Mounting amplifier in trunk...ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008 | 10:18 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Mounting amplifier in trunk...ideas?

So I've got my huge ass xtant amp, and I'm looking for ideas on how to mount it. There's no way I'm going to mount it on the trunk floor, because the thing is goliath and would take up most of the space with the sub box. Could you guys throw out your amp mount setups/ideas?

In addition, how do you keep your sub box from slipping around? Is there some kind of velcro you can use?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:30 AM
Racer

i just mounted my amp to the back of my box, and picked up some l brackets from the hardware store to mount my subs.

just put them on the top of the box and bend them a little bit to form to the slant of your back seat. works really good, they dont move at all, on top of that, it makes it a lot more of a pain in the ass for any thieves.
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I used velcro and it kept my box planted, infact zerocl is still using the same velcro to this day and as far as I know the box still sits good. Just need the rough end to match up on the carpet. As for the amp, don't mount it to the speaker box, I usually tell most people to mount to the back of the seats, that's where I'm building my amp rack off of
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:34 AM
Racer

blacks ideas probably a lot better. either works.
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:44 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I used velcro and it kept my box planted, infact zerocl is still using the same velcro to this day and as far as I know the box still sits good. Just need the rough end to match up on the carpet. As for the amp, don't mount it to the speaker box, I usually tell most people to mount to the back of the seats, that's where I'm building my amp rack off of

That's exactly what I was planning to do

what kind of velcro did you use? links? I saw some industrial 4" wide velcro on ebay, debating on getting that

and the 'mounting amp to the box' idea is moot, since the xtant amp I have is nearly 2 feet long and I only have a single 12 box lol

but yeah I was planning on velcro'ing the amp to the back of the seat, but was wondering how to hide wires?
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fliplyricist1

what kind of velcro did you use? links? I saw some industrial 4" wide velcro on ebay, debating on getting that

and the 'mounting amp to the box' idea is moot, since the xtant amp I have is nearly 2 feet long and I only have a single 12 box lol

but yeah I was planning on velcro'ing the amp to the back of the seat, but was wondering how to hide wires?
youre going to have a really hard time hiding wires if you want to do something at least semi basic. the best you could probably do without completely ripping apart your back seat, would just be to mount the amp in a such a position that the wires, or at least a lot of them, were behind the box.
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Velcro I just bought some from home depot... still going strong 5 years later.

To hide the wires, there is a slit in the carpet back by the shock tower, that's where all my wires are run. That's also where my ground is, since I ground right to the shock tower.

See where they come out of the corner? Ignore the RCA that was a temporary tuck, but you get the idea, my power is tucked behind the carpet on driver side, RCA on left behind carpet.

Just mount the amp so the power terms are facing that direction and run the wires out should only see an inch or 2 since the amp's so large, not to mention, you can then tuck the speaker wires and possibly even the amp behind the box, depending on where you're positioning it
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

as for the securing thing I have an MDF plate screwed into the chassis and the sub box is drilled into that. . . and as for the amp, ive always had mine mounted on the box. . . now though its literally a part of the box
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:33 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

good stuff man thanks a bunch!! Yeah my amp right now is on the opposite side (passenger) but I think I'm going to run it over on the drivers side for ease (plus more power/ground wire to work with)

thanks again
Old 04-22-2008 | 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 04-22-2008 | 02:40 PM
6th Gear

Just get industrial strength velcro for the bottom of the box, and one or two bolts to brace it. Mounting the amp to the back of the trunk seems best if you want it hidden, or down in the spare well
Old 04-22-2008 | 04:14 PM
Ballin' on a budget

Bump: I'm setting mine up friday.
Old 04-22-2008 | 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

my amp is mounted to the left side of my box. I got ports coming out of the top so i cant do that. and with the sides, the wires are facing me, not good but the controls are also there so at least i can easily adjust anything. right now im using bungie cord to tie mine down. I hook it to the chassis. there is a little slide but not too bad. i dont want to do velcro because it seems a little too permanent, the velcro wouldnt come off of the box or my trunk liner.
Old 04-22-2008 | 08:17 PM
Racer

i just stick the aamp on top of the box.. then you stick the box all the way to the back, you then get a L shaped thing and screw it to the box, then screw the L shaped thing to the back of the back of the trunk.. you will prob need to drill into that metal.. works great, i only got 1 L shaped thing holding it back and it never falls or anything plus i still have easy access to the spare tires
Old 04-22-2008 | 08:18 PM
Racer

yeah some boxes might not fit completely to the back of the trunk since theres 2 metal thingys in the way
Old 04-22-2008 | 10:02 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

azn: your setup works just fine

In a way it kinda makes me wish I got a dual 12 box instead of a single, but I really didn't want to sacrafice the trunk space (but in retrospect it's really not much) so that I could mount the amp on the back of the box.

Only problem with the amp is that it's an old school competition amp which requires for the chrome top to be removed to do anything to it (wiring, crossovers, gains...everything)...so I pretty much have to get everything setup perfectly before I mount it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the velcro idea...but as stated above, I'm kinda weary on how hard it'll be to remove it off either the carpet or the bottom of the amp when needed : /
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Nice bungee cord I had an air force bungee holding my last amp to the last amp, after I blew the one in the pic above. whoa whoa whoa. Use velcro on the box not the amp. Mount the amp with screws to a piece of MDF on the back of the seat or something, DO NOT put velcro on the amp that would be a huge pain to take off
Old 04-22-2008 | 11:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Nice bungee cord I had an air force bungee holding my last amp to the last amp, after I blew the one in the pic above. whoa whoa whoa. Use velcro on the box not the amp. Mount the amp with screws to a piece of MDF on the back of the seat or something, DO NOT put velcro on the amp that would be a huge pain to take off
agreed. along with that, gravity wouldnt be so friendly. amp=heavy, and having it vertical may not work out so well.
Old 04-23-2008 | 01:08 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

gotcha

yeah that probably works out better

how thick of mdf do you think could fit behind the carpet on the rear seat?
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:01 AM
Suzuka Master

haha i know it looks stupid. i changed it from the 2 piece you see to a 1 piece "fatmax" adjustable cord. so its just the right length and its wider/flat so its better than the round kind. oh and its orange now instead of yellow. it does the job and i keep a screwdriver in the car so all i have to do is remove the power/ground cables and i have easy/fast access to my spare incase i need it in a emergency or even remove it so i can temporarily transport large items in a bind. gotta think ahead.

its 2 10s not 12s. But they're 800 watts max with a 1k watt amp so its plenty for me. I dont like hearing my truck rattle when i drive by people.
Old 04-23-2008 | 02:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

So basically if you mount the Xtant to the box it will look like a airplane! I used to sell thoes Xtant's, Nice and shiney!
I have a JBL GTI 10 inch in a ported box, and a JBL BP1200.1 wich is really square mounted right on top of the box. I know it's not ideal but I did not want to drill into the back seat. I think I'll look into what some of you guys are saying for mounting an amp. My biggest worry right now is a flat tire. Then I'd have to unplug everything to get the box out to get to the spare tire! That's why I carry a can of Fix A Flat!!!
Old 04-23-2008 | 08:42 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

^^ hahaha

that jbl amp is beast Yeah I've got a 3300x, basically a 5 channel Xtant amp. Real old school, but yeah...I'm after sq these days, and doesnt hurt that the face polish matches my rims. I just wish it didn't scratch so easy I suppose I could temporarily mount one side of the amp via screws to the top of the 12" box, but then there'd be another 8 inches or so of amp hanging off the side, since the mounting screws on the amp are only at the corners : /

So I guess it's all about placing an mdf board in between the backseat and the carpet. I just need to know what thickness I should get
Old 04-23-2008 | 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

There's not a ton of room behind the carpets, but there's enough for mdf, I'd say either 1/2" or 3/4" around me it's easier to find 3/4 which is what I made my 6x9 spacers with, but if you can find 1/2" that'd be ideal. Just enough to support it, 1/2" would give you a low enough profile to not mess with the carpet
Old 04-23-2008 | 11:24 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

^^ thanks man

I think I'll hit up home depot today and see what I can find
Old 04-23-2008 | 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^ hahaha

that jbl amp is beast Yeah I've got a 3300x, basically a 5 channel Xtant amp. Real old school, but yeah...I'm after sq these days, and doesnt hurt that the face polish matches my rims. I just wish it didn't scratch so easy I suppose I could temporarily mount one side of the amp via screws to the top of the 12" box, but then there'd be another 8 inches or so of amp hanging off the side, since the mounting screws on the amp are only at the corners : /

So I guess it's all about placing an mdf board in between the backseat and the carpet. I just need to know what thickness I should get
I hear ya! I'd like a better SQ sub. That GTI bangs really hard, but musically challenged. I was thinking about maybe going with a old school Soundstream Exact 10, or a Focal polyglass sub. Just have to much other stuff to buy for the ride first.
Good luck with the MDF. I keep an eye out for your finished product.
Old 04-23-2008 | 11:47 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

wow, both those subs you mentioned = incredible

I just got a dls mw12 reference, but I think I may have to resell as the xtant may have a hard time pushing it. At this point I'm kinda interested in trying out an image dynamics idq, but it's a bit more spendy than my 'bargain budget' allows at this point.

I'll keep this thread updated on my progress
Old 04-23-2008 | 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just got a dls mw12 reference, but I think I may have to resell as the xtant may have a hard time pushing it. At this point I'm kinda interested in trying out an image dynamics idq, but it's a bit more spendy than my 'bargain budget' allows at this point.

I'll keep this thread updated on my progress
You know, I was even thinking about a pair of Xtant X104's. Pretty well priced for a budget. I just don't think I can bring myself to put a pair in, for weight reasons. And the Xtants are heavy! I'd like the Image subs 2, but as you said pricey!
Old 04-23-2008 | 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Old 04-24-2008 | 07:29 AM
Ballin' on a budget

Is there a photo thread for sound systems? if not, requesting one...
Old 04-24-2008 | 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

No, there's a forum for them in off topic
Old 04-25-2008 | 10:44 PM
Advanced

i mounted my amp in front of the sub box i couldnt mount it bhind the box not enuff room.. but i put it frnt and made it part of my display looks realli nice itsjus really hard to put stuff in the trunk...