ghost_master or anyone, help with grounding kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006 | 06:12 PM
Banned

ghost_master or anyone, help with grounding kit

I just got my grounding kit from v-6-p and I installed it but now after installing it my ABS light has come on and won't turn off. The light means my anti-lock doesn't work. Is there something I could've done while installing the ground kit to mess it up. The only thing I did different than the directions told me was when connectiing cable 2 and 3 by I guess it was the power steering pulley the first gen didn't have the hole that the 2nd gen has to screw the cables into, so i used a bolt a couple inches away and then bolted the cables there.
Old 09-14-2006 | 09:12 PM
Safety Car

I dunno, you might have knocked loose one of the connectors for ABS. They are all orange, so just look arond in teh engine bay for orangeish plugs near where you put the wiring and make sure they are all plugged in.
Old 09-14-2006 | 09:46 PM
First EVER K24 Turbo CL

ghost... did you see any differences with this ground kit? thanks
Old 09-14-2006 | 10:06 PM
Safety Car

not really, but then again I never really had any electrical issues of any kind. engine starts a bit faster now though, and maybe a slight power gain in the higher rpms, but nothing to brag about.
Old 09-14-2006 | 10:52 PM
Banned

I guess I'll give it a better look over tomorrow to see if there's any loose cables. Is there anything brake related by the first connection point for the first cable. Also do think water may have caused this, because I like to hose down the engine bay so it cools down faster, I figured it was all basically waterproof so I didn't think a little water would cause any problems.
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:00 AM
Safety Car

yes, hosing down engine bay = bad.
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:19 AM
Got DEP???

Arrow omg...

Originally Posted by danielsmi
I guess I'll give it a better look over tomorrow to see if there's any loose cables. Is there anything brake related by the first connection point for the first cable. Also do think water may have caused this, because I like to hose down the engine bay so it cools down faster, I figured it was all basically waterproof so I didn't think a little water would cause any problems.
You can't be serious! You actually hose down your engine bay to cool it down faster!?! I hope you are talking about when you are about to work on the car... How phucking hot does your car run anyways??? You might want to replace the radiator if it stays hot always...
Anyways... You ever heard of the concept that if you cool down hot metal to quickly with cool water, that you can ruin the tensile strength of it?
Kind of like the concept of hot glass and cold water... To test this theory, just spray some cold water onto a hot 75W light bulb (not fluorescent) and see what happens...

Late...
Old 09-15-2006 | 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Hosing down ANY part of the car when hot is a VERY BAD THING. Like when you wash your car and your brakes are hot, you can warp the rotors. Just think what that does to your engine bay. I hope you cover your distributor, alternator and battery before hosing anything as well.
Old 09-15-2006 | 01:45 PM
Banned

wow sorry I didn't think it was that bad. I'm still really new at this. I thought it was a good idea so I don't have to wait as long to start working on my car. I didn't think a little water could cause a bunch or problems.
Old 09-15-2006 | 02:00 PM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
Hosing down ANY part of the car when hot is a VERY BAD THING. Like when you wash your car and your brakes are hot, you can warp the rotors. Just think what that does to your engine bay. I hope you cover your distributor, alternator and battery before hosing anything as well.
You have a distributor??? I thought you had coil packs instead... I'll have to look into that...
Old 09-15-2006 | 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by redsly
You have a distributor??? I thought you had coil packs instead... I'll have to look into that...
Yeah, look into it, I have a distributor
Old 09-25-2006 | 11:33 PM
Banned

Ok so I figured out what it was (well not me but someone else) when installing the grounding kit I removed the stock ground from the ground point where the first cable goes. I thought this kit was replacing the OEM kit and didn't connect the stock ground cable which was connected to the ABS fuse box right next to it. It's hard to see in the instructions and they don't mention it in the instructions that you have to connect the stock ground and the new one. Also I got my crank pulley installed today and brought up to the guy installing it about spraying the engine bay with water and he said he's washed down the engine bay many of times and that it shouldn't be a problem. Also when I think about it when you go to the do it yourself car washes they give you the option to spray down your engine bay with some sort of degreaser cleaner, so I don't see why it would be a problem.
Old 09-25-2006 | 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Let me know when your headers crack from heat to cold. It's not horrible, just not a good idea is all I'm sayin. You def will warp your rotors if you spray them down and have been riding with them for a while. Glad you figured it out. I'll be putting mine in shortly, glad for the tips, any other problems that you ran into, like that mount that didnt' work?
Old 09-26-2006 | 12:51 AM
Banned

Only problem I had installing was with the dumb washers, they are too small to put on. granted they are the same size as the ones on the OEM bolts and the OEM bolts are the same diameter of the replacements. So it couldn't get the washers off the OEM bolts and couldn't put the washers that came with the wires on the replacement bolts. So I went washerless because I didn't have time to go to the store and find new washers. Those OEM washers must've been installed by a robot but last I checked I'm not a robot so I can't do it. Also as I mentioned above the point were you connect contact 2 and 3 together right behind the PS pulley that point doesn't exist in the 1st gen but does in the 2nd gen, I can take a pic tomorrow.............. actually you know what I'm gonna do it right now at 1:20 in the am THAT'S HOW I ROLL!! Be right back .......................................... .................................................. ................... ok I'm back, the first pic is from a 2nd gen CL (I have both at my house) which will show you were you're supposed to connect contacts 2 and 3.
the screw hole with nothing in it is where it's supposed to go

the next pic is the same piece as above but it's on the 1st gen and you can see the difference where there's no screw hole

this last pic is a better pic of where I improvised the contact point
Old 09-26-2006 | 03:00 AM
Safety Car

I just dremeled the connectors at t he 2/3 connection point and used that hole where there is somehting already screwed in and left what was in there unscrewed.
Old 09-26-2006 | 06:58 AM
Got DEP???

Where can I get these?

THAT'S HOW I ROLL!! Be right back .......................................... .................................................. ................... ok I'm back, the first pic is from a 2nd gen CL (I have both at my house) which will show you were you're supposed to connect contacts 2 and 3.

the next pic is the same piece as above but it's on the 1st gen and you can see the difference where there's no screw hole

Granted I have a 2nd Gen, but why didn't you just use that bracket for what looks like a wire harness???
Heh, Kinda looks like (in the last pic) you screwed right int your PS fluid line!
What kit did you use?
It looks like it's a good quality kit, not like the ones you see all over ebay. If you could let me know, I would appreciate it.
Thank You.
Old 09-26-2006 | 07:24 AM
Got DEP???

Never mind, I saw your original post v6-p is what I saw...
They sell good products that you know of?
I was going to buy something from them on ebay the other day, but I wasn't sure. Any feed back from people who have bought from them would be appreciated.
Thanks

Oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with washing your engine bay. I just asked if you were serious about hosing it down to cool it down all the time!!! Now that is why we were saying you could damage your car. Not because of the water, but that you are doing it to cool it.
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

I wash mine all the time, but not when it's hot

And sly, go to v 6 p and check it out, we just did a group buy, took me like a year and a half to get em, cuz they stopped making them fora while, so if you want a quality kit, I'd get on it, and they def sell good stuff
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:57 AM
Banned

I tried to connect it to that screw next to it but I was having fitment issues so I just did what I did above. At first I was worried what was gonna happen when undid that screw but I didn't notice a fluid on the screw and nothing came out, I guess it's just to hold something into place. So I just bolted it there and haven't noticed any problems. I don't own a dremel so I couldn't dremel anything.

OT: Can't you do like a million things with a dremel, so when you say you dremeled something you really could've done a multitude of things to it? the word dremel is like the word smurf ex: "Papa Smurf, Chronic-masturbating smurf was found with his wang cut off and shoved up his smurfhole!!"
Old 09-26-2006 | 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

"Papa Smurf, Chronic-masturbating smurf was found with his wang cut off and shoved up his smurfhole!!"
Um, where the hell did that come from? LOL

And yes, the dremel is a magical mystical tool of epic proportions
Old 09-26-2006 | 09:20 AM
Banned

Um, where the hell did that come from? LOL

And yes, the dremel is a magical mystical tool of epic proportions
A funny Episode of Robot Chicken on Adult Swim.
Old 09-26-2006 | 01:23 PM
Got DEP???

And sly, go to v 6 p and check it out, we just did a group buy, took me like a year and a half to get em, cuz they stopped making them fora while, so if you want a quality kit, I'd get on it, and they def sell good stuff
Why did it take so long for you to receive it if you just did the group buy?
Old 09-26-2006 | 10:00 PM
Banned

they keep running out of the parts at least that was why it took so long for me. I don't think they're doing it for profit at least the people do it aren't getting paid or not much if they are. It took about 2-3 months to get mine. They are saying right now is the best time to buy because the turnaround time is about 2-3 weeks
Old 09-26-2006 | 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by redsly
Why did it take so long for you to receive it if you just did the group buy?
I have been waiting since they did the last gb, but I didn't get on it cuz they ran out of wires and parts. I went in at the begining of the next gb and got them quicker than promised
Old 02-11-2007 | 10:43 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Anyone know what size washers to use for these? Also, what's the deal with 2, and 3? Is there not a mounting point for them? About to put these in, but worried about not connecting 2 and 3.
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:06 PM
2600lb CL

When I installed mine, I noticed no difference.
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:31 PM
Banned

Black I'm gonna quote myself to answer both your questions.

Only problem I had installing was with the dumb washers, they are too small to put on. granted they are the same size as the ones on the OEM bolts and the OEM bolts are the same diameter of the replacements. So it couldn't get the washers off the OEM bolts and couldn't put the washers that came with the wires on the replacement bolts. So I went washerless because I didn't have time to go to the store and find new washers. Those OEM washers must've been installed by a robot but last I checked I'm not a robot so I can't do it. Also as I mentioned above the point were you connect contact 2 and 3 together right behind the PS pulley that point doesn't exist in the 1st gen but does in the 2nd gen, I can take a pic tomorrow.............. actually you know what I'm gonna do it right now at 1:20 in the am THAT'S HOW I ROLL!! Be right back .......................................... .................................................. ................... ok I'm back, the first pic is from a 2nd gen CL (I have both at my house) which will show you were you're supposed to connect contacts 2 and 3.

Oh and to continue the conversation about using water to cool down the engine. Why is that bad but it's ok to put ICE on the intake manifold to cool it down when going to the track or doing dyno runs? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:40 PM
Banned

Oh and that little black wire that is a connection point 1 make sure you reconnect that with the new wire. When I installed I thought the new wire was to replace the little black wire and didn't reconnect it which caused my ABS light to turn on and it didn't turn off until my mechanic reconnected the black wire.
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:41 PM
2600lb CL

Cooler intake charge = more power, to an extent.
Old 02-11-2007 | 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cocoa
Cooler intake charge = more power, to an extent.
I know that, that's my point. I got scolded cause I was using water to cool down my engine before working on it, but then the same people that scolded me will recommend using ICE to cool down the engine when racing and whatnot. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-12-2007 | 01:16 AM
2600lb CL

It is bad for the engine, as well as the electical parts, especially the distributor. For aluminum heads, they could crack.

Most people use ice to put on their CAI or Intake manifold for better 1/4 mile times.

Same goes with the rotors, you never want to use water to cool them down. You could crack those as well like that.
Old 02-12-2007 | 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Cocoa
It is bad for the engine, as well as the electical parts, especially the distributor. For aluminum heads, they could crack.

Most people use ice to put on their CAI or Intake manifold for better 1/4 mile times.

Same goes with the rotors, you never want to use water to cool them down. You could crack those as well like that.
Could def crack the aluminum manifold, which was my point, as well as the electrical components.

Daniel, I read that whole post, I understand the 2 and 3 issue, I guess I was more confused about the black ABS wire but you answered that, the other part of my question was if anyone knows what size washers I should get, or should I just guess?
Old 02-12-2007 | 10:53 PM
Banned

Well you need bigger washers cause there ain't no way your getting the stock ones off the bolts or getting the provided ones on. If you can do that than I will bow to you!! I guess you can take the bolts down to the local hardware store and see what fits. Those washers are like boats in a bottle, I swear they built the bolt around the washer.
Old 02-13-2007 | 12:13 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Word, that's all i needed to know thanx