remove fake wood

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remove fake wood

Anybody removed the "fake-a-wood" dashboard trim? Is it one of those you gotta disassemble the front end jobs? I've got an annoying rubbing sound coming from that piece... seems loose cause when I push in on it - noise goes away. Suggestions and/or help appreciated!
Old 11-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro

i can't get the middle piece off..the biggest one that is right in front of the passenger and goes around the climate control
if anyone knows how to get that piece off plz let me know
Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

ok heres my experience with the wood trim....

i recently installed a new HU and i thoguht i had to remove the whole console and the wood trim to get it in...found out the hard way that i was wrong. well in the process i broke the center wood trim and ended up spending $40+ on a new one.

well the way to get it out is pretty difficult. you first have to remove the whole console to get to the two screws that hold the trim to the cilmate control unit. after you remove the console there are two screws (i think) under the cilmate control unit that keep it in place. look around if i rember correctly its underneath, but it def is accessable if you take out the console. after you do this you have to remove the 3rd screw that is attached to the trim located on top of the glove box...take out the glove box and look inside you can see it sitting right there. take that screw out.

now the hard part....this is what determines if u buy a new trim piece or not....u have to pry the wood trim out of it place....there are no other screws holding it in place but rather "friction clips"...usually these clips are pretty easy to take out but the ones behind the trim are difficult fuckers. i cant think of the perfect way to get these out but maybe someone has input on how to get these out.

..maybe some grease....i dont know...goodluck...if i were you id just live with the rubbing sound.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:05 PM
BigAngryAsian

Originally Posted by shanter
ok heres my experience with the wood trim....

i recently installed a new HU and i thoguht i had to remove the whole console and the wood trim to get it in...found out the hard way that i was wrong. well in the process i broke the center wood trim and ended up spending $40+ on a new one.

well the way to get it out is pretty difficult. you first have to remove the whole console to get to the two screws that hold the trim to the cilmate control unit. after you remove the console there are two screws (i think) under the cilmate control unit that keep it in place. look around if i rember correctly its underneath, but it def is accessable if you take out the console. after you do this you have to remove the 3rd screw that is attached to the trim located on top of the glove box...take out the glove box and look inside you can see it sitting right there. take that screw out.

now the hard part....this is what determines if u buy a new trim piece or not....u have to pry the wood trim out of it place....there are no other screws holding it in place but rather "friction clips"...usually these clips are pretty easy to take out but the ones behind the trim are difficult fuckers. i cant think of the perfect way to get these out but maybe someone has input on how to get these out.

..maybe some grease....i dont know...goodluck...if i were you id just live with the rubbing sound.
That sound right. As for the clips, I started from the far right, pryed CAREFULLY with an upholstry fork, and worked my way to the center of the car. I imagine the skinny bars around the climate control panel will be the most delicate. Just take your time, and keep your cool. Make sure you got all the screws before you start prying too.
Old 11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
nippon_wa 2.0

SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH

http://home.comcast.net/~9delipy/wood.doc
Old 11-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Instructor

thanks

good feedback... sounds like a half-day project... maybe I sould just turn up the stereo or get out the super glue.

thanks again!
Old 11-26-2004, 09:03 AM
CL Fanatic

I'd turn up my stereo but I blew a few speakers..