Tinted Windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 12:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinted Windows

I just had my windows tinted, but around the edges where the little dots are the tint wont stick. I had the place redo the all the windows three times already and it has not gotten any better. Has anyone else have this happen? The people say they cant help it it wont stick there but in know thats a bunch of BS. Any sugestions besides get my money back and take it somewhere else?

------------------
1997 2.2 CL
Red ext.
Black Leather int.
Tinted Windows
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Air Filter
Old 06-04-2001, 12:43 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiljaedoen:
I just had my windows tinted, but around the edges where the little dots are the tint wont stick. I had the place redo the all the windows three times already and it has not gotten any better. Has anyone else have this happen? The people say they cant help it it wont stick there but in know thats a bunch of BS. Any sugestions besides get my money back and take it somewhere else?

</font>
Actually they are right the tint wont stick to the little dots. I had a piece of black vinyl put on the top of the back window and it looks great but the sides of the front windows where the dots are is not tinted. They just cut the tint so it wasnt over the dots. Do a search in the car talk forum about the dot matrix and window tinting it was discussed a lot a while back. You had them redo the tint 3 times jeez

------------------
No more scratches thanks to the dumbass who walked on my car and had to pay to have it repainted.
Old 06-04-2001, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep no lie...it really doesnt stick well. It is kind of a chance game...you might get lucky and have it stick well...then there are others that cannot get it to stay no matter what.. Sorry..

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-04-2001, 06:49 PM
JCG
Instructor

Yes, I concur. I had the windows of my 97 CL tinted by Heavenly Bodies in Lower Manhattan - they told me the exact same thing - but I gotta say that did a beautiful job with it. The tint never really peeled bacl from the dots it just did not stick as well.

JCG

------------------
--------------------
1997 Primrose Mist 3.0 CL (No leather!)- PIAA Superwhites, Clear Bumper Lenses
Old 06-04-2001, 07:25 PM
Burning Brakes

That sucks !!! They redid it 3 times for free so i dident really care.
i have the black strip at the top of the back window also. Is there any way to remove the dots like scrapeing them off with a razor blade? i just hate the way it looks from the outside of the car with the air spots around the dots =( i guess thats what i get for being a perfectionist at least when it comes to my vehicles

------------------
1997 2.2 CL
Red ext.
Black Leather int.
Tinted Windows
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Air Filter
Old 06-04-2001, 07:49 PM
Adrienne

Is there any way to remove the dots like scrapeing them off with a razor blade
</font>
I don't think you wanna do that... that's the radio antenna, isn't it?

Old 06-04-2001, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Well from what I hear, the matrix dots are just there to give a little shade. No other reason...I went to many dealers asking them why its there but no one would tell...then I asked the one near by and they said that it is just shade. The radio antenna is actually a brown looking metal that runs in a different pattern from the defrosters.

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-05-2001, 12:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Hmmmmmm...... interesting. Mabey I should try on my sisters 99 altima first to see how they come off =) I have seen cars with the dots and the tint on perfect. Why does everything on this car have to be dificult. I miss my truck. But I dont think id go back

------------------
1997 2.2 CL
Red ext.
Black Leather int.
Tinted Windows
Removed Air Silencer
K&N Air Filter
Old 06-05-2001, 12:44 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
Is there any way to remove the dots like scrapeing them off with a razor blade?
</font>
I know the place i went to sanded them down alot with steel wool im not sure if that would completely remove them though.

------------------
No more scratches thanks to the dumbass who walked on my car and had to pay to have it repainted.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:01 AM
Safety Car

Hmmmmmm...... interesting. Mabey I should try on my sisters 99 altima first to see how they come off =) I have seen cars with the dots and the tint on perfect. Why does everything on this car have to be dificult. I miss my truck. But I dont think id go back

</font>
Actually I know of a lot of cars that are having this problem. It seems like the matrix dots are really getting to be a standard thing...and when they come standard, some companies just put more of them. That is what the tinters are having problems with..the larger matrix sections..

------------------
Tw1112
Old 06-05-2001, 03:30 AM
AWD Torque Monster

if u go to a good tinit place u shouldnt have a prob. mine came out perfect. most places have developeda technique to deal woith this prob. it is usually olny when they rush that u get all the white around the black. i dont know how to tint so i can't tell u how to do it but if u live in jersey i highly reccomend tropic window tinting in union. they do everything vipers, ferraris, vettes, bentleys. etc, and oh yes state troopers.

------------------
1997 Black Acura 2.2 CL
Currently-
PIAAs Everywhere, PIAA 1700X, Custom Grill, Clear Corners, OE Spoiler,
5% Tints (Limo), HKS Super Dragger Exhaust, AEM CAI w/Breather,
Venom 400
Comming Soon-
Headers or Ignition, Front Lip
http://members.home.net/vx16
Old 06-06-2001, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

My buddy who works for a shop tinted it, and had the same problem. He painted the matrix on the back window. Looks like it is just one big black piece.
Old 06-10-2001, 06:37 PM
speed freak

well the top first three lines in the back are the antenna...so u dont want to scrape those off...as far as those dots...they were made somewhat to be like tint without actually having the film tint...thats wat the dealers told me...but hell i put tint on anyway...and sometimes it looks like there are bubbles on mine but it is also cuz of those black bubbles that give me problems...u cant really do much about that...most new cars have that now anyways...

------------------
99 Black 2.3 Acura CL 5-speed
Clarion DRX957Rz,
Crossfire 404s & 1000D,
Diamond Audio M561 w/hex
tweeters, Crystal CXe693, 2 12" Diamond M5 subs in custom sealed box
Matrix intake, R*SR exhaust,
AIM-Chiggacl68
Old 06-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Hum........what next??

When I had my civic tinted I watched the guy and he took a razor and scraped those little dots flat. They didn't come off but they were really smooth. I asked him why he was doing it and he said it was the only way to get the tint to stick w/o those air pockets. It worked too, I had no white areas on my civic.

But be careful! I agree with chiggacl68 if you scrape off the antenna, the only fix is a new rear window.

BTW someone threw a rock through my old '89 prelude rear window, it had an antenna in it along with a regular antenna, it was $1,000 for a new window.

------------------
'97 CL 3.0 Premium (Stock..........for now)
Old 06-11-2001, 05:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts

When mine were tinted my guy sanded the dots down as much as he could, then he tinted over them. I must say it came out pretty awesome.....

------------------
1998 Iced Blue CL 3.0 ** Some mods, but who cares, I want a Type-S!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum
Email: juniorbean@acura-cl.com
Old 06-13-2001, 04:01 PM
10th Gear

I use to tint windows for a living. Using a razor blade is the best way to get the film to stick. Just make sure you clean it afterwards or it will look like sand underneath the film.
Old 06-13-2001, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

also the antenna is embedded in the glass so you cant mess it up.
Mine is done that way and I get great reception.