optima battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:44 PM
AWD Torque Monster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
optima battery

i got a red top optima battery cuz im gettign pulleys soon so i just wanted to be safe. well it is awesome. 830cca compared to the dam stock 550cca. my car starts right up. plus at idle im reading 14.7-14.9 volts instead of 14.2. not to mention that with the car off the battery it self is holding 13 volts. so if u ever replace ur battery i highly back optima. i got it cuz it charges fast so thats a plus with aem pullies, but now i like how my car starts much nicer.
Old 08-12-2001, 12:15 PM
Pro

where can I get one?
Old 08-12-2001, 08:34 PM
AWD Torque Monster

i got mine from carparts.com before jc whitney took over. i used a 20% off coupon and got it for 100 +30 shipping. alot of places caryy optima batteries
Old 08-12-2001, 09:01 PM
Pro

Did you do the install yourself? If so how diffucult was it, was it a direct fit?
Old 08-12-2001, 09:25 PM
Retired Post Whore

Im about to install my pulleys in my car soon in about 2 weeks, I just wanted to know which optima battery is better the yellow or red one? I have a system in my car too.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:45 AM
AWD Torque Monster

the battery is the same size except the height it is an 1" shorter. i modified the battery post things. i cut them shirter and rebent them. also the red top is better for starting ur car. teh yelloe is more for running ur system with the car off. i woudl get the red top. 830cca. the yellow is still powerful enought to start ur car though. call optima and talk to them. <A HREF="http://www.optimabatteries.com" TARGET=_blank> www.optimabatteries.com[/url]
red top

SLI Batteries
In any vehicle or equipment that will use the battery only for Starting, Lighting, & Ignition requirements and has a properly working alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top™ Starting Battery will perform extremely well, often providing up to two to three times longer life than conventional batteries. If the vehicle has few or no after-market accessories and uses a stock or upgraded alternator, the OPTIMA Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice.
Remember, it is possible for the customer to have a completely discharged Red Top OPTIMA that will not start their engine; the advantages of the Red Top are that it can accept a rapid recharge and it will recover from discharge many more times.

To provide the customer the best OPTIMA solution, it is, necessary to consider both the application and the charging system before recommending the correct OPTIMA. For example, if your customer has a Ford Expedition with an after-market alarm system, which OPTIMA would you recommend? If the customer drives the car every day, the Red Top would be the correct choice, since the amperage drain will be nominal and the battery would be recharged on a daily basis. However, if the customer stores the vehicle for a long period of time with the alarm system engaged, you should recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top, since the amperage drain over several weeks would damage a Red Top and reduce its life.

yellow top

The OPTIMA Yellow Top™ Deep Cycle Battery should be used in the following cases:

Starting applications in high-accessory vehicles/High Cycling Applications. Vehicles with computers, extra radios, electronic components, lights, winches, etc. will create excessive amperage drain that can damage a starting battery. Recommend the OPTIMA Yellow Top to provide fast recharging and longer life due to its' ability to cycle over 300 times.

Starting applications with low amperage draws. If your customer has a vehicle that sits unused for long periods of time, either OPTIMA will provide longer life due to reduced corrosion and sulfation. However, if the vehicle has an alarm, computer, or other low amperage drain, the Yellow Top will guard against deep cycling damage that can occur over long periods of time.

To increase Reserve Capacity or Run Time. You must first identify how long the customer needs to use the battery to run a vehicle, accessory, or motor before without recharging. Each OPTIMA Yellow Top Deep Cycle Battery is rated at 120 minutes of Reserve Capacity at a 25 Amp draw. If your customer is planning on using their OTPIMA in a trolling motor that pulls 50 Amps, they will only get 60 minutes of run time. If they require more run time you need to install multiple batteries in parallel. It is important to understand what the customer expects in order to provide them with the correct OPTIMA solution.

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: VXCL ]
Old 08-13-2001, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Funny, but they claim not to have an application for the 3.0 when I went to their website......
Old 08-13-2001, 06:08 PM
AWD Torque Monster

nah their thing didnt work for me either. they even have an orange top. n e ways. call them. they will tell u what u need. im sure u got the battery as me. if not it cant be too diff
Old 08-24-2001, 01:03 AM
Cruisin'

Optima has a new battery with the posts reversed for Honda/Acura 4Cylinder FWD applications (Prelude, 2.2CL/2.3CL).

It's called the Orange top, and is actually the same internally as the Red top but has no side terminals, and more importantly the terminals are the right way around so the battery cables will reach properly. Only need to put a heavy rubber spacer (like a door mat) under the Optima to put its top at the same height as the stock battery. The Orange top is relatively new on the market so you'll have to look around for an Optima dealer that is willing to order one for you.

The Red top is what I use in my 3.0CL, and since the battery is on the drivers side, the posts are the correct way around. Still have to put a spacer under it, and trim the peep-hole for the origional battery's "eye".

FWIW, the Optima uses AGM construction which contains the acid within a fiberglass sheet that's sandwiched between the lead plates. This design makes it more powerful than a flooded cell battery of the same size, resistant to vibration and 99.9% leak proof.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:14 AM
Burning Brakes

wow and i thought it was just a battery