OK, radio install Stumped me! DIN Bracket doesn't stay...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 11:00 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, radio install Stumped me! DIN Bracket doesn't stay...

I was expecting a much easier intall on this aftermarket stereo. What I got was a 4 hour nightmare that left me reassembling the dash in the dark and re-connecting my factory stereo to either try it all over again or give in to the stereo intall company vampires.
The DIN metal bracket wouldn't mount in place correctly and there was no way the stock lower pocket was going to work with it. I didn't have one of those ugly front face panels that fills the space below but I doubt that would have helped. If you were wondering why my entire lower dash was dissasembled, I thought I could get to the rear section easier by doing that. What a pain.
I didn't get anything done that I was going to do.
I have a new shift knob and shift boot that was going to go in but I didn't have time to do that, plus it takes alot of trimming and messing with to get it in place.
I couldn't install the new emergency brake handle either cause our handle is about 1/16 inch thicker than conventional e-brake handles so the new one won't slide on!.

Acura really made sure to take all the fun out of their cars, they want you to be happy with just stock parts and Acura performance parts!

D#$%^, just had to vent.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:19 PM
Racer

Hey that Din metal bracket, is that the same one that you took off of the stock unit.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:37 PM
Midnight Marauder

There is no braket on the stock one that I could see. I'm talking about the thin metal "sleeve" that you mount first and then slide the aftermarket unit into and it clicks in. There are no frames or arms to hold the stereo unit in place, just a big, empty slot, and when i put the stock pocket onto the sleeve in the way that it looks like it is supposed to go, the unit doesn't slide into the din sleeve anymore!
The stock unit is screwed into a small metal bar at the back by two small screws, but the aftermaket one doesn't have any holes to re-use those screws so it just rests up aginst it which is hardly good enough to hold the unit in place.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Racer

Ok here is what you do:

Through out that metal bracket that you were using.

Then take that matal one off of the stock unit. Take note of how it was sitting in the dash.

After you take that off, turn it backwards and use AC aluminum tape to hold in place. Just make sure not to put any tape on top of the unit because it will heat up if you do.

Check out a pic that I have.

My Photos
Old 08-15-2001, 05:53 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,197 Likes on 695 Posts
I finally ordered the pocket to get rid of the ugly crutchfield kit i had. I basically did what Kik did but i used the bottom mouting piece from the crutchfield kit. I used some electrical tape to keep the pocket from moving and put it all back together. I tried to use the bracket from the acura tape player but it didnt work. This worked really well and looks so much better. Now if my wood kit I ordered on the 28th would ever get here. grrrrr
Old 08-15-2001, 06:20 PM
Midnight Marauder

OK, so did you completely dissassemble the dash and center console or did you just pop out the trim piece around the radio and unscrew the two bottom bolts that you can see way in the back?
I don't feel like taking the whole thing apart again until I know exactly how to do it.

So the tape you have holds the stereo to the rear bracket? and it also holds the pocket onto the stereo?
It doesn't move around in the dash any? It is secure even when you push/pull on it etc?
Thanks.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:37 PM
Racer

Ya just take the trim off and the to bolts and it should just pop right out.

the bracket and head unit are taped but the box isn't. You can if you want but I found it easier to put it all back if it is not taped.

If you just slip the box under the unit it should stay in place while driving, I never had a problem with it. Its not going to be so tight that you have to pull hard to get the box out, just light pulling presure and it comes out.

I hope that this has helped.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:55 PM
Midnight Marauder

Thanks all. I'm going to give it the old college 2nd try...