How Many Watts In Bose 6x9s???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Many Watts In Bose 6x9s???

Well,

Im just wantin to know this real quick, before I purchase some aftermarket 6x9s. Ive got a 97 3.0 (if that matters), and I like the sound of the Bose system, actually....but i just want some more bass. So i figured changing out the 6x9s can fix that problem. So what Im wanting to know is how many watts are the Bose 6x9 speakers? Im lookin at some Pioneers that are 400 watts max each (so 800 for the pair). I just wanna see how large an improvement that is compared to the Bose speakers. So if someone could post up the max wattage (preferably), RMS, or whatever...that would be awesome! Definitely would help me out a lot, lookin to buy 6x9s ASAP, so a quick reponse would be great! Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
400 watt 6x9's? my 12" subs are only 300 watts RMS each. my alpine type r 6x9's are 120W Peak Power 50W RMS. Im guessing the stock bose are like 20w RMS, maybe not even that
Old 09-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i dunno the wattage, but go aftermarket regardless.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Advanced

well theyre 400 watts max, not RMS. Heres an ebay link to the ones I'm lookin at....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...720740232&rd=1

I see you said your Alpines are only 120W max, but then 50W RMS....these 6x9s are 400W max, but then only up to 80W RMS. It seems they would be up above 100W RMS, if youre 120W Alpines get 50W RMS out of em....ya get what Im tryin to say? heh. Oh well...80W is definitely better than 25W or less, which i now know is what the Bose 6x9s are good for! I was lookin for maybe double the bass, so these should work out well.

Thanks for the quick help, Klepto...u think i should get these off eBay? 90 bucks shipped is a helluva deal for some pretty powerful 6x9s, as well as being Pioneer.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Moderator

wow, 5 way speakers, thats kinda crazy. Anyways have you even heard this speakers? I would recommend taking a trip down to your local good guys or whereever and listening to their speaker selection
Old 09-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Senior Moderator

oh, and ikesound is selling them for $65 http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/1166
Old 09-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Hate to break it to you, but you're not going to get double the bass out of any replacement 6X9. The highs will be louder as well as overall volume (due to multi element and more efficient speakers), but if you want more bass you're going to have to get a subwoofer and amp.

BTW, I agree with Klepto, go down to a reputable car audio dealer and take a listen to some speaker setups.

Just my , take it for what it's worth......
Old 09-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Advanced

Wow, nice find Klepto! I didnt bother checkin Ike Sounds or anyone like that, cuz i figured the lowest price would be on eBay. Very cool....definitely gonna go through them, if i get these.

Well I took your advice, and i was just out for the last hour and a half or so goin to a few sound stores around town. None of them even carried this specific model of the Pioneer 6x9, so i wasnt able to hear what they sounded like, but i heard some less powerful Pioneers, and even they sounded like an improvement compared to the Bose speakers, so thats always good. A guy at one of the stores was tellin me to not bother with the 5-way speakers, and was sayin that 2 or 3 way were better....any truth in this? They may be better, but these 5-ways seem to be the most powerful i could find. Right now, im still leaning towards getting them anyway, i mean...for 65 bucks, thats awesome. And in the end, if i still want more bass, maybe I'll get a sub, but i really dont wanna bother with any of that trunkspace being taken up, and rattling (even with Dynamat), already been through the rattling nonsense in my previous car and i hated it.

circuitcah....

yeah i knew i wasnt exactly going to get double the bass of the Bose setup, but i definitely just wanted more bass, and so hopefully this purchase will help me out.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:54 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by CLintheSTL
Well,

Im just wantin to know this real quick, before I purchase some aftermarket 6x9s. Ive got a 97 3.0 (if that matters), and I like the sound of the Bose system, actually....but i just want some more bass. So i figured changing out the 6x9s can fix that problem. So what Im wanting to know is how many watts are the Bose 6x9 speakers? Im lookin at some Pioneers that are 400 watts max each (so 800 for the pair). I just wanna see how large an improvement that is compared to the Bose speakers. So if someone could post up the max wattage (preferably), RMS, or whatever...that would be awesome! Definitely would help me out a lot, lookin to buy 6x9s ASAP, so a quick reponse would be great! Thanks in advance.

peak wattage is an almost useless figure, rms tells you much more abotu the driver, also why do you think that a speaker, with a higher rms/max rated wattage is better? you have been misled.

i would be careful with the under powered stock amp the speakers will be easy to blow.. id learn a little more about car audio before making such modifications.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:55 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by KLepTo
wow, 5 way speakers, thats kinda crazy. Anyways have you even heard this speakers? I would recommend taking a trip down to your local good guys or whereever and listening to their speaker selection

say goodbye to sound quality, a 5way coxial
Old 09-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Moderator

yea, I too would go with a 2 or 3 way setup, for some reason the 5 way just seems too gimmicky, like theres TOO many bells and whistles. Anyways, the trunk of the cl is pretty big, I have 2 12's and a ported box and can still fit some stuff in there. You dont have to get anything big, just a small sub (1 10" or 1 12") can really add a lot of depth to your music that the 6x9's just cant. It depends on what kind of music you listen to and what youre going for. For me, I listen to a lot of hip hop and sometimes its just fun to drive around blasting your music, setting off car alarms, and pissing people old people off. Yea, i know im an ass
Old 09-20-2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Hobo
peak wattage is an almost useless figure, rms tells you much more abotu the driver, also why do you think that a speaker, with a higher rms/max rated wattage is better? you have been misled.

i would be careful with the under powered stock amp the speakers will be easy to blow.. id learn a little more about car audio before making such modifications.
good shit hobo, sounds like you know your stuff

oh, and do you have a spoiler? (clinthestl) I dont and my trunk hardly rattles, unlike my friends prelude, that thing rattles like hell
Old 09-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Well then how bout u suggest some quality 6x9 speakers, Hobo....cuz now Im thinkin twice and lookin elsewhere, but you didnt exactly leave me with anything to look into....

Klepto...

nah, dont have a spoiler. I noticed when i first got my CL that the underside (inside) of the trunk lid was carpeted, and i was wondering if that could possibly prevent a little bit of rattling if i were to put a sub in the back. But maybe not, cuz its pretty thin, heh. Btw, Klepto....do u have ur trunk Dynamatted at all? I noticed that u said ur trunk hardly rattles. Man...if it wasnt for that lousy rattling, Id have subs in my trunk in a second. But I had two 12s in my previous Accord, even had the trunk Dynamatted and it still rattled pretty bad if u were standing next to the trunk and listening to it, but on the inside of the car the bass sounded real nice.

Somethin i was thinkin about was just eliminating the backseat altogether, and doing some sort of enclosure, using the back part of the backseat. I was thinkin of like makin a wall with mounted subs, facing into the cabin. I dunno if thats even possible, but i was thinkin the bass would be smoother, since they were pounding right into the cabin, similar to an SUV. And also, the main reason i was thinkin of that idea, was because the bass wouldnt be all kept in the trunk, causing the rattling that i hate. So maybe if i had the subs facing into the cabin, there wouldnt be any trunk rattling, haha. Sorry....but trunk rattling is an absolute pet peeve of mine!!
Old 09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

The trunk of the cl is suprsingly heavy, I would knock on my trunk and it sounded solid and then I would knock oh my friends prelude and it sounded hollow. My trunk doesnt rattle that much. i did put on some stuff thats just like dynamat on my trunk lid but to be honest, it didnt do a damn thing. Ask azn5ucka86, or llwesman, they were at the meet we had a while ago and they heard my system. They both have subs and a spoiler and it rattled a bit more than mine. Just put the subs in there, it wont rattle that much

for some good 6x9's i would suggest looking at bostons, alpines, focals, mb quartz, pioneer, theyre all good brands. Just get a 2 or 3 way
Old 09-20-2004, 07:16 PM
drewLS6 soon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
400 watt 6x9's? my 12" subs are only 300 watts RMS each. my alpine type r 6x9's are 120W Peak Power 50W RMS. Im guessing the stock bose are like 20w RMS, maybe not even that

120 w peak for 6x9 is pretty bad the 6 1/2 s I had in my car were 225w($100/pair) peak per speaker. And the subs($130/sub) I was gonna get,decided to get my cl instaed, were 2200w max a peice.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Instructor

It's all in the how 'true' the numbers are, Drew. Many car audio manufacturers rate their equipment with useless numbers that don't apply in the real world. Alpine happens to be one that uses real world numbers so they look lower than many others. Look for this in speakers: RMS (or continuous) power handling @ all frequencies (20Hz to 20000 Hz). It has to be qualified to be real. Like Hobo said, peak numbers are completely worthless in most cases.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by drewJ32A2
120 w peak for 6x9 is pretty bad the 6 1/2 s I had in my car were 225w($100/pair) peak per speaker. And the subs($130/sub) I was gonna get,decided to get my cl instaed, were 2200w max a peice.
wow, youre cool ever heard of companies underrating their products?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
drewLS6 soon

$135 for 2 way 6x9 kappas
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ProductID=12497

$165 for 3 way 6x9 kappas
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ProductID=12496

I suggest these, best speakers ive found for the price
Old 09-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Senior Moderator

$135 for 2 way 6x9 kappas
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ProductID=12497

$165 for 3 way 6x9 kappas
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ProductID=12496

I suggest these, best speakers ive found for the price
links aint working for me buddy
Old 09-20-2004, 07:49 PM
drewLS6 soon

Infinity kappas 110 rms so thats close to what you said your speakers peak is http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarA...ProductID=12497

subs i were talking about(now $110) 1100 rms

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/ca...ct+%23=AW1206Q
Old 09-20-2004, 07:55 PM
drewLS6 soon

links aint working for me buddy

Well thats the sites issue just go to the site and search for infinity speakers.

I wasnt trying to say your speakers suck but you talk like they are great cus u say bose are 20w rms and yours are more than double that. I have bose speakers in my car not sure how diff they are from first gen CLs but mine sound very well and have alot of bass for no subs.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:59 PM
drewLS6 soon

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YU3tcbQ...&avf=N&search=

I dont know if this link will work.But it should
Old 09-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Advanced

How bout the Infinity Reference 6x9 speakers? The 2-ways are on sale on onlinecarstereo for $89. Then the 3-ways are $109, with free shipping. Theyre both 2-100 watts RMS. And i know that Infinity is one of the better brands out there. As for your provided list of better brands, Klepto, the guy at the sound shop who also guided me away from the 5-way speakers talked highly of the MB Quartz. So ill have to look into those as well. But for now, how bout those Infinitys, im guessin theyre quality...?
Old 09-20-2004, 08:46 PM
drewLS6 soon

They are very good quality I had mine in my civic when i had it. I had them for 2 years and i ran them hard with an aftermarket head unit. Never had any problems with them. Also many of my friends have infinities and love the sound.

A thread with some other people talking about Infinity speakers

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94609
Old 09-20-2004, 09:31 PM
8th Gear

What the FUCK was Pioneer Thinking when they made a 5-way speaker

Its not really 400 watts they lie, and the speaker sounds like shit, I am forced to sell the stupid things Pioneer adds 50 watts per extra bullshit tweeter low = 125 mid = 125 watts tweeter #1 50 watts #2 50 watts #3 50 watts
a 3 way speaker is all u need with lows mids and highs if that speaker was ever legally rated max power would be between 85 - `115 watts I hate false advertisment pioneer makes great head units and shitttttty speaker go with fosgate or amplify the bose ones until they Blow.....
MY car is stock stereo and it sucks i wanna know more about takin apart my 2001 Acura CL type S

Is each speaker really amplifed? is there really no amp built into the head unit (bose 6 disk in-dash ?

Who knows the truth about my stereo system??
anyone takin it apart yet `?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I wasnt trying to say your speakers suck but you talk like they are great cus u say bose are 20w rms and yours are more than double that. I have bose speakers in my car not sure how diff they are from first gen CLs but mine sound very well and have alot of bass for no subs.
when did i say that my speakers were so great? I just didnt believe that there was actually a 6x9 that was 400 watts, so I posted the specs to my 6x9's for comparison. Then you came along and said that my speakers were "sad" and then proceded to boast about the crazy high watts that the subs and speakers that you were gonna get had.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:45 PM
i like orange juice

Originally Posted by xklipze
Its not really 400 watts they lie, and the speaker sounds like shit, I am forced to sell the stupid things Pioneer adds 50 watts per extra bullshit tweeter low = 125 mid = 125 watts tweeter #1 50 watts #2 50 watts #3 50 watts
a 3 way speaker is all u need with lows mids and highs if that speaker was ever legally rated max power would be between 85 - `115 watts I hate false advertisment pioneer makes great head units and shitttttty speaker go with fosgate or amplify the bose ones until they Blow.....
MY car is stock stereo and it sucks i wanna know more about takin apart my 2001 Acura CL type S

Is each speaker really amplifed? is there really no amp built into the head unit (bose 6 disk in-dash ?

well..they very very very first thing you should do...is post in second gen..not first gen
Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Flap.

Well then how bout u suggest some quality 6x9 speakers, Hobo....cuz now Im thinkin twice and lookin elsewhere, but you didnt exactly leave me with anything to look into....
i would recomend that you run some quality speakers on an out board amp that is getting a decent signal from an aftermarket reciever.

that being said, I'd recommend JL, http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11407

alpine
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12073

mb quart
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11009

Focal
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12967
Old 09-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

i would recomend that you run some quality speakers on an out board amp that is getting a decent signal from an aftermarket reciever.
if youre gonna be running some aftermarket speakers, youre gonna need a new headunit and an amp that can properly power those suckers
Old 09-21-2004, 12:17 AM
drewLS6 soon

when did i say that my speakers were so great? I just didnt believe that there was actually a 6x9 that was 400 watts, so I posted the specs to my 6x9's for comparison. Then you came along and said that my speakers were "sad" and then proceded to boast about the crazy high watts that the subs and speakers that you were gonna get had.

you have quotes around sad, i dont see where i ever said that. I didnt say your speakers sound shitty im sure they sound better than stock but i simply sad that the 50 watts rms for a 6x9 is bad. the more wattage doenst mean its better, just most of the time. And i did have the speakers i posted up here just not the subs. And its "crazy" you say, yeah 1100watts rms for a sub is crazy but its true, and so is the wattage for the speakers.

I dont know if your seakers have a tweeter or mid on them, if they dont 50 watts rms isnt bad.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:21 AM
drewLS6 soon

that being said, I'd recommend JL, http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11407

alpine
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12073

mb quart
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11009

Focal
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=12967

The infinities are cheaper than all of those but one. And the infinities have better all around specs.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

good shit hobo, sounds like you know your stuff

oh, and do you have a spoiler? (clinthestl) I dont and my trunk hardly rattles, unlike my friends prelude, that thing rattles like hell

good thing u dont have 1 cause even with my whole trunk matted, i broke my spoiler (middle post) and now it really rattles bad.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Flap.

Originally Posted by xklipze

what fo you think teh power rating on teh speaker means, how would you know if they lied, i hope you dont think higher peak = louder

it depends on your amplifier....

lots of people have done things tothe 2nd gen sound system, for more details go toTHE RIGHT FORUM.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Flap.

The infinities are cheaper than all of those but one. And the infinities have better all around specs.

it really depends what you are looking for before you can determine what specs are really better

for example, sound stage :

its easier to determine the location of high freq drivers so you dont even really want those comming from behind, this is why many people opt for no rear speakers (my current setup) aside from subwoofers. high frequencies commign from behind you can (and usualy does, muddle the sound stasge for higher frequencies that should be heard out in front of the listener.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Well now i think im leaning towards Infinity Kappas...the 3-way 6x9s. For some reason, i had forgot about Infinity when searching for speakers. What does everyone think about this decision? Seems i could get em for about $140 shipped off eBay...not exactly what i was wanting to pay, but hey....i guess u gotta pay more for better quality. So i'll take the dive and spend the extra 50 or so bucks. After researching certain specs in 6x9s, i think these Kappas should do the trick! Thanks for eeevverryones help! DEFINITELY played a factor in my purchase decision!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Flap.

Well now i think im leaning towards Infinity Kappas...the 3-way 6x9s. For some reason, i had forgot about Infinity when searching for speakers. What does everyone think about this decision? Seems i could get em for about $140 shipped off eBay...not exactly what i was wanting to pay, but hey....i guess u gotta pay more for better quality. So i'll take the dive and spend the extra 50 or so bucks. After researching certain specs in 6x9s, i think these Kappas should do the trick! Thanks for eeevverryones help! DEFINITELY played a factor in my purchase decision!
just curious what specs made you choose them?

also its a waste of money to put a 3 way speaker set in the rear deck...IMHO