I Want To Lower My Car Where Do I Start?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2002 | 05:18 AM
Intermediate

I Want To Lower My Car Where Do I Start?!?

I SEARCHED THROUGH THE POSTS AND I CANT FIND AN EXACT ANSWER TO MY QUESTION, I WANT TO LOWER MY CAR, BUT KEEP MY SMOOTH RIDE IS THAT POSSIBLE? I ALSO DONT WANT MY RIMS TO HAVE AN ANGLE TO THEM. I WANT TO BUY EVERYTHING THAT I WOULD POSSIBLY NEED AT ONCE, (ie SHOCKS, SPRINGS, STRUTS?, CHAMBER KIT?) I HAVE 225/40/18RZ'S ON MY MY CAR AND THE TIRE IS EXTREMELY CLOSE TO THE STRUT TOWER. SUGGESTIONS? WHICH COMBO OF COMPONENTS DO YOU GUYS HAVE AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY? SORRY BOUT THE LONG POST
Old 02-17-2002 | 08:46 AM
Scooby Guru

The stock suspension has a smooth ride because it has low spring rates and long travel. To keep the smooth ride, you need to retain low spring rates. However, if you keep those rates and lower the car, you end up with not enough suspension travel when you hit bumps because the springs will be too weak to prevent the shocks from bottoming out.

With that being said, the Eibach Sportlines are probably the closest match to what you need. They give bigger drop than the Prokits and have softer spring rates. Keep in mind that this setup is more for show/street than race because a very low car with soft springs doesn't make for a great track car.

With that big a drop, you'll need a CAMBER (not chamber) kit unless you enjoy replacing tires every few thousand miles and like suboptimal handling/braking/acceleration. And you'll need new shocks that can cope with the big drop (stock ones can't, at least not for very long, so you'll save money replacing everything at once).

And our cars have shocks... struts are shocks but they also serve to locate the wheels.

I don't have any experience with an airbag suspension, but that may be the ticket. It's not going to handle well though.
Old 02-17-2002 | 01:45 PM
Racer

lower your car and keep smooth ride???

well.........thats kinda hard to achieve......

RidinLow....how do you know the sportlines have softer spring rates???? I have been in cars that have sportlines and they feel firmer.....I always felt my prokits are TOO SOFT.
Old 02-17-2002 | 02:54 PM
Scooby Guru

You're right, just found this at Tire Rack:

Pro-Kit spring sets typically lower vehicles about .75" to 1.25" and increase the spring rate just enough to provide an enthusiast's balance between ride comfort and handling.

Sportline spring sets typically provide increased vehicle lowering (as low as Eibach suspension engineers say you can realistically go on the street) of about 1.5" to 2.0" and further increase the spring rate to improve handling and help prevent the car from "bottoming out" over bumps and rough pavement. The Sportline spring set's goal is to make the car as low as possible.

What settings are you running your AGX's at?
Old 02-17-2002 | 04:40 PM
Cause stock sux.

I'm curious. How many of you guys have ONLY a prokit installed (no aftermarket shocks or camber kit) and are experiencing no problems what so ever?
Old 02-17-2002 | 05:46 PM
Ham Sandwich

i had ground control coil overs and my car was slammed to the ground.. like a fist off the ground in any spot of the body.. tuckin rim in the back.. with stock shocks.. until they blew up in a f0de fashion and i bought kyb's..
Old 02-17-2002 | 08:19 PM
Racer

I did not install my AGX's and prokits at the same time...I put the springs in first. The ride was ok at first....but after 2 months....IT WAS BOUNCING LIKE CRAZY.

I strongly suggest to anybody considering springs.....to buy shocks at the same time so they can be installed at the same time.
Old 02-17-2002 | 08:36 PM
Racer

OK....Sorry for diverging a bit....BACK TO MASOUD'S QUESTION:

How low do you want it? Prokits will leave a 2 finger gap and sportlines will give you a "flush" look.

My advice: Forget about smooth ride....just go ahead and lower your car...the gains in handling performance will make you forget about smooth ride!!!

Suspension upgrades are more fun than air filters, exhaust, etc.
Old 02-17-2002 | 08:38 PM
Instructor

Re: I Want To Lower My Car Where Do I Start?!?

Originally posted by Masoud
I SEARCHED THROUGH THE POSTS AND I CANT FIND AN EXACT ANSWER TO MY QUESTION, I WANT TO LOWER MY CAR, BUT KEEP MY SMOOTH RIDE IS THAT POSSIBLE? I ALSO DONT WANT MY RIMS TO HAVE AN ANGLE TO THEM. I WANT TO BUY EVERYTHING THAT I WOULD POSSIBLY NEED AT ONCE, (ie SHOCKS, SPRINGS, STRUTS?, CHAMBER KIT?) I HAVE 225/40/18RZ'S ON MY MY CAR AND THE TIRE IS EXTREMELY CLOSE TO THE STRUT TOWER. SUGGESTIONS? WHICH COMBO OF COMPONENTS DO YOU GUYS HAVE AND WHAT WOULD YOU DO DIFFERENTLY? SORRY BOUT THE LONG POST

Go to the March 2nd, San Mateo Meet. I am sure those guys can answer all your questions, plus you get to check out their cars. Besides, an S2000 is gonna show up as well.
Old 02-18-2002 | 06:57 PM
Intermediate

Thanks

Aye RidinLow and HeavyP,
thanks for te advice, i am probably going with the sportlines, i want about a 2.2 inch drop in the front and 2 inch in the back. What happens with 4 passengers in the car? What brand and type of shocks would i need? is the install on the camber kit hard? I have done a spring exchange before but never spring/shocks/and camber. I to your knowledge!
Old 02-18-2002 | 07:00 PM
Intermediate

MArch 2nd meEt?

carlsonho, i'll try to make it out to the meet. Is it in the shopping center near Armadillo Willy's? Any 1st gens showing up?:sqnteek: