item advertised in PRINT for less than you paid.

do online retailers qualify???
yes, online retailers do qualify. ALL my pricematches have come from online retailers.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

PM please.