Lighting Opinions/Legality

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 05:30 PM
-iii-(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lighting Opinions/Legality

Hey guys, since I'm getting clears, I am torn between the amber bulbs and blue ones. Any PA people know if blue is legal? Also what are your guys opinions as per blue versus amber on a black car?
Old 01-31-2002, 05:38 PM
Advanced

I've had clear corners with the bluish-white (hyper white) bulbs for two years, and I've never had any problems with them. I've been pulled over for no front license plate several times, which shows that cops around here are picky, but they never said anything about the clear corners or bulbs.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:53 PM
-iii-(

yeah i know about the cops out there, i was out at Cal State Fullerton this summer with a bunch of people and we each got about 5 parking tickets for a half hour parking and when we got back to our cars, there was a cop there yellin at us. We appealed and they let it go but it was a pain in our collective asses. I miss cali because there's no snow and therefore no salt to mess up our paint. And because of IN-N-OUT burger. Any brands of hyper whites better or worse than the others (which look most like real HID) for turn signals and for headlights??
Old 01-31-2002, 06:17 PM
Midnight Marauder

Hyperwhites are OK. You shouldn't have any problems because of the color. If they are BLUE lights then yeah, they are illegal.

Yellow is OK too, takes a little bit more for a cop to think through the process and determine something is wrong if they see yellow or amber bulbs. White attracts attention because there are no other cars on the road with them stock.

What is illegal is the lack of an amber reflectoron the front sides of the car. When you have the stocks on they incorporated the reflector in there. You'll notice that cars that have clear front casings have small plastic reflectors on the side too.
This is the only issue that is illegal. I have yellows in there so at night they shine yellow already, less chance of a cop noticing that they don't reflect.

Hope this helps.

1genCL, can we put this in the sticky up top?
always get this ??
Old 01-31-2002, 06:21 PM
Advanced

Thats funny you mention that about Cal-State Fullerton. I attend college there, and the parking patrol are bastards. They're always on the prowl; I've gotten several tickets when I forgot my permit (I was only parked for like an hour each time.)

About the lights though, I forgot what brand mine are. But I remember I had to replace a burned out bulb with a different brand than I bought before, and there wasn't much difference between the new and old. I don't think the brands differ that much, at least for clear-corners and turn signals. I don't know about the headlights.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NOMAD
Hyperwhites are OK. You shouldn't have any problems because of the color. If they are BLUE lights then yeah, they are illegal.

Yellow is OK too, takes a little bit more for a cop to think through the process and determine something is wrong if they see yellow or amber bulbs. White attracts attention because there are no other cars on the road with them stock.

What is illegal is the lack of an amber reflectoron the front sides of the car. When you have the stocks on they incorporated the reflector in there. You'll notice that cars that have clear front casings have small plastic reflectors on the side too.
This is the only issue that is illegal. I have yellows in there so at night they shine yellow already, less chance of a cop noticing that they don't reflect.

Hope this helps.

1genCL, can we put this in the sticky up top?
always get this ??
i'll open the faq for the first gen again, and you can write it in. it'll be at the top of the page... yet again until about tomorrow.
please put a link to it into your sig. any other questions.. you know how to get a hold of me.

Old 01-31-2002, 08:05 PM
What can I get ya?

I have the blue turn signals and they are illegal. They made me take them out when I got my car inspected. They were right back in when I got home though. :P
Old 01-31-2002, 11:45 PM
-iii-(

ok so let me get this clear (or amber) The stock bulbs under the stock amber lenses are Clear or Amber? I thought i remembered reading it somewhere but i forget. And when i said blue, I did mean hyperwhite plazma super ultra hyper xenon whatever bulbs, not the blue jauns. How many more posts until i lose this damn NEWBIE status? thanks for the help so far
Old 02-01-2002, 08:45 AM
CAFFEINE SLAVE

Originally posted by Blacura
ok so let me get this clear (or amber) The stock bulbs under the stock amber lenses are Clear or Amber?
Stock bulbs are clear with the stock amber corners. If you get the clear corners you can put in yellow, amber, or hypers for bulbs
Old 02-01-2002, 11:18 AM
Midnight Marauder

How many more posts until i lose this damn NEWBIE status?
NEVER!

No really, look, you are already an "Ex-Newbie"
Old 02-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

ok so let me get this clear (or amber) The stock bulbs under the stock amber lenses are Clear or Amber? I thought i remembered reading it somewhere but i forget. And when i said blue, I did mean hyperwhite plazma super ultra hyper xenon whatever bulbs, not the blue jauns. How many more posts until i lose this damn NEWBIE status? thanks for the help so far
well it gets extended every time you ask. hahahaha...... permanent n00b!

jfwy
Old 02-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Drifting

i have stock lights with my clears and it flashes orange.....anyone else using stocks? i too thought the stock and amber were pretty much the same.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:44 PM
1st gen CL ROCKS!!!

I have clear corners with the stock bulbs too.
They flash yellowish.
The looks the best during day time because amber or blue bulb will make the reflector turns amber/blue too. Yuck!