Question on bypass for AEM CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on bypass for AEM CAI

I was wondering if someone could clarify something for me. I have been told that when a bypass valve is installed on a cold air intake, the intake is not longer a cold air intake. It seems the pressure in the intake chamber is lower when the bypass is installed, thus not making the intake a true cold air intake because a lot of the warm engine air mixes with the cold air from the intake. My question is for those who have the bypass valve. Is there a significant difference with the bypass valve on? Is there a loss of power? Does the benefit of having the bypass out-weigh the performance lost? I am thinking of putting on a bypass valve, but I am undecided. I mean, once the valve is installed, there is no turning back. I could be totally wrong on this, but this is what they are telling me here. Are they F.O.S.? Thx with all your help!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2002, 08:47 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

The way that the bypass valve is designed, it should only open up when the pressure inside the pipe builds up from the intake trying to suck in water. Otherwise, it stays closed and shouldn't make any difference. The reason it is a cold air intake is because it sits closer to the ground and sucks in colder air than what is inside the engine bay. Only way it becomes a short ram is if you were trying to suck in water. Unless there is inherently a slight leak of air through it. I had both installed at the same time, so I don't know the difference, but that sounds like bs to me.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:06 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I remember reading a thread in car talk on this subject by ericL so you might want to look for it. If i remember correctly he basically said that with the bypass installed you loose the gains gained by a CAI over a short ram because it doesnt take much pressure for the bypass to work and the valve created turbulance in the tube. I dont remember all the details but i would def. try and find the thread if i were you. Sorry i cant help more but good luck and welcome to the board
Old 01-31-2002, 09:51 AM
i like chicken

you dont need one unless you drive through water. the cl's have an enclosed fender well where the filter is, so water wont get it unless the well is flooded. little drops of water are good for your engine so dont worry about that.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:28 AM
Intermediate

bypass valve is the biggest waste of money possible. don't drive through lakes and you'll be fine.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rmstoico
you dont need one unless you drive through water. the cl's have an enclosed fender well where the filter is, so water wont get it unless the well is flooded. little drops of water are good for your engine so dont worry about that.
by saying this do u mean its good when ur engine sucks up little drops of water?? i been thinking it will mess it up by making it hader harder to combust in the cylinders???
Old 02-02-2002, 03:12 AM
Cause stock sux.

Everyone has their own opinions. If you check the AEM report page, the bypass will create a loss of 1 HP or so when it is installed. In that respect, I rather give up 1 HP and have a sense of security when driving through puddles.

As AtlCL said, it will still be a CAI for the above mentioned reasons. Only when it is pressurized will it become a modified short ram.

Yes I realize that it won't flood the engine unless I run directly over a large puddle, but it only takes 1 time to lose your whole engine. Rather safe than sorry.

Just IMO.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Hey CanadianCL, it's your fellow Mississauga resident here. Sorry no info from me on the bypass valve, but lemme ask you:

WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR CLEAR CORNER LENSES???

It looks like I'm going to have a hell of a time getting them here, did you find a shop somewhere that could bring them in for you?

Eagerly awaiting,

s-n-g
Old 02-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Don't hate the PLAYA

Dont worry about it too much unless your driving through some deep ass mud puddles or an area that it rains constantly. Us Atl-Cl's dont have to worry about any of that. But with all things you are the final deciding factor so if you want it then get it. :wackit:

Atl CL's where are ya at?????????????????
Old 02-03-2002, 02:04 AM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by Atl-CL
Dont worry about it too much unless your driving through some deep ass mud puddles or an area that it rains constantly. Us Atl-Cl's dont have to worry about any of that. But with all things you are the final deciding factor so if you want it then get it. :wackit:

Atl CL's where are ya at?????????????????
I've seen a few CLs roamin around ATL. I usually try to race the ones the look partially moded. I just don't think the majority know of this site.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:34 AM
Atl/Mia reppin'

yeah he's right. Most don't know it exists. I did see one guy with a black cl over on Sidney Marcus who's on this site...forgot his s/n though
Old 02-03-2002, 02:35 AM
Cause stock sux.

Damn your up late too. Didn't expect to hear a "clink" in my mail box within 30 mins at this hour. Damn I'm hungry...
Old 02-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

What's up show-n-go,

Sorry for the delay, got hammered this weekend and just woke up. N E way, some of the online stores in the states will not process international credit card orders, only via money order. Still, autodynamic.com will process the order even though it is a lot more expensive than Pro carparts. You can get them cheep through ebay, but in the end you still end up paying the taxes when it is shipped across the border. To make a long story short, I just gave in and got them from autodynamic.com. It came up to $80 CDN or so, but that was a while ago when the exchange was better. If you can get someone on this forum who is in DETRIOT or BUFFALO who can get them from you and then drive over and change them over it would be easier. Literally it took me 10 minutes to install. Hope this helps...
Old 02-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

Thanx dude, much appreciated. My late reply is for the same reasons as yours (do you go to Guvvy?). I'll do it through Autodynamics.com then, and probably pick up a generic intake while I'm at it, sans-bypass valve!

Hey if you read this and have a good knowledge of the tranny problems that have plagued our precious car, check out my latest post.

Thanks again dude, cheers

-s-n-g
Old 02-04-2002, 08:37 AM
Not AtlCl98 or Atl-CL

Yea, I must say that there is a decent amount of Cls in Atlanta. Have seen some moded ones, but the majority seem to be stock. You have to wonder how many kids really own Cls. By the way, Atlanta can get some crazy rain and around midtown/morningside lakes develop when it rains. IMO I'd rather have the sense of security that next time it starts pouring, I won't have to get a new engine. The 1 hp loss sucks, but how much of a difference can 1/150+ hp really make? I've definitely hit water that almost reaches that door and my car is not dropped yet.

ATL'ers need to get off our asses one weekend and meet up.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:01 PM
Cause stock sux.

Originally posted by AtlCl
Yea, I must say that there is a decent amount of Cls in Atlanta. Have seen some moded ones, but the majority seem to be stock. You have to wonder how many kids really own Cls. By the way, Atlanta can get some crazy rain and around midtown/morningside lakes develop when it rains. IMO I'd rather have the sense of security that next time it starts pouring, I won't have to get a new engine. The 1 hp loss sucks, but how much of a difference can 1/150+ hp really make? I've definitely hit water that almost reaches that door and my car is not dropped yet.

ATL'ers need to get off our asses one weekend and meet up.
Agreed.