Question To All The CL Drivers With A Remote Car Starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question To All The CL Drivers With A Remote Car Starter

Hey what's going on people...I'm in a dilemma right now...I had a car starter installed on my car before and it made my car just act up...The car starter worked a couple of times and then after that my car would go crazy...It would make my engine putter and all that stuff...I eventually got it uninstalled and everything was okay...I then had problems with my car and got the head gasket replaced due to a blown head gasket...I am thinking that was my problem in the 1st place and the car starter just made it worse...I am debating on putting another car starter in my vehicle and just want some opinions on this...If any of you have had problems with a car starter then please post and let me know...I appreciate anybody who posts their thoughts...Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Skuuuurrrrrt!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My friend has a car starter on his Scion. It's pretty sweet and a good way to warm up the car before you get in. She doesn't have any problems with it at all. I can't speak about it on first gen CLs though. I don't see how it would mess up your car. It was probably just your head gasket, you should be fine.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GhettoNinja06
My friend has a car starter on his Scion. It's pretty sweet and a good way to warm up the car before you get in. She doesn't have any problems with it at all. I can't speak about it on first gen CLs though. I don't see how it would mess up your car. It was probably just your head gasket, you should be fine.
Kool...I just wanna know if any body with a 1st Gen CL has had any problems...I have 1998 by the way...Thanks for your input though..
Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 PM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i have a 97 with a compustar alarm/starter and it seems fine on my car, doen't run differetly at all. But my car is a little different than yours since 97's don't have immobilizers. But i don't think that the starter could have caused any engine problems, that makes no sense to me
Old 01-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Instructor

These were my initial problems like a year ago.. "Hi guys..I just got a Remote Car Starter (Avital 4200) installed on my car...I am having a problem with the starter now and want to see if you guys know what it can be..When they started my car with the remote car starter at the place it started up fine and everything and it drove smooth..I went to Advanced Auto to get something real quick and when I got out I started it with the key and it acted weird but then I drove and it was smooth...So I'm home and I start it with the key again,then start to take off and then it acts weird and starts to make a puttin sound and jerks a little and the check engine light blinks, then comes on and stays lit...So I stop the car,turn it off and then start it back up using the remote starter and it starts up like it usually did before it was installed,then I drive and it drives fine but check engine light stays on..I am bringing it back to the installed tomorrow but they said they have no idea what it can be...Does anybody know what could be happening..If you need any more info please just post in here and I will answer..This is just really bugging me out a little bit..Thank you very much..You guys are always a really good help to people.."
Old 01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,477 Likes on 3,070 Posts
if your head gasket was blown, that sounds like the problem, no harm in trying it again
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
I have a Clifford on my 01 CLS no problems. Sorry you are having a problem, if it started when the starter was installed I'd take it back to the shop that installed it.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
if your head gasket was blown, that sounds like the problem, no harm in trying it again
It probably was that..I'm just scared though..LoL..I don't want any more problems..
Old 01-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
i have a viper alarm system starter on my CL, and it worked fine although it needs to be adjusted some because it doesnt start all the time lol. Never hurt the engine itself, even after my swap. I'd say go for it
Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 AM
cool breeze

go for it +1
got a viper 7900/remote start on the cl, works good,but it's a auto

had remote start on my h22 98 civic, i hooked up a magnetic kill switch to the linkage on the trans, so if the car was in anything but neutral it wouldn't start, same thing would work on a cl cause they use the same shifter linkage as the h22. just me but if i hook up a remote start on a manual car i'd like a kill switch just in case i leave it in gear
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced

I also have the viper alarm w/ remote start installed on my car. did the install myself. to me it would sound like that was all issues with the head gasket. but just for some info i hooked my remote start up to a voltage output check instead of at the tach. only gripe about my setup is that my climate controls ( or radio) dont cut on when the car does so it dosent start circulating the warm air until i get in and put the key in the ingnition
Old 01-25-2009, 01:31 PM
cool breeze

Originally Posted by s10httnswtchs
I also have the viper alarm w/ remote start installed on my car. did the install myself. to me it would sound like that was all issues with the head gasket. but just for some info i hooked my remote start up to a voltage output check instead of at the tach. only gripe about my setup is that my climate controls ( or radio) dont cut on when the car does so it dosent start circulating the warm air until i get in and put the key in the ingnition
i've seen that on older cars, my bro's 91 ef does that, the cl's comes on and i didn't get a chance to check the 98 civic
Old 01-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Instructor

I was planning on probably getting the Python 872P....I'm appreciating all the feedback...Thanks to all who replied..

Last edited by Diplomat2387; 01-26-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Because you forgot to hook up second accessory... and on our cars (at least the 2.2), there is a 2 pin rubbery tach test connector by the cruise control. Easy place to grab it and you will get reliable starts. Voltage sucks in my opinion... the only voltage that seems alright is the new VirtualTach that DEI has. Seems to work pretty reliably in the 15 or so I have installed that way. Also, if you can't find that test connector (it is wrapped in blue tape), you can just tap tach at an injector, use whichever wire color is UNcommon between the injectors.

Edit: and by cruise control, i mean the actual device under the hood, not the button.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Advanced

yea im gonna install a window roll up module soon so ill hook up the second accessory then. It hasnt bothered me so far because i would forget to leave climate controls on when i got out the car anyways. Ive not had any problems with my starting on tach so far... even on the coldest mornings it starts just fine (knock on wood). now just got to wire up my trunk release. none of my best buy buddies know how...
Old 01-27-2009, 01:24 AM
For Life

yea im gonna install a window roll up module soon so ill hook up the second accessory then. It hasnt bothered me so far because i would forget to leave climate controls on when i got out the car anyways. Ive not had any problems with my starting on tach so far... even on the coldest mornings it starts just fine (knock on wood). now just got to wire up my trunk release. none of my best buy buddies know how...
simple youll need a relay for it though. and follow this website http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...564V_07-05.pdf

good luck with it

EDIT: ive had a common remote start for over a year on an auto with ZERO problems with it. maybe i got lucky and did something right? oh yea my radio and ac comes on with the car so maybe you wired something wrong?

Last edited by Blind_Shooter; 01-27-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
6spd FTW

Yeah trunk release was easy as shit on our car. The wires are right under the pass seat with the rest, I just used the 451M my viper came with and used one half of it. If you have a 451M lying around, hook the tiny red wire to 12v, blue to 2nd channel or trunk release output, and if I remember correctly Brown/black goes to the security brain and blue/black goes towards the trunk. You must cut the trunk release wire. I don't remember the wire color but it is a heavier gauge, something like 12awg - just test for power pulsing with the trunk release on the remote first then cut it and see if it stops working.. if it does, there you go. I want to say it was like a red with a green stripe... been over a year since i have seen it though. Also, the trunk output on a DEI alarm is generally Red/white. I would list how to do it with a normal relay but I don't have one handy at the moment to give the pin numbers... I always forget.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

I have remote car starter with a alarm in my acura 99 CL2.3. It seems fine.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
since the topic was brought up, did you guys have any issues with the remote starter and the factory alarm? I recall that some cars reacted badly to the starter.

I ask since I've got an old remote starter from my last car still sitting around gathering dust while I figure out how to go about the install.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 AM
CL in lawnmower status

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes they will act badly if not installed/programmed correctly. mine was done by my buddy and those things are what he does for his job, so it's pretty professional. And after a few programming things he did after it was installed the alarm/starter works with the factory alarm so it doesn't have any problems
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Advanced

so im in the process of redoing my whole steroe system. Running new rcas and power wire. while im in there im gonna fix the problems with my remote start. Ive already hooked up the acessory wires for the ac and radio so thats fixed.. still stuck on the trunk release. I need to know the exact wire for the trunk release. I dont have the factory key fob so i cant push the button and look for the 12v signal.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

see my other thread lol
Old 06-16-2009, 11:51 AM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i have the viper 2 way alarm with autostart on a 5 speed, its great for winter for instant heat when you get in... and great in summer for instant ac...
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
6spd FTW

so im in the process of redoing my whole steroe system. Running new rcas and power wire. while im in there im gonna fix the problems with my remote start. Ive already hooked up the acessory wires for the ac and radio so thats fixed.. still stuck on the trunk release. I need to know the exact wire for the trunk release. I dont have the factory key fob so i cant push the button and look for the 12v signal.
What year is your car

Edit: here you go, link to the thread I made with just about all the wiring info you would need; https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/cl-wire-colors-locations-721634/
Old 06-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Instructor

when i got my remote start installed it was working fine..
a week or two later i had similar probs where it would putter and turn off ...
didnt look healthy..just turned out it was the tach monitoring or w/e not calibrated correctly.. took it to the installers..they fixed it in like 5mins..