Headlights don't work?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005 | 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Headlights don't work?!?!

Hi all, I have a 97 CL 2.2 with a strange problem. We were driving home last night at dusk, and I noticed the headlights weren't on after I turned them on. Both were dead. I've checked the under hood fuses and both bulbs, and both seem to be fine. For some reason, after fiddling with the bulbs and such, and the GF sitting inside turning them on and off, finally the driver's side turned on so we just drove home. But now it won't come back, and the passenger is still dead. Any ideas what to look for, or if there are common issues with this? I did a quick search, but didn't come up with anything similar. Possibly the switch or ????? PLEASE HELP!
Old 05-14-2005 | 02:21 PM
Banned

did you check the wiring? could be loose connectors if the bulbs turned on after messing around with em.
Old 05-14-2005 | 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, the wiring seems solid, looks clean, and they plug tight. This sort of thing is a common problem with my other ride, a Nissan Pathfinder. The connectors in the switch wear out and or bend out of alignment, which is why I questioned the switch here. I found it weird that both stopped working. Also, I had fiddled with that light on the driver's side, then moved over to the passenger side and had the GF switch it of and back on, and the drivers side worked. But then it wouldn't when we got home, and neither with light up now. I'm gonna go out and check with a meter in a bit. Oh, and high beams work fine by the way.
Old 05-14-2005 | 02:57 PM
Intermediate

Ok, a quick update after testing. I've got full voltage at the socket/bulb grounding to the chassis, but no ground in either plug. So somewhere along the way, I guess I've got a bad ground. Does anybody know the routing of the headlight ground from the bulb socket to chassis?
Old 05-15-2005 | 01:50 AM
'07 November = STI

Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles
Ok, a quick update after testing. I've got full voltage at the socket/bulb grounding to the chassis, but no ground in either plug. So somewhere along the way, I guess I've got a bad ground. Does anybody know the routing of the headlight ground from the bulb socket to chassis?
man.. i wish i knew..

maybe some animal is nawing at your wires at night.. u might wanna look into that.. lol.. but that might be a long shot..
Old 05-15-2005 | 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by legendaryCL98
man.. i wish i knew..

maybe some animal is nawing at your wires at night.. u might wanna look into that.. lol.. but that might be a long shot..
damn critters, get a dog and let them kill the critters. :dog:

My pit bull's my guard dog.

Old 05-18-2005 | 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Pickles,

Did u ever find that wiring diagram? My entire right lights (high,low,side marker) don't work at all. Fuse is fine and gets power but after checking plugs there is no power getting to it. So it's somewhere in the wire or ground..... This all happened when I put in Nokya Stage 2 bulbs..... Funny thing is Left side is fine with the bulbs.
Old 05-22-2005 | 11:18 PM
Racer

I have had a lot of problems with my similar Silver Stars, I get a DRL fault every once in a while, I just take the bulb out and put it back in and usually it is fine. Also blown quite a few of them, and the store blames it on me and never admits to anything. All in all I am not impressed with the performance of these types of bulbs, for what they cost.

I might just rip out the factory wiring and rewire the whole thing if I had a permanent problem.

Originally Posted by vaderx
Pickles,

Did u ever find that wiring diagram? My entire right lights (high,low,side marker) don't work at all. Fuse is fine and gets power but after checking plugs there is no power getting to it. So it's somewhere in the wire or ground..... This all happened when I put in Nokya Stage 2 bulbs..... Funny thing is Left side is fine with the bulbs.
Old 05-24-2005 | 03:54 PM
Cruisin'

I blew my DRL module with Nokya Stage 2's. Mechanic put a new one in and could tell it was heating up with those bulbs, they were removed immedietly. I guess try to stick to the recommend bulb wattage.
Old 05-24-2005 | 04:18 PM
Peace, Love & Acura

Your multi-combo switch has failed. You will need to remove and replace it. The contacts inside the switch have failed. Soon, your dash lights, and turn signals will fail too. I had this happen on my old civic. Replaced the switch and all was well again. Actually, you will want a cerified acura tech to do this because it will intail removing the steering wheel, with the airbag. It is not suggested that inexperienced persons try to service this as it could be potentially fatal if the airbag deployed in your face without restraint.