headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007 | 03:26 AM
SANJOCL

headers

so ive been searching the boards and you guys always refer to the ssautochrome headers so i went on ebay to search for them and i found the seller. heres the link

ssautochrome headers

i just wanted to know if these were the right ones. i didnt wanna buy them and they didnt fit...

also ive read from my searches on your guy's messages that this is a perfect fit with out any bending on a 1999 3.0 cl...is that true?
Old 02-19-2007 | 03:55 AM
Turtle Charged, Biotcch!!

"perfect fit".... i wish... it's a subjective term, one person's perfect fit is another's nightmare. I don't know about 99 but i have a 97 and the headers doesn't fit perfectly: the downpipe (the one behind the engine) needs to be bend closer to the collector pipe. Just be prepared to dish out another $60-80 for a muffler shop to correct it...
Old 02-19-2007 | 11:42 AM
1997 CL 3.0 Premium (K)

I bought some headers off ebay, they're just sitting in my room as I wait for a chance to put them in. They have a second bendy joint thing near the engine end. They say T-Pros on them. I hope they fit.
Old 02-19-2007 | 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Jtbecool
I bought some headers off ebay, they're just sitting in my room as I wait for a chance to put them in. They have a second bendy joint thing near the engine end. They say T-Pros on them. I hope they fit.
G'luck with that, let us know how the install goes
Old 02-19-2007 | 12:29 PM
1997 CL 3.0 Premium (K)

Thanks, I kind of like having them in my room. The chicks dig the bling factor of them.
Old 02-19-2007 | 12:35 PM
1997 CL 3.0 Premium (K)

Here's a link if anyones interested or has already installed them.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/T-Pros-Performanc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-19-2007 | 01:11 PM
SANJOCL

Originally Posted by Sleep_DEPRIVED_Sleeper
"perfect fit".... i wish... it's a subjective term, one person's perfect fit is another's nightmare. I don't know about 99 but i have a 97 and the headers doesn't fit perfectly: the downpipe (the one behind the engine) needs to be bend closer to the collector pipe. Just be prepared to dish out another $60-80 for a muffler shop to correct it...

but those headers that i gave you guys the link to are the right ones? oh wait but you said you had a 97...crap...lol.....

i read on one of your posts that you had the same prob with the ssautos? did you ever get it to fit? howd you do it..
Old 02-19-2007 | 01:28 PM
Banned

Yeah I've never heard of anyone having a problem bolting the SS ones on but, there's a problem getting the center bar back on that is underneath the headers. I guess everyone just left it off since it's not necessary. My mechanic cut a piece out of the bar to make it fit when he installed my headers. Those T-pros look interesting that's the first I've seen of those. They have two mesh parts which could be good and it could be bad since those spots are common for loud exhaust leaks but the also reduce stress on the headers and allow there to be some movement in the exhaust pipes. It also looks like the o2 sensor bung hole is closed which will not allow you to use the o2 sensor which will lead to an annoying check engine light. Well wait is that bung hole closed shut or is there a bolt in there, it's hopefully a removable bolt.
Old 02-19-2007 | 03:44 PM
1997 CL 3.0 Premium (K)

Yeah its removable, I'll let you guys know how it goes when i install, but I probably wont be doing so for another 3 weeks. Too busy with school and all.
Old 02-19-2007 | 03:56 PM
SANJOCL

headers are going to be my last performance mod. my mechanic moved so i dont have any access to tools and machines anymore...id love to get all that stuff myself but id have no room to put it..haha...

hopefully one of you guys have a 99 3.0 cl that has put headers on their cars so they can put some insight...sleep_deprived seems like youve had a hell of a time tryin to put your headers on so your insight is highly appreciated.....

i dont wanna buy those headers if they arent the right ones...

man i wish i had a ferrari or something so i wouldnt have to mod it..hahaha...someone lemme borrow 400k
Old 02-19-2007 | 04:07 PM
Turtle Charged, Biotcch!!

Originally Posted by Germ
but those headers that i gave you guys the link to are the right ones? oh wait but you said you had a 97...crap...lol.....

i read on one of your posts that you had the same prob with the ssautos? did you ever get it to fit? howd you do it..
Yup, it was fun time trying to fit the pipes correctly (the headers fits perfectly, the problem was with the pipes).

I went to 2 diff shops (respectable ones too) and one of them could not line up the collector pipe with the cat; the other did line it up and connected everything (had to bend the exhaust pipes).

However, after driving for 10 minutes, the vibration due to the heatshield on the exhaust pipes hitting the undercarriage was so severe the car SHOOOOOK.

I had to take it off.

Now i'm waiting to try bending the downpipe like i mentioned previously, just don't have time to do it right now because of midterms and finals coming up.

I went to two muffler shops and asked for a quote and the cheapest one is $65, but i have to put on the headers (only), then either run open-header to the shop or have a flatbed tow it to the shop....

Hope that helps. I have never heard anyone having as much trouble with the SS as i have.

Note that you will lose the subframe/ tow hook when you install the SSauto.

P.S. Anyone knows if running open-header/ open cat will damage my car (besides the pipes dragging)?
Old 02-19-2007 | 04:25 PM
Banned

It might damage your hearing with not exhaust or cat, it's illegal not only for enviromental but also noise violation. You'd also lose alot of low end torque by losing alot of back pressure.
Old 02-19-2007 | 04:58 PM
SANJOCL

thanks sleep...that actually worries me a little...hahaha....but very thorough....

please tell me someone has a 99 3.0 that has ssautos on them.....

i hope this doesnt run me too much...but then again like you guys always say..you gotta pay to play...
Old 02-19-2007 | 06:27 PM
Banned

there's no difference between the 97-99CL 3.0 engine bays, if it fits on a 97 or my 98 it will fit on your 99, there's no difference. In fact these headers also fit on the 01 02 03 CL, they didn't skip compatability with the 99 year and make it work with all the other models. Oh and it fits the TL and the Cl type-s too. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-19-2007 | 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Daniel, did you just leave the crossbar off to make it fit right?
Old 02-19-2007 | 07:25 PM
Banned

My mechanic actually cut out a piece of the crossbar so that it wouldn't hit the header when he put it back on I've always promised to take a pic of it but never have, now that I have ramps at my house I'll see if I can do it some day. I still wanna get down there and see if I can tighten up some of the bolts on the headers, cat and heatshield. Hopefully that can get rid of some of the rattles I have.
Old 02-20-2007 | 12:35 AM
SANJOCL

what im most worried about is that horrid rattling that sleep_deprived spoke about. so do you guys think i should just go for it and buy it? (referring to the link posted in my first post)