Got my first ticket.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 11:05 PM
Oh yeah!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my first ticket.....

It was completly my fault, I'm an idiot....71 in a 45, I was going to get a cup of coffee after my first class and it was 4 lane across road and I was going up a hill (not an excuse, just saying)....I actually thought it was higher than 45 but I was wrong, I guess it was nice that he only gave me a speeding ticket he could have given me a no front plate on too but he didn't....I asked him if there was anything he could do to help me out since my record is clean, 3 and a half years driving with no tickets, and he said to plead not guilty and he'd help me out, which seemed pretty good to me....I think my court date will be around the end of December so I'm hoping he might not show up....Well just venting alittle....

Melanie
Old 11-23-2002, 11:16 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmm.. Never heard of a cop helping someone out of a speeding ticket. Maybe he was trying to pick up on you.

Just kidding

In cali, you would be able to go to traffic school and the point would go off your record. It would be like you never got a ticket.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:55 AM

Wonder if cops are more sympathetic to women... Or if female cops are sympathetic towards guys. Yeah right.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:34 AM
A-CL Post Whore w/N2O

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about the ticket; but welcome to the club!

I just added 3 points to my record (Failure to control vehicle to avoid a collision)! :thumbsdn:

Good luck with the court date.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:12 AM
Turn Signals are good!

hehe, the court date is on the ticket... tward the bottom it gives the court date, location and everything... trust me, I know... if its a print out ticket its already on your liscence... the hand written tickets take a little more time.

There is a defensive driving program in NY, that takes up to 4 points off your liscence and gives you a 15% reduction on your insurance.
Chances are, being you dont have a record, it'll be much easier to get reduced, or even dropped (which sometimes happens if you get a nice judge). If you can afford it, get a lawyer... thats a pretty hefty ticket there... which means a big fine and a lot of points. Thats 26 mph over the limit... 6 points!!

good luck with it. If you cant get a lawyer, try to talk to the DA... see if you can work something out with him/her. If you need more time, get an ajournment.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Oh yeah!

Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL
hehe, the court date is on the ticket... tward the bottom it gives the court date, location and everything... trust me, I know... if its a print out ticket its already on your liscence... the hand written tickets take a little more time.

There is a defensive driving program in NY, that takes up to 4 points off your liscence and gives you a 15% reduction on your insurance.
Chances are, being you dont have a record, it'll be much easier to get reduced, or even dropped (which sometimes happens if you get a nice judge). If you can afford it, get a lawyer... thats a pretty hefty ticket there... which means a big fine and a lot of points. Thats 26 mph over the limit... 6 points!!

good luck with it. If you cant get a lawyer, try to talk to the DA... see if you can work something out with him/her. If you need more time, get an ajournment.
The court date on the ticket is the 5th but he said when I plead not guilty they will send me a new court date around the end of December. I'm still hoping that he just won't show up but he seemed like he might not try to completley screw me over so maybe he'll drop it to something that won't make my parents kill me and my insurence company raise the rates. I think I'll talk to the cop and the DA like you guys said, maybe they will be in a good mood.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Once I drove from Oneonta to NYC. I was helping someone move into there dorms and had to return the same day. I got so restless I began speeding(more than usual). I sped past a truck on the right and little did I know a cop was doing the same on the other side. I told him the truck was making me nervous because the road was still a little wet from showers earlier that night. He said its a good escuse because he was doing the same. I think he also took pity on me because he knew I was exhausted. He let me off with a broken headlights ticket. I was doing over 95 on a 55. I was so grateful I did 45 the rest of the way home.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:52 AM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by Melanie
The court date on the ticket is the 5th but he said when I plead not guilty they will send me a new court date around the end of December. I'm still hoping that he just won't show up but he seemed like he might not try to completley screw me over so maybe he'll drop it to something that won't make my parents kill me and my insurence company raise the rates. I think I'll talk to the cop and the DA like you guys said, maybe they will be in a good mood.
When you plead not guilty all proceedings stop, and a trial date is set by the Judge... yes, trial. You will be expected to appear at the trial, and the arresting officer will be there... that is what he was talking about.

You still have a little time, so i'd get to the DA and see if he/she is willing to do anything. If not, get a lawyer... the $500 is well worth it!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:34 PM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cops can actually get in real trouble if they do not appear in court without a valid excuse. I'm not too sure that he would risk something like that for someone that he doesn't know.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:52 AM
Instructor

when i went to court i admitted to my offense and if its your first, the judges lessen the charge, if not dismiss it. well, thats how hawaii is anyways