Tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:57 PM
Oh yeah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tweeters

Ok I know this will sound really dumb but my brother brought it to my attention about an hour ago. There are tweeters in the '97 CL? My family has owned this car for 4 years and I never knew that, I went out and looked for them and there they were. So my question being are they any good? I am completly redoing the sound system in about a week or so and I already bought new speakers not knowing about tweeters so do I need to go out and get new tweeters of leave them alone? Thanks for the help.
Melanie
Old 02-12-2002, 10:00 PM
blah blah blah

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You could leave them alone. Cause when you put in a new system, you'll have no use for them. Cause the installer is just going to bypass the bose amp thats in the car.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:05 PM
tlac356

Stock CL speakers are CRAP!!!!

I dont care if you got the bose or the alpine, they are CRAP
When you take them out you see that they are paper, that should tell you enough right there. And your head unit (cdplayer) is pumping about 40watts (10 X 4), as opposed to my alpine pumping 240watts (60 X 4)

I'm sorry, i got carried away and i forgot your question?
Old 02-12-2002, 10:06 PM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my stock "Blowz" speakers with Infinity Components. 6 1/2" speakers for the doors, and 1" tweeters for the dash (separated with a crossover). The stock system has a crude "crossover" built into the tweeter. The crossover allows the high frequencies to go the tweeters and the low frequencies to the door speakers. In other words, the door speakers and the tweeters are interrelated (connected).
Old 02-12-2002, 10:13 PM
tlac356

ok.....I read the rest of your question

1st, take back those speakers and buy componets

2nd, disconect the wire going to those tweeters

3rd, when you get the conpponets installed, have the shop (dont do this your self) mount the tweeters in your door panels, it looks good if its done right.

cause unless you chill up between the wind shield and the dash you not going to hear them (that probaly why you didnt even know you had them)

i did to my car, so it can be done
Old 02-13-2002, 02:13 AM
Burning Brakes

i have my premeier tweets mounted in the dash location and the sound great, Big diff.

by the way he is a question. My girlfriend has a 2000 accord with the same factory tweets and dorr speaker. I installed some 2 ways in her door but it sounds like i cant hear highs of if it that well. I think its the X over(factory) thats still sending highs to the crappy tweets(factory). So if i disconnect the tweets will the X over be disabled and will the highs be going to the 2 ways????pls help!
Old 02-13-2002, 12:01 PM
K-State Wildcat

I have Boston Pro components that come with a NEo 4t Tweeter. The tweeter that we have stock is 3/4", and paper. The Boston is 1", and made out of titanium. I had the shop just replace it in the same spot by the windshield, and it is loud as hell. Really really bright. Granted I have about 100w of xStant power running to them. Aside from subwoofers, replacing the tweeters in my opinion is the most noticable thing you can do. Being located where they are to reflect off the windshield just amplifies the sound more after reflecting. Flush mounts in the door are cool if you dont alrealy have a spot made for them. Definately get some tweeters, I would reccomend Bostons.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

change the speakers.. but tweeters are all the same. there is no sense in spending 50 bucks for tweets.... anything hits high frequency, and your ear cant hear (not too well) the very high ranges that the sales pitch is based on anyway. all that considered, most music does not go that high frequency anyway.

just my two cents.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:13 PM
K-State Wildcat

Originally posted by 1genCL
change the speakers.. but tweeters are all the same. there is no sense in spending 50 bucks for tweets.... anything hits high frequency, and your ear cant hear (not too well) the very high ranges that the sales pitch is based on anyway. all that considered, most music does not go that high frequency anyway.

just my two cents.
there is a HUGE difference in stock tweeters compared to quality aftermarket. Just like the door speakers, quality tweeters handle more wattage (a lot more), are tons cleaner and hit the highs with authority. When a car with good tweeters rolls by with the windows down, the highs can be louder than his two 12s in the trunk. Trust me, mine are.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

The dash location is a very good spot for the tweeters. High frequencies are very directional, the curvalinear shape of the windshield will reflect the highs back towards you. And, yes, replace them. I personally prefer ADS, but also like Bostons and MBQuarts. ADS are extremely expensive and hard to find.

When I finally get around to putting a system in mine I plan to do some custom work and put both a 3" and a tweet in the dash.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Acurate

there is a HUGE difference in stock tweeters compared to quality aftermarket. Just like the door speakers, quality tweeters handle more wattage (a lot more), are tons cleaner and hit the highs with authority. When a car with good tweeters rolls by with the windows down, the highs can be louder than his two 12s in the trunk. Trust me, mine are.
not to hijack the thread.......

yes.. the higher frequencies can always be loder, but whats the point of those are loud and overshadow the low freq's. all i'm saying is i wouldnt pump money into tweeters. most of the audible freq's can be safely and cleanly handled by nice co-ax speakers.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Melanie, if you went out and bought a whole new sound system without even knowing that your car already has tweeters, then I can bet that you got fleeced on the new system. Unless you got lucky enough to find a knowledgeable, honest salesman (rare indeed) who really took care of you, you have probably bought overpriced, underperforming junk and the stock system will sound superior. Do you mind sharing with us what you bought?
Old 02-13-2002, 02:32 PM
Turn Signals are good!

You can leave the tweeters in there... they are actually not bose tweeters, bose does not make dome tweeters. I am not sure who makes them, but they are the same ones found in all other honda/acura systems with tweeters. Off an amp, they sound amazing, I have Boston 6.5's in the doors with a rockford amp pushing both the 6.5's and the tweeters, it sounds incredible. Very clean and undistorted highs and mids!! I definatly suggest keeping them and just amplify them with some modest power. Aftermarket tweeters may give you a little better sound, but theres a reason my $300 Boston Pro tweeters sit in the basement... the sound of metal tweeters is harsh unless its amplified and tuned just right (found this out after I bought them). Also, tweeters mounted in the door will not always sound the greatest, the best place for tweeters is high up (like in the dash) and in the far corners (where our tweeters are), or in the kick panel, but then when someone is in the passenger seat, their leg block the highs. Putting them in the door may make them sound good, but its not making them sound their best, and the "sweet spot" is way off. Go with what you have Melanie... it will definatly sound great.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:26 PM
Oh yeah!

Thanks for all the help, still not sure what I am gonna do but I appreciate the input. I won't be getting ripped off, I learned my lesson after having that happen in my old car. One of my friends knows a guy who is just trying to get a shop open and is just looking for some clients. He does real good work, I saw a couple systems he put together and they look real nice, actually I was disappointed that the rear seats don't fold down because he can make the amps look real cool if you fold down the seat but oh well. I bought new Sony Xplode speakers and I am getting 2 12inch Rockford subs with the encloser with the fiberglass for $200, a 400 watt Rockford amp for $180 and a 500 watt Rockford amo for $220 so in my opinon that was a pretty good deal. And he's also gonna install my indiglo guages for me.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:44 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Its simple... return those speakers... and buy the same speakers in a COMPONENT SYSTEM.. It comes with the speakers and tweeters...

You need to have tweeters... its your only "high" supply... why bother doing a system if you won't sound good!?
Old 02-14-2002, 11:27 AM
AWD Torque Monster

i installed new ones in my door panel. looks liek th ecar caem that way. i ripped the ones ion the dash out and threw them away. took a whole 2 grams of weight off. hahah ill have to get soem pics up.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Pro

I actually have mine in door where triangle plastic piece is. Similar location to civics and most cars. I bondo'd my tweets in there. Looks ok.. just can't get the paint to match perfect. They're Focal TN-46 tweets so they are huge.

Tweets in the window (stock location) create a really bad sound stage, that's why u have to move them into a door and non-reflecting location.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:18 PM
You Fawkin Kiddin Me!

Originally posted by CLTypeR
I actually have mine in door where triangle plastic piece is. Similar location to civics and most cars. I bondo'd my tweets in there. Looks ok.. just can't get the paint to match perfect. They're Focal TN-46 tweets so they are huge.

Tweets in the window (stock location) create a really bad sound stage, that's why u have to move them into a door and non-reflecting location.
actually I beg to differ.. I have a comptetion sound system now nad I have Focals Polykevlars... I located my tweets in stock location and I have prime sound stage... the car is designed for natural great sound... The reason you may feel that way is because focal tweets especially yours are clear but also harsh to the ears at the pitch they provide... otherwise the stock location is perfect.. its the tweets you buy that will make you sound like crap!
Old 02-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Pro

I have the Boston Pro series NEO tweeters, and they sound like crap in the stock locations.
Horrible soundstage, I'm thinka about gettin the Q forms and mounting them in the kick panels
Old 02-15-2002, 03:44 PM
Pro

DUDE....

It's doesn't matter if u have a competition sound system. Did u build it?? ... do the reasarch and test everything yourself?? By the looks of ur system... someone else did it.

As ANY car audio afficianado ... they will tell u the same ... sound reflection is bad. They really like tweeters in a kick panel. Stock location is the WORST. Really neat what they've done w/ your subs though. I was thinkin bout relocating my rear fill there.

My tweets aren't harsh at all. I had them on a RF Punch amp for a bit, and yes they were harsh, but not on my XTANT. If you wanted good Focal's you would've gotten the Utopia's. Polykevs are the same ones I have .. just the updated version. I've even had Diamond Audio Hex Silk Tweeters mounted in stock position to test ... horrible, so I moved them different positions and that's where I found was the best other than gettin kicks.

I've had so many different amps, subs, and speaker combinations so I definately know my shiet, anything from Diamond Audio, Soundstream, XTANT, Sony Mobile ES, RF, Focal, JL, Kicker Solos. PG XMAX sub? Carbon fiber construction? Expensive SPL sub. They def not SQ.