K Sport Coilover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Cleanest white cl in LA``

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K Sport Coilover Questions

im confused.. someone told me not to compress the spring with the 2 ring perches. is this true? I thought that was to make the springs stiffer and the dampening would be for shock absorption.. and of course the last ring perch + the adjustable tube is for ride height...

now my friend reccently told me the 2 rings for the spring are to remain untouched as compressing them will wear the set up rapidly. and the bottom ring and its tube are for ride height and the knob at the top would jus be used to stiffen the car not the springs.

Bottom line..

-The spring was compressed using the 2 ring perches under the spring.

-The ride height was decided using the single ring perch in combination with its adjustable tube.

-Is it bad to have the spring compressed with the 2 ring perches. I was told this may damage the shock thus voiding the warranty

-If so how do I adjust and calibrate the coilovers properly?
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM

anyone? i kno a couple of people here have coilovers in general
Old 07-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Mmmm...

I told you... Don't compress the spring. I promise you, however low you wanna go, that spring doesn't need to be compressed. I'm pretty low and I have a LOT of room left to lower the tube. Just touch the collar to the spring, like I said, NO COMPRESSION, and tighten the second one to that one. Then the third is to adjust the ride height.

Bottom line:

Even if your friend is right, that it'll wear them out quicker, you don't need to compress them because they'll go as low as you want without compression. Plus, it'd be waaaaaaaaaaaaaayy to stiff. You'd prolly die
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah you just tighten the two perches so that the spring is snug in place...you never compress the springs, as it'll change your preload and totally mess up the ride

only thing you have to mess with is the height perch and of course turning the entire shock body for height adjustment
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are coilovers with 2 collars and then there are ones with 3, the ones with 3 are superior since you can just set the preload and adjust the shock body. The ones that only use 2 collars (tein SS for example), you have to adjust the length of the spring to adjust height, which is not always optimal since you are changing the preload and the compression on the spring.

As for the K-sports (which have 3 collars) the top two collars are for preloading the spring, you adjust height by using the 3rd collar and shortening/lengthening the shock body. A good rule of thumb to preload your springs is to spin the top collar until it touches the spring, then do five full rotations. Lock it in place using the 2nd collar and then set to desired height using the shock body/3rd collar.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:22 AM

alright thx so much guys! klepto ur post was awesome and helped alot wit the tips. im lookin forward to fixing my coilovers soon
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 AM
Staggered 1st Gen

interesting on the 5 turn theory? just curious where you got that info from klep? Never really heard of that before, but if its optimal, I think I want to do it
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,428 Likes on 3,033 Posts
That explains why my damn omnis were so stiff
Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Mmmm...

Originally Posted by fliplyricist1
interesting on the 5 turn theory? just curious where you got that info from klep? Never really heard of that before, but if its optimal, I think I want to do it

Thats just a good starting point to get your height. It gives it a slight drop - not nearly low enough for me. I'm at about 10 turns past the first 5 :-)... maybe more I don't remember.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I'm still confused, what do you turn? The shock body? I thought the collar under the spring was for raising the height up and down?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take a look at the pic. You'll see two collars on the bottom part of the spring. Then you'll see a third collar on the other orange part of the lower shock body. That entire piece is threaded and is where you spin to get your ride height. Then you lock it down with the collar. This is a really sweet set up. I just put these on my Accord last weekend.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Mmmm...

See the three collars? Two of them are by the spring, the other one is touching the tube. The top two are to hold the spring in place... You tighten them against each other. The bottom one you tighten to the tube. The tube and the bottom one are how you adjust the ride height. You can screw in the collar and tube more to have a lower car, or unscrew it for more height. See the remaining threads? I am 5.5 inches off the ground and there's still PLENTY of room to go lower, meaning that you don't need to compress the spring at all. Period.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I'm still confused, what do you turn? The shock body? I thought the collar under the spring was for raising the height up and down?
only if you're using coilovers that have two collars (i.e. Tein SS) With coilovers that have 3 collars, you use the last, bottom most (3rd) collar to adjust the shock body length and thus the ride height

Not sure where I remember hearing it. I could be wrong, but that's what I've used and it worked out fine for me. Perhaps you guys can email k-sport themselves and see what they recommend
Old 07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Originally Posted by CLpwner
Thats just a good starting point to get your height. It gives it a slight drop - not nearly low enough for me. I'm at about 10 turns past the first 5 :-)... maybe more I don't remember.
nah, he/I are referring to the preload collar, the one that goes right underneath the spring and holds it...
Old 07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Originally Posted by CLpwner
See the three collars? Two of them are by the spring, the other one is touching the tube. The top two are to hold the spring in place... You tighten them against each other. The bottom one you tighten to the tube. The tube and the bottom one are how you adjust the ride height. You can screw in the collar and tube more to have a lower car, or unscrew it for more height. See the remaining threads? I am 5.5 inches off the ground and there's still PLENTY of room to go lower, meaning that you don't need to compress the spring at all. Period.

haha, I have less than a finger gap of visible thread in the rear : / gotta love ksports/d2's for ease of height adjustability though
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

haha, I have less than a finger gap of visible thread in the rear : / gotta love ksports/d2's for ease of height adjustability though
So wait, I can't see your guys' pics at work, you're saying the very bottom one is used for adjustment? so you screw the whole lower piece along the shock? I was under the impression that by moving the spring up and down (what my chasis shop guy showed me was the way to lower/raise, based on the height of the spring) Wow that's totally not how I did my omnis... So that would explain why there is a gap of grease on the left ones at the bottom, right?

So you're tellin me that you have to adjust the very bottom one? Man what a newsflash

So what the hell do you do with the ones holding the springs? Always leave them in the same place? Then wth are the wrenches used for turning the whole shock?
Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

So wait, I can't see your guys' pics at work, you're saying the very bottom one is used for adjustment? so you screw the whole lower piece along the shock? I was under the impression that by moving the spring up and down (what my chasis shop guy showed me was the way to lower/raise, based on the height of the spring) Wow that's totally not how I did my omnis... So that would explain why there is a gap of grease on the left ones at the bottom, right?

http://www.caffeine.nu/~yoda/d2beotches/100_2885.JPG

So you're tellin me that you have to adjust the very bottom one? Man what a newsflash

So what the hell do you do with the ones holding the springs? Always leave them in the same place? Then wth are the wrenches used for turning the whole shock?
Chris, thats correct, you use the last bottom most collar and spin the shock body up/down to adjust the height. My guess is that you had your omnis setup all wrong. The point of having the top two collars is to set the preload and to MAINTAIN the same preload no matter what height you set the car. It makes sense, you just set the load you want with the springs and then adjust the shock body so that spring compressiong/rebound/etc remains the same throughout all heights of the car. The wrenches are still used for all collars. When you need to adjust any of them.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

weaksauce. I had TWO collars removed, spring all the way down and strut all the way up. They basically sandwiched the collar in the rear.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Straight from a Ksport Rep:

"The spring perches should be adjusted so the spring is not loose at full extension, but not compressed either. Loosening can cause the spring to move over bumps, and compression will affect rebound."

From Ksport's Instruction manual:

Step 1: Raise the spring perch enough to snug the spring, but not compress it. Use the locking collar to tighten the spring perch in place.

Step 2: Thread the lower mount UP to lower, and DOWN to raise the vehicle to the desired ride height.

Step 3: When the desired ride height is achieved, use the lower mount’s locking collar to secure the mount in place.

**Mods, I have the pdf install manual for the ksports. Can I send it to someone so you can post it?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Ciao Pho Eva eva

Lol dont worry the omni's are still stiff as shit and i adjusted them properly..

BUt yea i did see ur green sharpie marks and it does make sense that u adjusted them wrong now.. haha..

I just adjusted it by spinning the entire bottom part around, which was easier because it doesnt affect the top part at all.. But u do have to take that shit apart..
Old 07-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Here's a response I got directly from K Sports themselves...

"It is true not to compress with the spring perches unless you want to affect preload for tuning reasons. Ride height should be adjusted with the lower mount. It is not bad to adjust with the spring perch, just not recommended unless you are trying to tune the suspension. It will not void warranty. I attached instructions.

-Nick J.
Ksport Suspension Company
info@ksportusa.com"
Old 07-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Originally Posted by klepto
weaksauce. I had TWO collars removed, spring all the way down and strut all the way up. They basically sandwiched the collar in the rear.

haha oh I believe you, crazy ass lol

I might go a little lower but cant until i roll the rear fenders completely to install the 20mm spacers...cuz right now my rim lip is about a finger from my fender and its curbing a bit when i hit dips
Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Palayah8ta
Lol dont worry the omni's are still stiff as shit and i adjusted them properly..

BUt yea i did see ur green sharpie marks and it does make sense that u adjusted them wrong now.. haha..

I just adjusted it by spinning the entire bottom part around, which was easier because it doesnt affect the top part at all.. But u do have to take that shit apart..

Nah the green sharpie marks weren't from me, they were there when I bought them. I just can't believe I was adjusting them like that, this all makes more sense. The sad thing is, the reason I adjusted on the spring was cuz the chasis shop guy that installed my suspension was adjusting the top collar with the spring Boy guess I really got my moneys worth, especially since he left me face down ass up and took my money

Oh well, thanks for the info guys, I thought cocoa was crazy in dallas when he was tellin me to "turn the whole shock" I was like no way that's not how you do it god i can't wait to put my d2's on, all you fawks with your ksports and d2's make me want to install them even more
Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

to turn the whole shock body, the easiest way is to turn the top collar (the one right under the spring) clockwise...it'll spin the whole shock body so that it lowers down to the level of the bottom height collar.