Getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 12:17 PM
fantabulously chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ripped off?

What's up all. Here is what happened.

I took my car to a friend's shop to have the alternator replaced. They replaced it and the car worked fine. About a month later my breaks started to sqeek so I went back and had the front and rear break pads replaced. The car drove without any problems after that. About a week later the battery light started coming on again. I went back to the shop and they said the alternator was broken again, so they replaced it under warranty. After I picked up the car, I noticed that everytime I turn the steering wheel slightly to the right, the car started making a clicking noise. I took the car back to the shop and they said that the brakepads were too close to the rotors and that my rotors needed to be turned. They said that since Acura uses a different type of rotors they would have to borrow a machine from Midas to turn them. The next day I got a call from my friend and he said that they were unable to turn my rotors and that I would have to get new ones. I said fine, they installed the new rotors. After I got my car back it shakes at around 60 mphs and now instead of the clicking sound it makes a sqeeking sound when I turn the steering wheel slightly to the right. What should I do now? The car has been in and out of that shop all week. They obviously don't know what is wrong with it and are charging me for parts and labor every time they think of an idea to solve the problem. I don't think I needed new rotors since the car wasn't shaking before it went into the shop and since the new rotors were installed it is making the squeeking sound. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2003, 12:24 PM
Instructor

just take it to Acura, it will cost you, but they usually get it done right.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Banned

yea i learned the hard way that if you have any kind of problems, you should take it to acura to get the work done, it will cost more, but it will be done right....case in point

i tried to be cheap and buy new brake pads from auto zone, so i wouldnt have to pay the high price of new pads from the dealership. come to find out, auto zone gave me the wrong ones, and they messed my rotors up, so i had to take it to Acura, get all four rotors turned, plus new pads, shit wound up costing me over 600 bucks, so i learned my lesson
Old 08-01-2003, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

hmm i went to this place and they put "honda" brake pads in the front for 120.00 does that seem right? i think he put the accord ones on is that fine? seems to be fine
Old 08-02-2003, 05:20 AM
Instructor

Don't take your car to a "friend" - I tried to give business to my local garage and it cost me more $$$ in the long run - they screwed up every job. Took me a while to figure out they just didn't know jack about my car.
Old 08-02-2003, 06:11 AM
Suzuka Master

The best is when i went to this cheep ass shop when my "check engine light" was on they told me its fine and just drive it around til it comes back on then bring it back...it said "transmission code" 3 days later my tranny clonked out. Then i get my brakes done there, and they throw on these "awesome" brake pads. VGX. He told me the freakin squeak and squeal will go away after 500-1000miles, 6000miles later still squeakin... lol the shop just sucks i dunno how they even get any buisness...
Old 08-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Racer

Originally posted by r0dxx
hmm i went to this place and they put "honda" brake pads in the front for 120.00 does that seem right? i think he put the accord ones on is that fine? seems to be fine

Yeah that is an average price for the front brake job. Honda parts are fine. That is what the dealer will put on it if you took it to acura.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Racer

Damn sounds like you guys have had some bad experiences, and youve been ripped off very badly. $600 FOR A BRAKE JOB!!!!!!! I just did my entire brake system about 800 miles ago and boy was it worth it to do it myself. 4 honda brand brake pads (what you should be using) = $106, 2 bottles of honda dot fluid = $6, resurface/turn/cut 2 front rotors = $20 at napa auto. The total bill for bleeding brake system, resurfacing front rotors, and new pads all around = $132. Oh yeah and I havent had 1 squeek/click/or squeel almost 1000 miles later. Well worth the 6 hours if you ask me (1 hour spent watching tv while rotors were resurfaced).

I would never take my car to the dealer to do anything not under warranty cause they charge you out the ass. There are auto shops out there that you can trust to do a good job, the hard part is finding them.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:56 AM
Racer

Rodxx take your car to Japtech (oakland and I-95) or Japshop (Hollywood blvd and 441) they both do excellent work on hondas and acuras